Please stop closing threads...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please stop closing threads...

I love the site. Its the best source of info out there. The one thing that has to change, is the constant complaining from the mods about duplicate threads, or topics already touched, or threads switching gears during the posts...followed by closing the thread.

Personally i do not have enough time to go through all the threads to see if a topic has already been started. I dont start alot of threads, but im guessing no one else has the time for that either. I find myself getting interested in threads to see the mods decide they dont like them, and halt the progress. Or worse, i see a great topic, try to access it, and "you have reached an invalid thread." message.

I can read things twice sometimes, it doesnt hurt. We also have no need for the mods to JOIN threads. No need. Mods are acting as if part of their job to join threads. None of us are asking for that. If we had 25 threads on the Brian Kelly Career Path, no problem. I'm thinking, and tell me if my thinking is wrong, that the mods are here to administer to the customer (me and other posters). Not vice versa. How many businesses do you go to where the employee decides that the customer doesnt want, what the customer asks for?

Customer: "Hi I would like a cheeseburger"
    Mod: "No, you really dont. And i dont like that you want a cheeseburger"

Please let the forum be a place for conversation. My friends and i often bring up the same topics several times a night...even repeating things we have already said. Hate to get dramatic, but part of the reason this country is so great, is that we can have conversations, and debates without limitations. I think if you asked most people, we dont really need 3 out of every 10 threads closed. I dont think ive seen anyone else complain about duplicate threads except the mods. If its a physical space option, please tell me and ill buy more space, so we can have unlimited threads. Also, I think the top 5 newest threads on the right side of the screen should be modified, to be the top 5 most recently modified threads. That way, if a topic is hot, it will remain on the quick thread section on the right of the screen. People will notice the thread, and comment there. That would probably have a similar effect to what the mods are trying to accomplish, make accessing hot threads easier, and reduce the number of threads that i have to get invalid links on/closed threads which i cant reply to. Most of the time, hot topics dissappear off the radar because they disappear from the quick thread section at the right of the screen.

If anyone has any response to my request, please give me your thoughts. I would like to know if i am in the minority here or not. Im not trying to stir a pot, i just find the current situation, less than enjoyable.

With 5 topics about essentially the same thing it clutters the forum and new topics of discussion can easily get lost.

Plus you call yourself a consumer yet you do not pay anything? The site is free, enjoy it for what it is and if you do not like it nobody is forcing you to log in.
    When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfan1980 View Post
      I love the site. Its the best source of info out there. The one thing that has to change, is the constant complaining from the mods about duplicate threads, or topics already touched, or threads switching gears during the posts...followed by closing the thread.

Personally i do not have enough time to go through all the threads to see if a topic has already been started. I dont start alot of threads, but im guessing no one else has the time for that either. I find myself getting interested in threads to see the mods decide they dont like them, and halt the progress. Or worse, i see a great topic, try to access it, and "you have reached an invalid thread." message.

I can read things twice sometimes, it doesnt hurt. We also have no need for the mods to JOIN threads. No need. Mods are acting as if part of their job to join threads. None of us are asking for that. If we had 25 threads on the Brian Kelly Career Path, no problem. I'm thinking, and tell me if my thinking is wrong, that the mods are here to administer to the customer (me and other posters). Not vice versa. How many businesses do you go to where the employee decides that the customer doesnt want, what the customer asks for?

Customer: "Hi I would like a cheeseburger"
      Mod: "No, you really dont. And i dont like that you want a cheeseburger"

Please let the forum be a place for conversation. My friends and i often bring up the same topics several times a night...even repeating things we have already said. Hate to get dramatic, but part of the reason this country is so great, is that we can have conversations, and debates without limitations. I think if you asked most people, we dont really need 3 out of every 10 threads closed. I dont think ive seen anyone else complain about duplicate threads except the mods. If its a physical space option, please tell me and ill buy more space, so we can have unlimited threads. Also, I think the top 5 newest threads on the right side of the screen should be modified, to be the top 5 most recently modified threads. That way, if a topic is hot, it will remain on the quick thread section on the right of the screen. People will notice the thread, and comment there. That would probably have a similar effect to what the mods are trying to accomplish, make accessing hot threads easier, and reduce the number of threads that i have to get invalid links on/closed threads which i cant reply to. Most of the time, hot topics dissappear off the radar because they disappear from the quick thread section at the right of the screen.

If anyone has any response to my request, please give me your thoughts. I would like to know if i am in the minority here or not. Im not trying to stir a pot, i just find the current situation, less than enjoyable.
      Uh oh, you have probably angered the Gods. Don't stand too close to me or a tree. I've already been hit by lightning in the last month.

I agree to an extent. I think that certain threads should be labeled sticky so they stay on top for necessary duration although I think everyone would say their thread should be a sticky and that is where the Gods would come in to play.
      RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
      CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

I am a customer, as without any of the users...this site wouldnt exist. I think to an extent merging threads is fine, or closing and deleting abusive threads go for it, but it is happening to much.

Can the mods put out a poll to see if them closing and deleting threads is preferred? If it is truly in the interest of the members of this board, then im sure the mods would want to know how the members feel...right?

Comment

I still say the customers should stop paying! That will show them!

Comment

Deleting repeat threads is SOP on just about every board I am on from sports, to cars, to house remodeling. If you can’t take the minute to check if your topic has been addressed why do I have see multiple copies because someone you are in "a hurry"?

By deleting/merging threads you remove the clutter and keep the board cleaner for information retrieval.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfan1980 View Post
              After rereading your post, you really are lost aren't you? Mods on a board unable/not allowed to participate? Are you KIDDING? Are they not UC fans as well? What makes your threads more important that a mod is not allowed to comment or particpate in it? Seems like a very self centered, me first mentality.

If a mod is posting relevant information; usually means he is participating and very aware of what is going on on the forum. That typically shows a well run forum.

Comment

What do you think that this website is? Do you think it generates income and the the moderators share in that? If so you are sorely mistaken. This website started as an email thread where each person got an email anytime someone wanted to say anything. The more people that came the more impossible that got due to the amount of emails that people were getting.

You make a few good points.....about the front page of the website maybe showing the most recent modified threads, but I know nothing about the website or how that works. We are just able to help clean up the site.

The key to much of the merging and deleting of threads is to keep the widest range of topics on the front page. When you allow one subject to dictate the first page then other topics become extinct. People will often go to the first page, but that is it.

Personally i do not have enough time to go through all the threads to see if a topic has already been started.

That is why we merge the common topic ones. If we have 20 different on threads all with a similar link about Brian Kelly on the front page when other threads are pushed to the 2nd and 3rd page. If we have a lot of the same thread on the hot topic of the day then the secondary topic gets lost. If we merge them then the 2 or 3 topics on that subject stay on the top, but also allow secondary threads to exist.

Mods are acting as if part of their job to join threads.
                One it is not a job. We help out for free because we enjoy the site and want to keep it readable.

How many businesses do you go to where the employee decides that the customer doesnt want, what the customer asks for?
                This is a free public forum that the people who run it....not the mods by the way.....decide what they want to see. If you want to use it great and if not then that is OK as well. This is not a site that is going to go away because there are plenty of people who will continue to use it. Each site offers different advantages.....if this one is not to your liking then you can look at other ones and make a decision to use them. This website has a lot of unique users and I would guess more conversation and traffic than any of the other ones.

Most of the time, hot topics dissappear off the radar because they disappear from the quick thread section at the right of the screen.
                If they are hot threads then they don't disapear off the radar because they are hot threads.
                College of Business Administration 2000

Comment

Avoiding duplicate threads is fine with me.

But just a question, then: where is the thread which we can discuss the most recent game?

Is it just me or have ALL of those threads been closed?

Comment

I think ShaunSimpson is a great moderator and is willing to explain his decisions. I wish others would do the same.

I know BCN has a "our ball, our rules if you dont like it go somewhere else" policy but I wish we would get more feedback.

I try to make fun a little bit but what is with the constant busy messages?

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
                      I think ShaunSimpson is a great moderator and is willing to explain his decisions. I wish others would do the same.

I know BCN has a "our ball, our rules if you dont like it go somewhere else" policy but I wish we would get more feedback.

I try to make fun a little bit but what is with the constant busy messages?
                      I'm more than happy explain my decisions, If you'll take the time to ask me. I'm always available via PM for feedback.

As for the busy messages, Brett, the server admin is looking into it.

One of the things that a lot of people have been asking about in various threads is "why did my thread get deleted?" The answer is your thread title was too vague and no one can tell what the thread is about. For Example " Lance Stephenson" is a bad title. The first thing people do is ask Lance Stephenson what? when they look at that. Leading thread titles like " The Bearcats will...." Will what? That's too vague. Be specific with your thread titles so people can tell what's going on.

Also we're getting to zero tolerance level with people attacking one another in the BB forum and also with off topic posts. Those posts will be deleted and people banned where appropriate(not for off topic posts).

I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh. We're simply trying to make the board more readable. If you have questions, please ask!
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X