Big Ten says Army, BYU, ND, Cincy, UConn are Power 5 opponents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten says Army, BYU, ND, Cincy, UConn are Power 5 opponents

This is really good news. UC and UCONN are the only AAC teams considered Power 5 equivalent.
    From Yahoo Sports: Big Ten teams must play at least one Power Five opponent on their non-conference slate beginning in 2016.

Beginning in 2016, the B!G teams must schedule at least one Power Five opponent on their non-conference slate. There are five additional universities included as "meeting the rank" of a Power Five school, three independents (Army, BYU, and Noter Shame), and two AAC members; UC and UConn. This is a nice recognition for UC and UConn. I'm surprised Boise didn't make the cut for the B!G, but there are rules in place to allow for additional future exemptions (the criteria wasn't included). This does open the door for more "bigger games" against traditional powers, but doesn't mean we'll get into a P5 conference anytime soon. On the other hand, it could be an indication of eastward B!G expansion to include UConn. It doesn't make as much sense from a football perspective, but both genders' basketball could help the B1G Network get the tv revenue.

The ACC and SEC will also have same requirement, though only two independents are considered at the P5 level; BYU and Noter Shame. Sadly the ACC and SEC will not allow any Group of Five schools to fulfill the requirement. Neither the ACC nor the SEC will go as far as banning FCS games, which the B!G will also begin in 2016.

I like the banning of FCS teams. To me, it's like MLB playing a Japanese professional team; both play the same game, but have differing abilities to attract same talent.

The Big 12 and Pac 12 do not have requirement to play at least one P5 school in non-conference play.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

While I agree this is not bad news, I think this mostly has to do with the number of future games already scheduled. Cincinnati is on the future schedules of Indiana (2021 and 2022), Michigan (2017), Nebraska (2020 and 2025) and Ohio State (2019), while UConn has games scheduled with Illinois (2019 and 2020) and Indiana (2019 and 2020).

Just guessing that the schools OK'd the P5 requirement under the condition they did not have to dump some of the games they already scheduled.

I am curious to see if this means other B1G schools will come knocking on the door

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X