X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...g-16330080.php

Behind a paywall but generating a lot of buzz

The death of the BigXII as a power conference . . . . .

Comment

If they go, what do the other power conferences do? This could really set off the dominoes. I think you're either going to a 64 team P4 with a raid on the Big 12 by the Pac 12, Big 10 and maybe the ACC. I think a likely outcome is that the AAC or Big 12 ceases to exist.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I just read about this on Barstool. They go over some of the article: https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...o-join-the-sec

It sounds like there could be news within a couple of weeks according to the Houston Chronicle, which almost sounds to be like this is likely to happen. If it does, I'll be interested to see the domino affect and how the other P5's respond. Do they start gobbling up Big12 teams to form their own 16 team conferences? Does the Big 12 go after schools like us, or Houston, or Boise, etc.? Would we get targeted by the ACC?

If this happens now, I'm not sure there could be a better time for us. I can't see a game of musical chair taking place and us left standing like last time. We have to high of profile football team, and I would hope our athletic department learned their lesson from last time, and to be more proactive than reactive.

Comment

Now we have a statement from OK St.

https://twitter.com/ralphdrussoap/st...844432900?s=21
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I have a question. Does anyone know if the SEC right of refusal rule still exists? Way back when we did this last time, SEC schools had veto power over the admission of an additional school in their home state. If that still exists, Texas A&M could really screw over Texas here.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Kirk Bohls in Austin has already determined that Missouri and A&M are a hard no on admitting Texas. Apparently according to Bohls, they need two more No's to screw over Texas.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Please don't let us move to the big12... We already beat that horse dead... It would be big east 2.0 and leave us left for dead again next round. I'd rather stay AAC then try to revive a big12 without Oklahoma/Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                  Please don't let us move to the big12... We already beat that horse dead... It would be big east 2.0 and leave us left for dead again next round. I'd rather stay AAC then try to revive a big12 without Oklahoma/Texas
                  Big-12 w/o Texas and OK\U would still be a formidable football and a killer basketball conference. I don't think they'd lose Power 5 spot, and AAC is not going to replace them regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    If they go, what do the other power conferences do? This could really set off the dominoes. I think you're either going to a 64 team P4 with a raid on the Big 12 by the Pac 12, Big 10 and maybe the ACC. I think a likely outcome is that the AAC or Big 12 ceases to exist.
                    I think it is more likely the Big 12 ceases to exist. I could see the remaining P5 conferences finding the leftover teams in the Big12 more attractive than the teams in in AAC. Then the Big 10 and Pac12 would peck on the remaining teams like vultures on a carcass. I don't like it but that is what I see. Maybe Okla ST and West Virginia to the Big10? Maybe Kansas, Kansas ST and TCU or Baylor to the Pac12?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                      I think we would have to take that chance if the remaining Big 12 comes calling for us.

Comment

Here's a good piece (with a facetious touch) on the OK/TX to SEC rumors from Stuart Mandel @ theathletic.com ($):

https://theathletic.com/2721417/2021/07/21/texas-oklahoma-jumping-to-the-sec-this-college-football-realignment-faq-will-guide-you-through-the-pending-chaos/?redirected=1

Comment

It's gonna happen. Big 12 schools will scatter like dust in the wind.

Texas - SEC
                          OU - SEC
                          Kansas - Big Ten
                          Kansas State - Mayyyyyybe Big Ten based on politics to get Kansas. Otherwise AAC.
                          Oklahoma State - Pac 12
                          Iowa State - AAC
                          Baylor - AAC
                          TCU - AAC
                          Texas Tech - Pac 12
                          West Virginia - ACC

Mayyyyyyyyybe UC gets an invite to ACC. But I sort of doubt it and think we'll end up in an AAC with a bunch of ex Big 12 programs like above.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                            It's gonna happen. Big 12 schools will scatter like dust in the wind.

Texas - SEC
                            OU - SEC
                            Kansas - Big Ten
                            Kansas State - Mayyyyyybe Big Ten based on politics to get Kansas. Otherwise AAC.
                            Oklahoma State - Pac 12
                            Iowa State - AAC
                            Baylor - AAC
                            TCU - AAC
                            Texas Tech - Pac 12
                            West Virginia - ACC

Mayyyyyyyyybe UC gets an invite to ACC. But I sort of doubt it and think we'll end up in an AAC with a bunch of ex Big 12 programs like above.
                            We need to throw some teams out then. Like East Carolina and Tulane. I don't know about WVU. We could get in the ACC over them. We have a more enticing market.
                            Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 07-22-2021, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

We need to throw some teams out then. Like East Carolina and Tulane. I don't know about WVU. We could get in the ACC over them. We have a more enticing market.
                              WVU is a bigger brand name and streaming draw for the casual fan, which is the name of the game going forward. That's why Nebraska is in the Big Ten, etc.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X