Boise St.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boise St.

It came out yesterday that Boise St. and the Mountain West are at odds over their new TV contract. To summarize the issue, the MW signed with FOX/CBSSN for their next TV contract. As part of the last round of conference relaignment, Boise St. signed a deal with the MW and ESPN that give them exclusive incentives which included tier rights on ESPN. Needless to say, these two things don't go together very well. MW basically told Boise yesterday that they can't do that going forward on the next contract and Boise St. replied with, yes we can, it's in our conference affilation contract and if if you don't like it, we'll leave.

Which brings us to the AAC which could use a 12th member and ESPN which would prefer we have a 12th member and divisions. I think it comes down to whether ESPN wants us to do this under our new deal with them starting in July. I'm betting both parties the pull the trigger this time.

So we'd end up going back to divisions after all with Boise St. in the West. This would mean that UC would only visit them away one of every 4 years on average? This would also mean someone has to move divisions. Before anyone suggests Navy, they entered the conference with the understanding they'd be in the West Division. I think that's contractual. That probably leaves Memphis which would really mess up the divisional power balance.

Time to get your hypotheticals and theories in folks.
    Last edited by Lobot; 01-18-2020, 11:52 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

It will be interesting to see what Boise State does. Although BSU must understand would not get a sweetheart financial bonus over other AAC members. They would get an equal share. I think it would only work for football though. Since other sports play a lot more games. I do not know the tv ratings for Boise games, but if it worth ESPN time then it can and will be done. The AAC would love another strong football program to complement their other strong programs. A theoretical schedule for Boise

H- Any FBS
    A- Any western fbs
    H- Any FBS
    A-Any Western FBS
    4 American Home games
    4 American Away games
    Playing two western FBS teams would limit travel, and have Boise playing in all the timezones. for tv purposes spreading the AAC brand.

Comment

Add Boise for Football, Dayton for BB. Go back to divisions, moving Navy to the East. Boise would play in the ETZ no more than twice per season.

Comment

Who would take on Boise's other sports? Their basketball team is NOT good and we wouldn't want any of their other teams in the AAC due to travel. If they can convince the Big Sky to let them in that would be ideal for them probably.

Comment

I would welcome them to our conference. It will only strengthen the football conference & would love to travel there every 4 years. It would be a win/win for both BSU & the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
            Who would take on Boise's other sports? Their basketball team is NOT good and we wouldn't want any of their other teams in the AAC due to travel. If they can convince the Big Sky to let them in that would be ideal for them probably.
            They might be a better fit for the WCC in basketball and possibly in Olympic sports as well.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

They might be a better fit for the WCC in basketball and possibly in Olympic sports as well.
              Maybe, I didn't do much research just saw two other Idaho teams in the Big Sky lol

Comment

BSU started out in the Big Sky and advanced to the MWC. Another option, rather than the WCC, which is made up of private schools, would be the Big West, which is comprised of eight CA schools, plus HI. That might not be favorable to the Broncos because of having to fly to Honolulu with their minor sports. So, perhaps a return to the Big Sky would work for their non-football sports. Any move they might make also would be contingent upon some conference wanting BSU.

Comment

Here's an article on the subject from The Idaho Statesman:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sport...239413553.html

Comment

As great as it would be for football, the remaining sports are not attractive enough, IMO, to add BSU. It is simply too far to travel for all other sports. I would take them only for football and decline all the remaining sports.

Comment

Travel schedules are very different for the Olympic sports in the AAC. Most of it is local. For UC, they go to places like UK, IU, Wright St, etc. Outside of a couple away conference travel matches, AAC schools meet up in season end championships.

Comment

I lived in Boise when I worked for PROCTER & GAMBLE. Beautiful and unrated city. But it is far and difficult to get to. It’s further west than Pheonix, AZ.
                        My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

If the AAC expands that far west, I would like to see the AAC jump up to 14 teams. Grab Boise St, BYU and Colorado State/Air Force. I only mention those teams as they were in previous scuttlebutt related to expansion.

Comment

Of course Boise would not get a separate deal with the AAC as they've had with the MW. If they insist on that I'm sure the AAC is not interested.

Comment

If AAC could pull off a coup of adding 3 teams as mentioned above, ESPN could help drive much better bowl affiliations, and the NY6 game would have to be contractually bound as it's unlikely to have an undefeated team with that schedule. No doubt the conference would easily be top 4 in terms of football SOS, top to bottom.

As much as we all hope, pray, and need to get into a different conference, this would the next best step. I like the aggressive moves the conference is taking to force our football schools into national conversation.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X