No announcement yet.

Boise St. wants out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Broncos' other sports are a difficult fit elsewhere. The WCC is a private schools-only organization. The Big West and MVC wouldn't want the economic disadvantage that BSU would present, since all of their football teams are FCS & don't generate much income.

Comment

CBS Sports reported:

The American Athletic Conference has held discussions about adding Boise State as a 12th member for football in an attempt to give the conference a better chance of being considered for the College Football Playoff in the future.

CBS Sports obtained documents highlighting the AAC's consideration of adding Boise State, but the conference would reportedly only be adding the school for football, allowing other Boise State sports programs to remain in the Mountain West, which is easier for the school geographically.

B.C.
      "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Chris, There's already a thread going on this in the Conference Realignment forum.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
          CBS Sports reported:

The American Athletic Conference has held discussions about adding Boise State as a 12th member for football in an attempt to give the conference a better chance of being considered for the College Football Playoff in the future.

CBS Sports obtained documents highlighting the AAC's consideration of adding Boise State, but the conference would reportedly only be adding the school for football, allowing other Boise State sports programs to remain in the Mountain West, which is easier for the school geographically.

B.C.
          Here's Dennis Dodd's piece on this:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...otball-member/

Comment

Best case scenario is that we would get picked up by a Power 5 conference, but a 2nd choice would be adding the strongest of the "other" football programs. I wonder if the Boise State football coach getting picked up by Auburn will slow this down. He was the biggest advocate for the change, and they still have to fill their AD position. I don't see anything happening soon. It sounds like 2023 is the next best option for us.

Comment

Boise State and SDSU are in conversations? https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rt/4155906001/
              https://mwwire.com/2021/01/13/aac-reportedly-speaking-with-san-diego-state-boise-state/

Last edited by bearcatbret; 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I get it but travel costs for the conference are going to be crazy
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think these two teams will make a great addition to our conference. If it happens, I'll be the 1st to book trips to these schools when we play them!

Comment

I used to live in San Diego not far from the stadium. I wouldn’t mind getting back out there for a road trip
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here’s a tepid denial from the SanDiego State AD:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-mountain-west

My guess is that, if BSU can wangle its way into the AAC, the Aztecs would be part of the realignment.

Comment

It won't be BYU. They have so many "special" demands at this point that no conference wants to deal with them
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          It won't be BYU. They have so many "special" demands at this point that no conference wants to deal with them
                          Yeah. BYU looks at themselves like they are an independent to be mentioned in the same breath as Notre Dame but they don't have the accomplishments or history that Notre Dame has.

Comment

I don't understand the fascination with Boise State. Yes they've had some mild success in football but what do they really bring to the table? The population of Greater Boise is around 750,000 compared to 2.1 million for Greater Cincinnati. The whole state of Idaho is only 1.8 million. Enrollment at Boise State is around 22,000 compared to 43,000 at UC. They certainly cannot bring a huge viewership which seems to be the main criteria now for expansion. What benefit is Boise State to the AAC other than a road trip across two time zones to the middle of nowhere?

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
                              I don't understand the fascination with Boise State. Yes they've had some mild success in football but what do they really bring to the table? The population of Greater Boise is around 750,000 compared to 2.1 million for Greater Cincinnati. The whole state of Idaho is only 1.8 million. Enrollment at Boise State is around 22,000 compared to 43,000 at UC. They certainly cannot bring a huge viewership which seems to be the main criteria now for expansion. What benefit is Boise State to the AAC other than a road trip across two time zones to the middle of nowhere?
                              I think we are trying to make our football conference as good as possible in order to accomplish two things: 1. Increase our next TV contract with whomever we go with next time. 2. Maybe even position ourselves as that legitimate "Power 6" conference. Right now we call ourselves that but that doesn't make it so. Maybe if the conference gets so good that it can't be denied then the Power 5 will recognize us as a power conference or at least a conference to be strongly looked at as a playoff possibility.

I agree with these moves including SD State and BYU. It doesn't make sense geographically but it could be a worthwhile roll of the dice.
                              Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 01-17-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Another thing to be looked at is throwing out schools that don't seem to be adding anything in any sport. East Carolina and Tulane would be good candidates for this. East Carolina hasn't been relevant in football in quite a while and have never been in basketball. Tulane hasn't been relevant in either sport in quite a while also.

Unless these schools are good in baseball maybe? But this conference doesn't make its money in baseball anyway.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X