Anonymity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymity

One worry with a forum is its potential anonymity. When we are on an e-mail list, our e-mail address is exposed. This is really a false sense, since nowadays there are many options for free/anonymous e-mail. But imho, anonymity can be part of the problem in forum flames.

Looks like KBM (my new abbreviation for Keith/Brett/Mike) are looking to control that with the early moderation and all, but I think we should encourage folks to tell us who they are.

This can be easily accomplished with the Sig feature (someone can help Richard ). Folks can put their name and association to the University (you know, like UC fan since 1958). Just an idea. I don't think making this a "rule" would help, since it would be simple for folks to just create a false persona.

Thoughts?
    Bryan Sherman
    BA Econ 1988
    MBA 1995

My personal opinion about this is, if you are willing to write and post it, you should be willing to put your name to it. This may be enforceable with vBulletin but I am not positive about this.
    Keith Wedinger
    Bearcatnews.com Administrator
    Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

KBM can look at IP addresses of posts now and tell when Al/Jim/Pete all are the same person. And then ban them all.

So while there is a bit of secrecy, this format should allow more flexability to KBM in monitoring.

I like the idea of the frist 3 posts must be approved by a moderator. Although I might recommend you only activate that a few days after the changeover. Otherwise KBM will have 150 posts to approve the first week.

Comment

When we first spoke about not knowing who everyone is I didn't think it was a big deal. I guess we will have to get used to who everyone is compared to their email addresses and new user names.
        College of Business Administration 2000

Comment

We are not going to enforce this but I think all subscribers to this board should put their real name in their signature. If you are willing to write it and post it, you should be willing to put your real name behind it. That is why I put my name on every post. I will not hide behind my ID.
          Keith Wedinger
          Bearcatnews.com Administrator
          Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

I personally would want to enforce it, but then you get into all kinds of other issues like privacy, etc. Each Forum member signed up with an email address and the administrators have these in the original emails. We know who you are.

We don't want this board to "get out of hand" (define that how you like) similar to other boards - and I'm speaking of all boards, not just Bearcats or sports related boards.

The rules we had on the email Forum have effectively been moved to this Forum in concept. We will just have to process the rules a bit differently here.

I think the "Where Are They Now" sub-Forum is a great example of what the 'General' Email Forum was supposed to be, but never was.
            Mike In Clifton

No sarcasm on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
              We are not going to enforce this but I think all subscribers to this board should put their real name in their signature. If you are willing to write it and post it, you should be willing to put your real name behind it. That is why I put my name on every post. I will not hide behind my ID.
              It's not so much hiding from forum members, it's more of an overall internet thing... I don't need some opposing fan lookin gup my name etc.

My not putting my name on things is in no way to hide from forum members... just all the other crazies on the internet... frankly I recommend NONE of you put your real names here... it's not worth it.

If anyone really wants to know what my name is (Which many of you already do) PM me, I'll decide if you're a "regular" and trustworthy or not. But putting your real name and real info about you on a sports messageboard is not very wise.
              [B]"Is she gone yet?? [B]

Comment

Originally posted by Catmandu View Post
                It's not so much hiding from forum members, it's more of an overall internet thing... I don't need some opposing fan lookin gup my name etc.

My not putting my name on things is in no way to hide from forum members... just all the other crazies on the internet... frankly I recommend NONE of you put your real names here... it's not worth it.

If anyone really wants to know what my name is (Which many of you already do) PM me, I'll decide if you're a "regular" and trustworthy or not. But putting your real name and real info about you on a sports messageboard is not very wise.
                That is kind of my point. I want folks names so they can own what they say. If you are saying things that you don't want others to know you are saying, then I question whether you should post the message at all. That being said, Catmandu does have a profile with a link to his info. This serves the same purpose without being Google-able.
                Bryan Sherman
                BA Econ 1988
                MBA 1995

Comment

Originally posted by Catmandu View Post
                  lookin gup my name
                  If you think hard enough about the email forum, this just gave him away.

Although, he's semi right if you can't figure out who I am from my sign in name then I feel sorry for you.
                  Josh Rexhausen
                  CE'99

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Rexhausen View Post
                    If you think hard enough about the email forum, this just gave him away.

Although, he's semi right if you can't figure out who I am from my sign in name then I feel sorry for you.
                    The typo King has returned!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X