Horrible Officiating & Horrible Play = Disaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Officiating & Horrible Play = Disaster

1. Absolutely horrible officiating. Was that a C-USA crew? Cost UC at least 14 points.
    2. Terrible play by special teams. Our PK is scary, have never seen him shoot one threw the uprights that was perfect. Missed a 26 yarder. Where is Gantz?
    3. Turnovers on kickoff and punts...... what can I say?
    4. Moore did not impress. Average QB at best, w/ below average receivers.
    5. Honestly folks, the 2nd worst home game loss in my 40 years of watching UC FB. Worst was 49-0 blowout against N. Illinois in 1989
    6. Finally, let's admit it, Marshall was not that good, and we are going to be lucky to go 4-8 this year. UConn and ECU maybe? UCF beat Memphis 30-7 tonight.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Up late trying to understand what I saw tonight. I knew based on the history of the Tuberville years that this year was probably the year that the team would hit rock bottom. I was hoping that the new coach and coaching staff would at least soften the blow of that but so far, try as they might there is just not that much to work with.
    1. There is a serious lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, in nearly every case as big time talents like Chris Moore and Mckale Mckay left the program, those replacing them were a big step back. The talent just isn't there.
    2. QB play. Yes we saw Hayden Moore have pretty good success early in his career when he had all those senior receivers and a much better O-Line than we have today, but the fact is he just isn't a top level QB. He stares down receivers, is not real accurate, and just doesn't seem to grasp the new offensive system. He never looks confident or self assured, every play looks like desperation. He may actually be the best we have, but the staff needs to see what Ross Trail can do.
    3. The struggles of the O-Line are obvious. We can't run the ball unless late in the game when we are hopelessly behind and the defense is playing prevent because they know we have to pass. Tonight we saw them break off some decent runs in exactly that situation. The pass blocking is as bad or worse.
    4. The defense is much more athletic and much faster than at any time during the Tuberville era, but they struggle with play recognition as badly as any UC team I've seen. There is absolutely no reason to bite on play action on 3rd and long but they do it over and over, leaving tight ends alone in the middle with wide outs running past our safeties for easy yards. We saw these things tonight and they have happened over and over. We also saw dreadful play recognition last week against Navy, how we kept falling for the same fakes over and over, and put ourselves in positions that they could beat us with the same blocks over and over, is just hard to digest. They played poorly against the options and QB runs that Austin Peay ran. The football IQ of this defense is poor, though the athleticism is pretty good, throw in a new staff and new defense and you see what we have experienced this year. I think some of this can be fixed by coaching and repetition but it's probably too late to save this year.
    5. HORRIBLE special teams, the less said the better.
    6. So to sum up. They played poorly against Austin Peay, seemingly better against Michigan, got lucky against Miami, and then blown up by Marshall. Guys, the talent is just not there, so I'm not willing to abandon the new coach and staff, but I expected better.
    7. UCF was 0-12 not long ago, tonight they blew out Memphis. That can happen.

Last edited by longtimefan; 10-01-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
      Up late trying to understand what I saw tonight. I knew based on the history of the Tuberville years that this year was probably the year that the team would hit rock bottom. I was hoping that the new coach and coaching staff would at least soften the blow of that but so far, try as they might there is just not that much to work with.
      1. There is a serious lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, in nearly every case as big time talents like Chris Moore and Mckale Mckay left the program, those replacing them were a big step back. The talent just isn't there.
      2. QB play. Yes we saw Hayden Moore have pretty good success early in his career when he had all those senior receivers and a much better O-Line than we have today, but the fact is he just isn't a top level QB. He stares down receivers, is not real accurate, and just doesn't seem to grasp the new offensive system. He never looks confident or self assured, every play looks like desperation. He may actually be the best we have, but the staff needs to see what Ross Trail can do.
      3. The struggles of the O-Line are obvious. We can't run the ball unless late in the game when we are hopelessly behind and the defense is playing prevent because they know we have to pass. Tonight we saw them break off some decent runs in exactly that situation. The pass blocking is as bad or worse.
      4. The defense is much more athletic and much faster than at any time during the Tuberville era, but they struggle with play recognition as badly as any UC team I've seen. There is absolutely no reason to bite on play action on 3rd and long but they do it over and over, leaving tight ends alone in the middle with wide outs running past our safeties for easy yards. We saw these things tonight and they have happened over and over. We also saw dreadful play recognition last week against Navy, how we kept falling for the same fakes over and over, and put ourselves in positions that they could beat us with the same blocks over and over, is just hard to digest. They played poorly against the options and QB runs that Austin Peay ran. The football IQ of this defense is poor, though the athleticism is pretty good, throw in a new staff and new defense and you see what we have experienced this year. I think some of this can be fixed by coaching and repetition but it's probably too late to save this year.
      5. HORRIBLE special teams, the less said the better.
      6. So to sum up. They played poorly against Austin Peay, seemingly better against Michigan, got lucky against Miami, and then blown up by Marshall. Guys, the talent is just not there, so I'm not willing to abandon the new coach and staff, but I expected better.
      7. UCF was 0-12 not long ago, tonight they blew out Memphis. That can happen.
      What he said - we got up to leave when they turned the ball over at their 15 on the punt "fumble" and the score 31-7. Guy behind us said game isn't over- my 22 year old grandson asked him what game was he watching, went to 38-7 by the time we climbed the dozen or so steps to the top. Can't remember anything more embarrassing when we entered a football game as the favorite - they were dreadful. Yes, they got some terrible calls; the 2 interference calls would rank amongst the worst I've seen - where did they find that official - at a junior high game? That said this team really can't play very well - hard to tell which is worse the ol or the satetys, receivers are mediocre, as is the qb. Tough to watch - have season tix so will be there next week, hope I am very wrong but hard to see a win.

Comment

Living out of town makes it difficult to catch the games. I bumped into a friend from Cincinnati with season tickets on Wednesday in Toledo. He said that he has gone through the roster and told me that he does not believe that most of our players are not good enough for D-1. I thought Tubberville was supposed to be a great recruiter. Where CTT did not believe in playing true freshmen, I suspect the next year or two, our team gets much younger on the field. I am not willing to abandon the coaching staff. I am willing to continue to follow from afar. I hope that those who are in Cincinnati continue to show up to games.

Comment

Was at the game and could spend hours talking about the poor officiating ...... I'll say the Pass Interference Calls on several 3rd downs (UC) along with various (Marshall) Holding Penalties by their Offensive Line that were NOT called , was ridiculous...... Worst Officiating I've witnessed in years!

Comment

Our group doesn't miss any home games, we stay until the end of the game no matter what, we are not giving up on the staff after 5 games. But Saturday night was as painful a game as I've witnessed in a long time.

I know a lot of folks thought or felt CTT raised the white flag in some games when the inevitable was in sight, but I longed for a little of that philosophy Saturday night as we passed and passed to the end. Fight to the finish? I thought we were non-competitive as early as the first quarter.

Oh well, on to the UCF game; Go Cats!

Comment

Officials: Referee: Rodney Burnette; Umpire: Sheldon Davis; Linesman: Gerry Austin; Line judge: Josh Fath; Back judge: Ivan Daniels; Field judge: Brandon Spencer; Side judge: Scott Gasaway; Center judge: Brett Toney;

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X