Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Justin Williams reported that the AAC have opted to go with 11 schools in 2020 & petition the NCAA to allow a championship game. Divisions would be eliminated. It would’t work with uneven divisions.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    Fletcher Page of the Enquirer tweeting that AAC members don't want any football only expansion, even BYU. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    I wouldn't rule Byu out given their contract(and likely future) is with Espn.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
    As usual, it looks like ESPN heavily influences conference membership.
    They hold the power of the purse.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    As usual, it looks like ESPN heavily influences conference membership.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    I’m not sure about the source here but apparently the deal is this. If ESPN allows UConn’s revenue to be split among the remaining members we will stay at 11.

If ESPN exercises the composition clause in the TV deal, the league would move to replace UConn with BYU rather than pay a contract penalty to ESPN.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    In a sport that gets little play in the media, the AAC began competition in women's lacrosse this past season with six schools, one of which was UConn. If the AAC loses them in this sport, there will be five schools, two of which are SEC in all other sports (Vandy & FL).

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    From "Lawless Nation", BYU's Fansided site:

"Yesterday, on BYUtv's Sports Nation, the AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told Cougar Nation that as far as AAC expansion goes, there has been vitually no communication between BYU and the AAC and that in all likelihood the conference will stay at 11 teams.

"Sure, that doesn't completely shut the door on expansion, but the door is closing enough to not be worth talking about for now."

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
    IMHO bad idea to add BYU. Geographically isolated and as we saw, adapting to the altitude is very difficult.
    I don't disagree, but with the options available making the fb league as competitive and quality oriented as possible is the best case scenario. Plus you only have to play out there every other year at max. so not like it's a high frequency. The more quality fball teams, the stronger the product.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Here's the push for UAB from the Birmingham perspective. Not my first choice, but worth considering:

https://www.al.com/uab/2019/06/ua-bo...onference.html

Leave a comment:

• Greg7173
    replied
    IMHO bad idea to add BYU. Geographically isolated and as we saw, adapting to the altitude is very difficult.

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    Where did you see they were in Provo?

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Good interview with Aresco from Dennis Dodd. Edit: Aresco was in Provo when he did this interview.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...it-with-uconn/

Leave a comment:

• Chewbacca2099
    replied
    Cool, so an extra 600K+ per school. Not a lot of money really, but better than nothing. I think I'd rather have the 600K than Army, etc... If we got BYU or Boise it'd be different but they are so far away don't know if it's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    No renegotiation of the contract with ESPN.

"The $1 billion deal has a clause that would allow ESPN to renegotiate if a member leaves, according to the Sports Business Journal. A source said the clause is specifically tied to five schools (Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis and South Florida), which UConn was not included."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...r-14057439.php

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X