Power 5 Breakaway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power 5 Breakaway?

The ever optimistic Dennis Dodd at CBS seems to think that the Power 5 could breakaway from the G5 permanently based on the realities of sports financing and coronavirus strapped economy.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-from-the-fbs/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

My goodness I hope this never happens. It's bad enough they created this so called "Power 5" and left everyone else behind. Why hasn't someone or some organization sued to have this stopped or declared somehow illegal? If this happens I think it will ruin college sports as we know it today. JMHO!

Comment

My goodness I hope this never happens. It's bad enough they created this so called "Power 5" and left everyone else behind. Why hasn't someone or some organization sued to have this stopped or declared somehow illegal? If this happens I think it will ruin college sports as we know it today. J M H O.

Comment

Hopefully if this happens they will expand beyond the 65. Kind of like the 5 super conferences of 16 each that they floated. We would be in if that happens but if they stay at 65 we would be screwed. It makes me wonder if they would take the big east for basketball only. I hope not because I would be ticked!!

Comment

I think this has been the P5 plan for some time now. C-19 may have accelerated the timeline, but I think it will eventually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
            I think this has been the P5 plan for some time now. C-19 may have accelerated the timeline, but I think it will eventually happen.
            But do you think we will be in with the "Big Boys" when the dust settles?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

But do you think we will be in with the "Big Boys" when the dust settles?
              I really don’t know. If I were to guess, I would say UC will be left out. aO$U will want to have all the power and money in Ohio. It will do anything it can to make that happen. This could mean the death intercollegiate sports as we currently know it. A major league-minor league distinction at the FBS level, for all
              sports.

Comment

Hopefully if this happens they will expand beyond the 65. Kind of like the 5 super conferences of 16 each that they floated. We would be in if that happens but if they stay at 65 we would be screwed. It makes me wonder if they would take the big east for basketball only. I hope not because I would be ticked!!
                One thing I've seen is that it may be about 100 teams with some serious changes in membership which is something that was forecast after the last round of realignment. You may see some P5 conferences drop their dead weight so to speak. The Sun Belt , CUSA and the MAC are probably headed to the FCS level simply becuase they can't keep up financially.

I'd like to think we'd land in the upper tier of all but we're not in as good of financial shape as we think we are. Lots of debt to retire and heavy subsidization. I do think we have the facilities to move to the top rung but that's where all the debt came from.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This probably isn't the way a split would result in realignment, but it's the idea of two SI writers. UC, UH, Memphis & UCF would join an expanded B12 in this scenario.

https://herosports.com/college-footb...-merger-ahah#1

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                    This probably isn't the way a split would result in realignment, but it's the idea of two SI writers. UC, UH, Memphis & UCF would join an expanded B12 in this scenario.

https://herosports.com/college-footb...-merger-ahah#1
                    I would take this! even though I don't think it would happen. I noticed they put Villanova in the American which is odd. What would happen to the rest of the Big East?

Comment

I would take this! even though I don't think it would happen. I noticed they put Villanova in the American which is odd. What would happen to the rest of the Big East?
                      The authors noted in this piece that this is a football-only exercise. They don't address the Big East or any other non-football conference.

Comment

What are the mechanics of breaking away from the NCAA? New member institutions have to apply for membership and get voted upon, but they usually come from lower tiers within the NCAA. How do members leave the NCAA? It would take a large group to leave and join another governing institue.

I read the history of the NCAA on Wikipedia and found it interesting that it had it's roots in the health & safety of student-athletes. In late 1800's and early 1900's there were several severe injuries and deaths, particularly in college football. Also intersting that Penn and Noter Shame were the first schools to have national tv contracts.

On an aside, I'd eliminate the current conferences, though many of the members of the conferences would remain in the same division, such as the SEC division or Big 10 division. Under the guise of streamlined oversight and saving money for each member instituion, my new organization would be focused on making money for all member schools. This would create a level laying field, all member institutions have same rules and stipends.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

On an aside, I'd eliminate the current conferences, though many of the members of the conferences would remain in the same division, such as the SEC division or Big 10 division. Under the guise of streamlined oversight and saving money for each member instituion, my new organization would be focused on making money for all member schools. This would create a level laying field, all member institutions have same rules and stipends.
                          The Alabmas, Clemsons and OSUs would never allow it. They don't want a level playing field. OSU would fight like **** to keep UC out of any inclusion.

Comment

The Alabmas, Clemsons and OSUs would never allow it. They don't want a level playing field. OSU would fight like **** to keep UC out of any inclusion.
                            Level playing field for players and on the field, but not a level reward level. Schools will still be able to pay top money for best coaches and assistants. I wasn't clear, trying to not have long post, but my proposal would be similar to revenue sharing in NFL and MLB. TV rights would be shared equally for regular season, but tiered increases in rewards for post season goes to the individual team. If I were king for a day, my new organization would keep little of the money made of college athletics. The NCAA is supposed to be a non-profit, non-partisan organization and it simply isn't either. By having top tier college football with an expanded playoff, the money generated would be higher than today, added with vast majority of the college basketball tourney money going back to schools instead of the NCAA. The details can be worked out though the general impression would be many of the same rules in place today, a football playoff that utilizes bowl locations, a faster and more uniformly applied investigation/sanction process, and negotiating with media rights to include expanded programming of non-revenue sports. There's lot's of opportunities to milk this cow. OSU wants to own Ohio, but even they can't make money playing scrimmage games against themselves: a state the size of Ohio will get more than one school in no matter what Gene Smith says.
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Could the NFL prevent this from happening. I know they don't control college sports. But if only college players are eligible to be drafted, and the P5 operates as a league outside the purview of the NCAA, could it make players in the P5 ineligible to be drafted? Thus effecting the players that would play in the P5.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X