Club teams article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club teams article

So this is really interesting from the Athletic. I would expect the NCAA to close this loophole very quickly now that UC and Rutgers have been outed here.

https://theathletic.com/804186/2019/...nnati-rutgers/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Interesting. What the article did not say was whether UC’s club will continue this season. Rutgers has scrapped its plans according to the article.

Comment

I love how it's Edsall and UConn whining about something not being fair again. Broken record.

Comment

I doubt we will continue it because I think the NCAA will close the loophole and make it irrelevant
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I'm going to be outraged about this - as soon as I know what you're talking about.
          Yours truly, a non-The Athletic subscriber

Comment

Ha! Short version. There's a loophole in the NCAA guildelines that allows coaches to to run 7 on 7 club teams over the off season provided that no campus facilities are used and no money is spent by the university. So in a nutshell , We and Rutgers have been running a summer club team for local recruits. More teams are looking at this as a recruiting tool after finding out it was legal. This is totally above board currently so there's no NCAA violations here. Randy Edsall at UConn complained about Rutgers camp not being fair and basically is going to ruin this for eveyerone because he wasn't smart enough to find the loophole himself. He wants the loophole closed and it probably will be.
            Last edited by Lobot; 02-08-2019, 09:57 AM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I call BS on this.
              What would the poor G5 schools do without those champions of fairness and justice (i.e. NCAA). Yes sir...... lets shutdown those club teams because they tend to help G5 football schools which are located predominately in the cities which tend to be surrounded by lots of high school talent (Cincy, Temple, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, etc)
              If you're located in the middle of a corn field (like most Paid 5 schools) you don't need local access to recruit. SMH.
              Last edited by blackattack; 02-08-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I call BS on Edsall. Guy can't recruit his way out of a paper bag. He got lucky one year with Orlvosky and hasn't done anything since so he has to cry foul at things that are within compliance framework

I give credit to Fickell and the Athletic Dept. crew for discovering this opening and using it to our advantage. Even if the NCAA closes it up there was nothing wrong with what he was doing. I find it interesting that Rutgers was the other school doing it becuase Chris Ash and Fickell were on the same staff at OSU so you'd have to think they talked about this at some point. Seems unlikely both of them found this loophole independently.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Thanks for the summary. The longer HC Fickell is here the more I appreciate how smart he is, with great foresight. The whole Navy game plan/preparedness with the special scout team was fascinating to me.

Comment

Andddddd it’s gone. The NCAA has closed the loophole so no more club teams
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X