Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, let the coaching changes talks begin!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, let the coaching changes talks begin!

My prediction is that we finish 10-2 or 9-3 (I think we might beat USF here on hopefully a cold evening, but lose to Temple & UCF). Navy got beat 35-7 yesterday. ECU is horrible. SMU is OK, but beatable.

So from USA Today:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ay/1536926002/

College coaches know that they are only as good as their last year's record. If UC goes from 4-8 to 9-3.... he will be a hot commodity! I hate to read this kind of stuff, but ignoring it is hard to do.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Let's just enjoy the season, we've got 6 more games to go.

Comment

Michigan State had pretty good success with Dantanio. They'll probably be looking. I'd hate for it to happen, but losing a winning coach is the norm for us. Is Kerry experienced enough yet? JK

Comment

No way, Msu is in way to deep of financial straights with the half a billion dollar gymnastics settlement to buy coaches out. If we do not finish strong and likely get at least a win against Usf or Ucf, i don't know that the resume is that strong win wise to garner big job interest. There's a heck of a lot of football to still be played.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
          Michigan State had pretty good success with Dantanio. They'll probably be looking. I'd hate for it to happen, but losing a winning coach is the norm for us. Is Kerry experienced enough yet? JK
          I haven't talked to Kerry is 6-7 years, but if you want a dynamic coach to come and stay, he is the one. Miami probably will be looking too, so UC might want to crab him quickly.

B.C.
          "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Dantonio only had 1 signature win & that was against an overrated Rutgers team. So if we have any success the rest of the year, Fickel will get offers.
            I'd rather have Minter back than K Combs!

Comment

I don't want people without head coaching experience. I don't mind coaches coming from a smaller school but I don't think the "assistant to head" is going to be a path that is going to work at UC. I am ok with being a stepping stone. UC doesn't have the cache for a "Destination" and I am ok with it. I don't want another CTTurd again.

Fickel still gets a bye from me this year too (from the CBJ and CTTurd debacles left a lot of issues behind). The meat of our schedule is yet to come. I am happy with our start and we have done what we should have done. I am not going to worry about who is going where until we go 9 and 3 or better and are ranked in the top 15.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                Dantonio only had 1 signature win & that was against an overrated Rutgers team. So if we have any success the rest of the year, Fickel will get offers.
                I'd rather have Minter back than K Combs!
                M

Dantonio's situation with Msu was more involved than what he did here. He was part of the Nick Saban coaching staff at Msu as an assistant in the mid to late 90's, and he spent a fair amount of time there. HIs connections were fairly deep. That's what got him the job there. He wasn't the hot gun.

Comment

I think Fick is very rooted in Ohio. I think he likes it here and enjoys what he's building. His dream job is o$u, which is possibly the only job he would prefer, but I don't think it would ever be offered. I think he stays regardless of his record, and is content for family reasons being the second best program in the state which is also capable of annual top 20 status. Its not like we got him on the cheap either.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                    I think Fick is very rooted in Ohio. I think he likes it here and enjoys what he's building. His dream job is o$u, which is possibly the only job he would prefer, but I don't think it would ever be offered. I think he stays regardless of his record, and is content for family reasons being the second best program in the state which is also capable of annual top 20 status. Its not like we got him on the cheap either.
                    I'm hoping this ^^^ is true. But I stopped believing the typical "coach speak" a long time ago when it comes to them looking at other jobs. They're ALWAYS going to say things like "my family loves it here" or "I'm happy here".......that may well be true, but it's also true that lower level Big Ten schools here in the Midwest like Purdue (Brohm $3.8mill), Northwestern (Fitzgerald $3.3mill), and Minnesota (Fleck $3.5mill) are paying their head football coaches almost double what we're paying Fickell. That's a lifetime of financial security you're walking away from if it's offered and you turn it down.

Comment

2 of the 3 jobs you're illustrating are clearly schools in Purdue(biggest offender) and Minnesota who have to overpay to get someone. They owe those guys to much money to be changing anytime soon. Rutgers basically has another former Osu guy already, and honestly no one short of an east coast guy would touch that job.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                        2 of the 3 jobs you're illustrating are clearly schools in Purdue(biggest offender) and Minnesota who have to overpay to get someone. They owe those guys to much money to be changing anytime soon. Rutgers basically has another former Osu guy already, and honestly no one short of an east coast guy would touch that job.

Yep very true, those guys aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I forgot to mention Lovie Smith at Illinois who's also getting $21 million for 6 years ($3.5 Mill per year).
                        My only point is if CLF does well here and one of those lower end Big Ten jobs comes open, he's probably going to get offered a ton of money to leave.........that's awfully hard to turn down no matter how much "my family loves it here".

Comment

Which likely means with a very young team who has a chance to win games he will likely get a raise and wait until the right situation comes along. I don't see him chasing money.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Yep very true, those guys aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I forgot to mention Lovie Smith at Illinois who's also getting $21 million for 6 years ($3.5 Mill per year).
                            My only point is if CLF does well here and one of those lower end Big Ten jobs comes open, he's probably going to get offered a ton of money to leave.........that's awfully hard to turn down no matter how much "my family loves it here".
                            I never understand this logic, particularly going to a B1G school, which is tO$U and 15 teams fighting for 2nd place. You can likely be more successful at UC, even outside the Power 5 conferences, if you just win consistently. There is no shame in being the 2nd best program in the State of Ohio when the best program is tO$U. I mean they practically get a pass into the playoffs each year due to the weakness of the B1G. I don’t mean to downgrade what they have accomplished under Urban Meyer, which is impressive. But why would you go to any other school in that conference when you can potentially be the top program in your own conference outside the P5? UC can never compete with tO$U on a national level but it sure can be 2nd in line, which doesn’t look too bad right now.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I never understand this logic, particularly going to a B1G school, which is tO$U and 15 teams fighting for 2nd place.
                              Fortunes change in the Big Ten, just like every other conference. 2nd place in the B1G is big time football. IMO, Paul Chryst does more than any other coach with what he's got. Go Badgers! (Carin's alma mater)

I think it would be very hard for any coach to turn down millions for the prestige of winning the AAC, particularly since that's going to be hard to do competing against the Florida schools.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X