No announcement yet.

Post Big 12 scenarios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Aresco said at Media Days today that Expansion for the AAC is NOT on the table.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Splitting next to nothing will more schools makes no sense.

Comment

Now that the dust has settled and no expansion, I believe Texas and Oklahoma simply tried for more money or to squeeze ESPN and FOX to undisclosed commitments. Those schools, along with ESPN and FOX see whats on the horizon and that is the P4 conferences. There aren't enough legitimate schools left, at this time , to keep doing the P5 thing. The best product going forward, just like when they did the BCS, is forming the 4 power conferences along with input from the broadcasters. If, and its a big if, when realignment happens, UC needs the power brokers to drop those bottom feeders in the conferences and add schools like UC, BYU and UCONN thinking that would assemble the best product available.

Comment

Originally posted by slimm View Post
          Now that the dust has settled and no expansion, I believe Texas and Oklahoma simply tried for more money or to squeeze ESPN and FOX to undisclosed commitments. Those schools, along with ESPN and FOX see whats on the horizon and that is the P4 conferences. There aren't enough legitimate schools left, at this time , to keep doing the P5 thing. The best product going forward, just like when they did the BCS, is forming the 4 power conferences along with input from the broadcasters. If, and its a big if, when realignment happens, UC needs the power brokers to drop those bottom feeders in the conferences and add schools like UC, BYU and UCONN thinking that would assemble the best product available.
          I personally don't believe any of the teams in the P5 now will be dropped if their conference stays in tact. If the B12 does fold a few teams may be picked up but others will be left behind. Boston College, Virgina,
          S Carolina, Vandy, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana & other teams that do poorly in football will be able to hang on to their conferences. If not, I believe the amount of lawsuits that would arise would simple make it a
          night mare. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

I think we are forever screwed at this point. Hopefully we can get a few decent years in before the P4 happens and breaks away from the rest of us. I'll just be happy I was in school during the glory days of Big East and Brian Kelly. Time to refocus on basketball I guess. Our best hope is the Big10/SEC/PAC take the big12 leftovers on their way to 16 and the ACC adds us and UCONN to get themselves to 16... but I don't see that as likely anymore.

Comment

The AAC is apparently going to look outside the box for a TV contract. I suspect that means a streaming network of some sort. They are meeting with ESPN with the next week or so to negotiate a new rights deal also.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If Mike Aresco wakes up, he could raise the level of the AAC to be more desirable than it is now. There are a number of up and coming football programs (sadly we aren't one of them) and basketball is on par with the rest. We need better TV (and it looks like he is working on that) PLUS better bowl games. Our bowl lineup sucks. He needs to leverage FedEx dollars and support. We have Memphis. Why not use them??

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Mike Aresco said at Media Days today that Expansion for the AAC is NOT on the table.
                  12 s a good number and from the way the Big 12 expansion candidates campaigned, we have big time strength in this conference. Houston/Cincy/Navy can carry this conference.The reality is those three were mentioned due to recent success and perceived placement in the Big 1 invite rankings and Navy's national following, but all schools in conference have legitimate big time program capability, even Tulane with the right coach. We have great media exposure in highly populated cities/markets not dominated by other P5 teams. We have strong academics at Temple/Tulane/UC and many others. The missing factors are time and money. Over time, this conference will generate good revenue and could see that go very high with extended periods of placing a team in New Year's Day or CFP. I wanted it to be UC this year, but after losing to Houston, I rooted big time for Houston. Now, I'm hanging my conference values on Navy.

With all of that, I would like to see the AAC bring in some partial agreements to have BYU become football and basketball only partner, like Noter Shame with ACC. I'd also like to see a AAC -WAC two week challenge. Each conference member plays two teams from the other conference one at home, one on the road. It'd be great if they could work the schedules with higher finish teams playing each other, more big time matchups and a reward for doing well.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X