UConn to the Big East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=longtimefan;n367023]

That's the point. Leaving because you get a better invite is one thing and everybody understands that. Slinking away with your tail between your legs because you can't win where you are is something else.

The Big East is a better invite. Here are the conference RPIs since the inception.

2013-2014 BE 4 AAC 8
    2014-2015 BE 2 AAC 8
    2015-2016 BE 4 AAC 8
    2016-2017 BE 3 AAC 7
    2017-2018 BE 2 AAC 7
    2018-2019 BE 5 AAC 6

With that being said I wouldn't want UC in the Big East because they don't have football.
    Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 06-23-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2...onference.html

The idiot who wrote this is dreaming. He mentions, among other things, that UC could be drawn out of the AAC to play BE basketball and join a loose alliance of football schools that would include UConn and other flotsam who presently play as independents. Har-de-har-har.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bearcats1232002;n367030]
        Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

That's the point. Leaving because you get a better invite is one thing and everybody understands that. Slinking away with your tail between your legs because you can't win where you are is something else.

The Big East is a better invite. Here are the conference RPIs since the inception.

2013-2014 BE 4 AAC 8
        2014-2015 BE 2 AAC 8
        2015-2016 BE 4 AAC 8
        2016-2017 BE 3 AAC 7
        2017-2018 BE 2 AAC 7
        2018-2019 BE 5 AAC 6

With that being said I wouldn't want UC in the Big East because they don't have football.
        You gave my answer at the end. You see a trend where the AAC is slowly but surely increasing in the RPI, the BE had it's worst showing last year. Long term the AAC is going to be equal or better. That's all irrelevant, however, because when you consider the whole athletic department UConn took a major step down. Again, nobody in the AAC is sorry to see them go, which tells a lot about the situation.

Comment

The funny thing is I've seen multiple members of the media state that the UConn admin has no idea where fotoball is going to land. One would think a good academic school like UConn would employ people smart enough to look into that before they pulled the trigger on this. This is almost as screwed up as UAB was before they terminated their program.

To their credit they're going to lose money on this but the admin may be thinking long game here where they save money way down the road after all the exit fees, etc.

Recruiting class for 2019 was ranked 126/129. That's Bad. Also you have to like Edsall with the Colonel Klink post on twitter. He has no idea what's happening it doesn't sound like.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It's all about money. The UConn athletics department is hemorrhaging to the tune of $41M last year. Even their bell cow basketball programs shed millions. They can't afford multiple trips to Dallas, Houston, Tulsa, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans and Wichita. Now, they can bus down to St. John's, Providence and Seton Hall. It's a relatively short flight to DC. They have to fly to Cincy anyway, so it's a wash to play XU.

Attendance has collapsed at both football and men's basketball games. The new AAC-ESPN deal cuts them out of their SNY broadcasts of local games in favor of ESPN+.

So, football becomes the sacrificial lamb.

Comment

I believe that I am going to repeat what others have said. UConn's football program will slide to division 2 and become irrelevant. I am not sure if I agree with the assessment and comparisons between the Big East and the AAC in basketball since the formation of the AAC. Louisville won the whole thing in the first year of the conference and that should mean something. Do that just discount that because the next year they went onto the ACC and became irrelevant, disgraced, and under investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                The funny thing is I've seen multiple members of the media state that the UConn admin has no idea where fotoball is going to land. One would think a good academic school like UConn would employ people smart enough to look into that before they pulled the trigger on this. This is almost as screwed up as UAB was before they terminated their program.
                To clarify, the University of Alabama shut down UAB's football program - it has to do with how the state of Alabama public college system is setup. The UAB folks were very much against the shutdown from the get-go.

But your point is spot-on about what seems, to put it kindly, like a of foresight on Ucon's part.

Comment

The Ucon's are also on the hook somewhat to keep Rentschler Field afloat financially. Here's an interesting story about that from earlier this year.

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-rentschler-field-uconn-football-east-hartford-development-20190224-dbvunnqb2fhnfgyiwqeaoscqnm-story.html

Comment

The other thing is they really do not have a top notch bball facility either. Gampel was built around the same time as the original Shoe on campus and holds about 10k. I don't think it's been upgraded since, but i could be wrong. The XL Center in Hartford for those who have gone to conference Tourneys is about like the Coliseum before they did any work to it. At the end of the day, losing Jim Calhoun has brought Uconn back to the pack, and now they're having trouble keeping their head above water in a football world. Geno on the women's bball side is not replaceable, and they know that. It will be interesting to see where/how they end up if they ever get back to close where they have been. Tough road ahead. Calhoun was a polarizing figure, but one thing he did and could do is win. He didn't do it like the traditional blue bloods on talent alone so his forumula is tough to replicate. I kind of laugh though when i hear reporters talking about losing the "Uconn" brand to the AAC. I think that ship kind of sailed a while back.

Comment

From Brett McMurphy Twitter, he was pretty reliable on the last wave of expansion.

UConn “delusional” if it wants to be AAC football-only member, source told @Stadium. MAC & C-USA also not interested so Huskies have to be FBS independent. Army & BYU top candidates for AAC, but league may stay at 11 unless ESPN sees more value w/12 teams

Good article from McMurphy on the situation: https://watchstadium.com/news/how-uc...pe-06-24-2019/

Comment

IMO, Unless ESPN somehow mandates we add 1 for 12 teams, they should really just stay at 11. The only team that really moves the needle in football is Boise St and they're so far out of the geographic zone for everyone else that it makes no sense from an expense standpoint. Same goes for BYU plus scheduling anything with them is impossible outside of football because of the no Sundays stipulation on their part.

The conference was already moving it's offices to Dallas in 2020, it moved the MBB tournament to Fort Worth for 3 years. They were ready to get the **** out of Providence and New England anyway. Teams don't have to go to Storrs/Hartford anymore which is a huge travel savings for the southern members of the conference.

If you stick to geographics and TV markets no one makes sense here. You have FAU, Ga St in major metros and maybe Colorado St at best.

I'm of the opinion that you maybe even negotiate down UConn's exit feee to get rid of them immediately so no one has to deal with them anymore.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          I'm of the opinion that you maybe even negotiate down UConn's exit feee to get rid of them immediately so no one has to deal with them anymore.
                          I second that motion.

Also, if the revenue is not reduced from TV, each school will get an extra 600k per year roughly, which is about 7.2 million over the life of the contract.
                          Last edited by longtimefan; 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

With UConn "settling" to go back to the Big East, should we take this as a sign that the Big 5 conferences are not going to be expanding any time soon? UConn decided that expansion is semi-permanently on hold so no reason to really invest in it? I believe UC continues to act as if expansion could still occur and they continue to invest in facilities and great coaches. I just wonder how much longer they can do this before we also become in financial straits and have to make tough decisions about our athletics.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with 11 at all. Drop the divisions in football and play the same eight-game conference schedule as before. The only possible fly in the ointment would be if the NCAA blocked the AAC from holding a championship game. However, since they permitted the B12 to do so with ten teams instead of twelve, there would be no real reason to deny the AAC. I'm sure ABC/ESPN wouldn't want to lose the game.

On the basketball side, other leagues have gone to a 20-game round-robin schedule. Just replace the low majors with the two additional conference games.

Comment

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma cautioned that the expected move doesn't mean a return to the glory days of the old Big East.

The Hall of Fame coach, speaking to reporters at a charity golf event, noted that the conference is not the same one that included schools such as Notre Dame and Louisville.

"It's like saying you're moving back to your hometown, but the block that you lived on and half the city is gone," he said. "It's not the same."

LOL. Geno said this to ESPN. Evidently he isn't impressed.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X