The ACC hires a new commish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ACC hires a new commish

Pete Thamel is reporting the ACC will replace John Swofford ,who's retiring, with Jim Phillips, the current Northwestern AD.

Why should we care? We should care because one of the things on his plate will be renegotaiating the TV deal with ESPN. And we care about that because the deal is lopsided in favor of ESPN. This could mean that in order to grab more money on that contract, the ACC may need to add 2 teams. One of those teams is likely some form of Notre Dame in football. The ND/ NBC contract runs through 2025 but it wouldn't surprise me if ND decided to finally join a conference after that deal is up since they are effectively sharing football revenue with the ACC this season anyway.

That leaves an opening for Team 16 in all sports to balance the divisions and that needs to be UC.

I personally have never met Dr. Pinto and from my perspective it's hard to get a read on him regarding sports in relation to academics but I hope we don't have to poke him with a stick and wake him up.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

The ACC signed a 20 year GoR tv deal in 2016. The other conferences, plus the CFP have deals expiring beginning with Big 12 in 2023 and all of those deals will be extended or renegotiated by 2026. The ACC is already near the bottom in terms of average payout per member and that is expected to get significantly worse by the end of the next round of negotiating. They can add more schools to up the overall contract, but not sure how or how much that adds per school values. Do you have any links to rumors or speculation the ACC will expand and how that helps the ACC?

I personally am rooting for the Pac 12 to attempt righting their ship by adding Texass. The Big 12 will implode and the SEC/Big 10 will pick apart the remaining Big 12 teams, (and hopefully UC gets scooped up by the SEC though I doubt it). Then the ACC might act quick to expand and possibly invite UC, but it would only be a knee jerk reaction and not to renegotiate their tv deal that expires in 2036. I hope you are right because the path to bigger/better bowl games and payouts is easier in the ACC and I don't think there will be a Big 12 any longer.

https://theathletic.com/1870731/2020...12-pac-12-acc/
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I was summarizing Thamel’s Twitter thread. Looks he did put it into an article after I posted.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc...043554647.html
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I don't see how their tv contract being woefully inadequate leads to expansion unless they go higher than 16? The current tv deal allows for increased revenue if they add 1 or 2 teams so that the average annual amount goes up. Could a new member only get partial funding for a period of time? That would only be a short-term boost in income to existing schools if the new schools partial cut is divided amongst the other schools. I still hope you're right because the ACC is the league in which we can compete and win soon in football.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Loserville is in deep again. What if in a weird, ironic, crazy, probably never happen, but I want to be the first one to say it....the ACC boots loserville and we take their place!!! hmmm, hmmm, hmmm....

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X