No announcement yet.

UConn to the Big East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like i said above, Geno is the game in women's basketball. At this point he could be independent in women's basketball. He doesn't need a conference. It's highly unlikely when he's gone they ever are able to stay with his results. I got to wonder on the football side how much do do they are in with having to finance the facilities etc. This could be really crazy to watch. It's not a great sign when a Mac or Cusa says they'd have no interest in affiliating with your program. How that all gets bailed out will be a long evolving story i'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by GangstaTakester View Post
      With UConn "settling" to go back to the Big East, should we take this as a sign that the Big 5 conferences are not going to be expanding any time soon? UConn decided that expansion is semi-permanently on hold so no reason to really invest in it? I believe UC continues to act as if expansion could still occur and they continue to invest in facilities and great coaches. I just wonder how much longer they can do this before we also become in financial straits and have to make tough decisions about our athletics.
      Or, they could be of the opinion that expansion is likely to happen at some point, and they realize that they're now miles behind UC, Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis, at the least. They may be worried that losing 2 or more of those teams would seriously harm the AAC. They gave up football to do this (they won't survive in FBS), which is pretty drastic. They would never be competitive in the AAC as it is.

Comment

Closing lines are funny:

https://www.theday.com/article/20190...RT01/190629719

Comment

The UConn BoT has approved the move to the Big East.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Tuxedo Yoda right on cue with the twitter realignment BS.. LOL
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Tuxedo Yoda right on cue with the twitter realignment BS.. LOL
              Same for FluglerEmpire. Both are right back at it.

Comment

Looks like the exit fee is up to $12M. They moved before the contractual 27 month lead time was in effect.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think this provision pretty much puts a fork in Uconn's fball future if it wasn't already on life support:

If UConn decides to leave the Big East, it will have to pay a hefty fee. The terms of the contract state that UConn will be responsible for paying the conference $30 million if it withdraws within the first six years of membership. If the school bails within a three-year period after that, $15 million is owed. After 10 years, UConn would owe $10 million. A withdrawal fee can be split up into four payments, if necessary.

Comment

If UConn is agreeable to paying those fees with the new big east contract, then the AAC should not accept anything less than the $12 million they now owe the conference.

Comment

UConn apparently had the gall to ask Aresco to stick around in football today . Aresco: We have no interest..."
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        UConn apparently had the gall to ask Aresco to stick around in football today . Aresco: We have no interest..."
                        Here's the Courant's take:

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...xle-story.html

Comment

Can't say no more strongly than this.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...sco-membership

Comment

I just really have to wonder here. Will the NCAA allow UConn football players to transfer without penalty? Technically, they did not drop football, but in all practicality they did. If I'm a football player I'd have to feel betrayed and screwed over, and I'd want the **** out.

Comment

AAC AD's have a conference call tomorrow, scheduled to speak publicly afterward.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ture-of-uconn/

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                                I just really have to wonder here. Will the NCAA allow UConn football players to transfer without penalty? Technically, they did not drop football, but in all practicality they did. If I'm a football player I'd have to feel betrayed and screwed over, and I'd want the **** out.
                                I was thinking about that as my guess is half of the players, coaches, staff etc. are likely evaluating their situation. If it was me and i was a young player facing an uncertain schedule, et. al and i'm good enough to play elsewhere i'd probably get out before the practice starts and preserve my year regardless. I'm just not sure how many of those players are going to have D1 options of any note. They don't have a bumper crop of players unless some guys really upped their game. Football is a game of emotion and i'd be shocked if they do not take some dirty beatings this year in conference. Coaches i believe will use this as a motivating factor to fire their team's up. I almost feel bad for their fball team as i seriously doubt they saw this coming this quickly, and i'm sure they weren't sold on not being in a conference.They got hung out to dry big time, and their not a team who is well equipped talent wise to handle a gauntlet.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X