No announcement yet.

UConn to the Big East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of recruiting to UConn , they have zero recruits for next year apparently.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Why is no one talking about trying to add Buffalo to the conference? Or is adding them not possible for some reason?

Comment

If you want to go small UB or Georgia St or ODU might work but to be honest I'd rather pull from the MWC where's it's more of a lateral move for the school with a better TV deal coming from the AAC. I'm not sure any of those schools listed are a better option than a bad UConn team as far as what they bring to the table financially. I'd be ok leaving UConn's seat empty rather than watering the conference down further in football. Geographically, Ga St is a good solution but I don't think the program is ready to jump up another notch that fast.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
          Why is no one talking about trying to add Buffalo to the conference? Or is adding them not possible for some reason?
          Buffalo wouldn't be a bad choice but adding a MAC school wouldn't excite people. I would say VCU, Umass, Rhode Island and Marshall perhaps? I thinking more of basketball of course except for Marshall.

Comment

Totally differnt track here but if you're looking for positive things from this, UConn leaving the conference would be good for our Women's basketball program, and everyone else in the conference. WBB is actually Uconn's best program over the last 10 years or so and our program is on the rise. We were getting closer to them but with them gone, that's two less losses every year and a better shot at an NCAA berth.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

Buffalo wouldn't be a bad choice but adding a MAC school wouldn't excite people. I would say VCU, Umass, Rhode Island and Marshall perhaps? I thinking more of basketball of course except for Marshall.
              I don't think you're going to get anyone else in the conference excited about travelling to Buffalo in the winter for hoops.

Part of the issue with UConn in the conference is that they're a geographical outlier from the rest of the conference that no one in the South wants to travel to regardless of the time of year. All the media guys from other schools and other coaches are jumping up and down about not having to travel up there going forward. XL Center, Gampel and Rentschler were all approaching dump status pretty quickly if they weren't already there. I never went up to Hartford but Some of the folks I know that did said XL is not that much better off condition wise than US Bank.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

CBS has stated that the AAC is staying at 11 for football when this finally occurs
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

For basketball, as of now we play 18 conference games. Is it possible we see that rise to 20 when UConn leaves? Assuming we don’t add another school for basketball. That way every team would play each other in the conference twice, instead of playing most twice and a few once?

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
                    For basketball, as of now we play 18 conference games. Is it possible we see that rise to 20 when UConn leaves? Assuming we don’t add another school for basketball. That way every team would play each other in the conference twice, instead of playing most twice and a few once?
                    Extremely likely we'd go to round robin at 20 in 2020-21
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If we go football only, I'd still prefer Army or Air Force. If we add another basketball only, I'd add Dayton. They have great fans, would sell out every game, and provide at least one AAC team in close proximity. Ideally, add a school for all sports, but there don't appear to be any strong options there. Dayton would have a big upside in a better league, the only problem is they're a small private, which may not fit.

Dayton averaged 12,992 home attendance, 23rd overall. UC was #30 at 11,095.
                      Last edited by longtimefan; 06-22-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

What if this starts the ball rolling on breaking up the AAC. We *tge top tier AAC teams) have proven in both FB and BB that we can compete at the highest levels. UC and UCF to the SEC. Houston to the PAC12 with Texas. SMU and Memphis to the remnants of the Big 8/12. Temple tl the Big East....
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                          What if this starts the ball rolling on breaking up the AAC. We *tge top tier AAC teams) have proven in both FB and BB that we can compete at the highest levels. UC and UCF to the SEC. Houston to the PAC12 with Texas. SMU and Memphis to the remnants of the Big 8/12. Temple tl the Big East....
                          Interesting thought but probability of happening very close to nil.

Comment

On the bright side is the fact that Uconn has evidently given up on any Power 5 aspirations so one less team to compete against. You need to keep your football team competitive in whatever league your in, even though that wasn't happening in the AAC, and that is less likely going forward.

I think this is a smart move for them. Capitalize on your brand which is basketball for them and get in a stable league. Let's face it. If UC, USF, UCF, Houston or Memphis get a better invite they are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                              On the bright side is the fact that Uconn has evidently given up on any Power 5 aspirations so one less team to compete against. You need to keep your football team competitive in whatever league your in, even though that wasn't happening in the AAC, and that is less likely going forward.

I think this is a smart move for them. Capitalize on your brand which is basketball for them and get in a stable league. Let's face it. If UC, USF, UCF, Houston or Memphis get a better invite they are gone.
                              That's the point. Leaving because you get a better invite is one thing and everybody understands that. Slinking away with your tail between your legs because you can't win where you are is something else. The fact that nobody in the AAC is upset about this is another thing that tells you where UConn stands.

Comment

I am a little upset but I am not torn up. Their basketball has alot of name recognition and I think Hurley can get them back. Their problem was Kevin Ollie who set their program back several years.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X