NCAA changes red shirt rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA changes red shirt rule

In addition to the National Transfer Database for all sports, the NCAA has opted to allow Football players up to 4 games in a season without losing a season of eligibility. So in the case where someone gets injured early in the year they can redshirt and not lose that year. They still have 5 years to play 4 seasons.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...-opportunities
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

An unintended consequence has popped-up with the new redshirt rule - upper-classmen who are dissatisfied with their situation deciding to redshirt and transfer even though they've been playing regularly. The most notable so far is OK State WR Jalen McCleskey. He was a starter, had 15 receptions for 155 yards and two touchdowns this year, but didn't think he was getting the ball enough so he's going to redshirt and transfer. I've also seen several QBs announce transfers after being demoted.

I'm not unhappy with the rule, but this situation calls for watching as we close in on the four game limit for players. It does seem like some teams are going to be caught a little roster-short.

Comment

There's a WR and others at Auburn that started that trend. They're going to have to close this loophole I think.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/au...arkansas-game/
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It needs to be only for the true freshman year, except in the case of serious injury.

Comment

Kelly Bryant, Clemson, perfect example of how this has backfired with this loophole.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            It needs to be only for the true freshman year, except in the case of serious injury.
            Originally posted by RedDog View Post
            Kelly Bryant, Clemson, perfect example of how this has backfired with this loophole.
            This could be tricky. I thought it was usually a coaching decision to redshirt a player, not the player's decision. Although, coaches will oblige a disgruntled player to save face on the recruiting trail. I'd like to see a combination of playing time under some level and starters can't redshirt unless injured (medical redshirt automatic if haven't already redhirted, and review board for second medical redshirt within first 2-3 games). Demoted starters are valuable to a program after the 4th game. Whether injury or showing improvement in practice, you need those guys (gals for non-football) to show the younger kids how to get better with hard work, even if a natural talent exists.

Hopefully someone way smarter than me (i.e. a lot of people) can close this loophole. The graduate transfer free agent is already bad for the college game, in my opinion. We do not need to see that kind of activity below the professional levels. You want PT, then earn it or lose a year to transfer. I do like the rule for evaluating borderline younger players as fifth year seniors are great for the team.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

While coaches usually determine red shirt status for players (just by not playing kids), the NCAA officially considers this as being up to the players. In most such cases, de facto trumps de jure.

Comment

My understanding is with the new NCAA rules on transfers it put the decision in the hands of the kid on whether he wants to transfer. There's no permission to transfer needed from the school and no restrictions on where the player can go anymore. I really don't think they thought this through enough becuase you essentially have placed the mentality of "if you don't play me, I'm out of here." in the player's head. I also don't think the NCAA placed a limit on how many of these transfers you can do provided you still get 5 years to play 4. There's nothing from stopping players from bouncing all over the place if their grades are in order. It's free agency.

I feel for the coaches on this rule. How are you supposed to recruit freshmen if they all leave on transfer because you want to redshirt them?

We're past the window to trasnfer at point but I'm really surprised that Jalen Hurts at Alabama didn't leave under this rule. Heck I'm surprised Hayden Moore hasn't left.
                Last edited by Lobot; 09-28-2018, 06:29 PM.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  We're past the window to transfer at point but I'm really surprised that Jalen Hurts at Alabama didn't under this rule. Heck I'm surprised Hayden Moore hasn't left.
                  If I understand you correctly, I would say we're not past the window. The window is 4 games played by the individual player, not 4 games for the team. All of the players that played for the first time vs. Alabama A&M (and not since) still have 3 games to be able to play this year, including a possible bowl, and still redshirt.

Hayden isn't affected by this because he redshirted in 2014, and played in 2015, '16 and '17. 2018 is his 5th year, so his eligibility runs out this season no matter what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post

If I understand you correctly, I would say we're not past the window. The window is 4 games played by the individual player, not 4 games for the team. All of the players that played for the first time vs. Alabama A&M (and not since) still have 3 games to be able to play this year, including a possible bowl, and still redshirt
                    I honestly am not intrepreting the rule that way but that's a really interesting way to look at it.

I'm looking for clarification but here's the NCAA transfer rules in the mean time :

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes...transfer-terms
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X