Membership on BearcatNews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership on BearcatNews

It's probably about time I discussed this for everyone's sake.

Several years ago we banned a large amount of trolls and spammers. They were given reasons as to why they were banned. If you are reading this and you were banned or your IP was blocked in the last two years and have no idea why, you should contact me at Bearcatnews1 at Gmail dot com. This was an error as a result of technical issues with the site. There were some really good posters that probably got dumped as a result of me making a mistake. Some of you have moved on to other sites which is unfortunate and I totally get that all things considered.

Also, If you have tried to register and have not been approved, you should contact me at the above email address. This site has been around long enough that it gets absolutely inundated with new user registrations and as a result, we cannot sort through them all and weed out legit requests for new members. We have not approved any new members for quite some time except by specific request. We will approve new members on a case by case basis only.

This site has been in operation as an email listserv and became a website message board in 2007. The site has gone from hundreds of emails daily to popular message board and high traffic to what it is now. I think I can speak for the admins when I say popular and high volume is not always better. I personally would prefer quality over quantity of members. I hope we are delivering that to the best of our ability.

This is a free message board. We do the best we can with the resources we have. This is also a privately owned message board. I personally have been overzealous at times in the past at moderating this board. I've learned a few things over the years. Dissenting options are fine. Trolls and jerks are not. If you think you can positively impact the board, please ask for membership. We would be happy to have your input.

Go Bearcats!

Brent
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Follow up. If you have tried to register using a internet based email provider and have been unsuccessful, give it another shot. We unblocked a couple of providers today.

We felt comfortable doing so because the account creation and security procedures at these providers are currently as good as it gets.

I personally recommend the following regarding security. Use two factor authentication on your web email accounts and any other account where it is available. Don't share the username/password between your email account and this site or any other site. This is just good security practice in general on everyone's part.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I just looked at the member list and saw that there are over 8000 with 0 posts, and most look like they have never been to the site since they were created. Is there a way to have them automatically deleted if they never post and have been inactive for a year?
      Josh Rexhausen
      CE'99

Comment

I can ask the admins to sweep them out. The vast majority of those accounts are bots and now you know why we haven't approved many new members in a while. It's impossible to sort through them all to find real people.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

You need one of those picture selection security things where new members select faces of former bearcats.
          Josh Rexhausen
          CE'99

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X