Houston May Lobby To Join B12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston May Lobby To Join B12

As with a good number of AAC members, exit ramps would be welcomed in Houston. Last week, BYU stated its intentions to join the B12. Now, UH appears to be kicking around the idea of pressing their case.

I don't think they have a shot, simply because of all of the other, more prominent, Texas schools involved already. Naturally, if the B12 were to expand, we want them to find the best possible bridge to WV. Houston wouldn't qualify on that point.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...0ac6229b3.html

You never know with the neanderthals in Austin running the show. They might view Houston as a nice "bridge" to Morgantown. Just what the Big 12 needs......another Texas school.
    I bet newly hired head football coach Tom Herman (tOSU's Offensive Coordinator) is pushing this. Welcome to a Non-P5 Conference Mr. Herman.....where you don't always get what you want.

Comment

If Houston (or some the other schools being mentioned like UCF, SMU, USF, BYU) get in to a P5 conference and we don't I will be officially, extremely ticked off!!! (Even though no one cares if I am ticked off LOL)

Comment

This has been bouncing around for a week or so, The higher ups at Houston want into the Big 12 and apparently have no concept of reality. It's laughable to me that they think the other Texas schools are actually going to voluntarily let them in. The Big 12 already has the Houston TV market with Texas in the conference. File this one under very unlikely.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Houston isn't going anywhere unless the PAC12 wants into TX and can't lure Texas or Taco Tech. If either leaves for another conference, I could see UH getting a call-up as a replacement.

Geography is working against them.
          RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
          CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
            Houston isn't going anywhere unless the PAC12 wants into TX and can't lure Texas or Taco Tech. If either leaves for another conference, I could see UH getting a call-up as a replacement.

Geography is working against them.
            The old Southwest Conference disappeared because of its Texas "centricity." (Arkansas doesn't/didn't count.) While, like most UC fans, I w0uld love a P-5 invite, I'm not sure I'd be excited about going to a conference that is so short sighted as to also add a 5th Texas school. Sooner or later the almost exclusive Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas footprint is going to start costing them money, and a lot of it, and just adding more Texas schools isn't going to avert that outcome. When you have the entire population west of the Rockies and east of the Mississippi (exclude W. Va.) without much of an interest in watching it's hard to believe the networks will put a high priority on showing their events.

Comment

They first have to figure out how to draw a couple thousand fans to a bball game. Attendance is horrific.

Comment

Universities courting a P5 conference is not news, there are probably 20 for every one you hear openly doing it. Wanting to get into a P5 conference is the dream of several universities, though it is only a remote possibility for 5-7 schools.

When you hear rumors/news stories of a P5 conference courting a particular university or two, then we will have news. I don't think you will hear much in the way a conference courting a university as the P5 conferences know they don't have to court. If they want a school, all they have to do is extend the invite and that will result is rumors/news stories for the hour or two it takes for the university to formally accept the invite.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I seen this debated in other threads. But as far as the Big 12 expanding. I do not see it happening this year. And the only way I see it happening before the end of their current TV contract is if they get excluded from the CFP again. Is that the general consensus? I was hoping that the Big 12 would have overreacted by getting left out of the CFP and announce a invite after this years championship game. But as time goes on, it seems like we have to root for a snub year after year. What dominoes other than that would need to fall that would speed up the process?

Comment

Hopeless

I have a feeling that the CFP will expand to 6 or even 8 teams (because of the money). When that happens it is unlikely that teams at the top of the Big 12 will be left out even without the championship game. I hate to be a pessimist and I hope I am wrong but I have feeling we are stuck in the American for a long time if not forever.

One hope that we have is if the musical chairs start again (Texas moving to the SEC for example). We may end up in a lesser Big 12 that eventually will be left out when they merge to 4 super conferences but it will be better than the American. If this scenario happens then it would be a good idea to form a great basketball conference and not worry about football kinda like the new big east. We don't need to kill football but maybe not worry about it as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                      If this scenario happens then it would be a good idea to form a great basketball conference and not worry about football kinda like the new big east.
                      I'm both a FB & BB fan, but Football pays the bills.

Look at how much Notre Dame, osu, Texas, etc. has to throw around.

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminerdski View Post
                        But as far as the Big 12 expanding. I do not see it happening this year. And the only way I see it happening before the end of their current TV contract is if they get excluded from the CFP again.
                        Fast forward to Sept 5 this year when a loaded Notre Dame team plays Texas in South Bend. My crystal ball says Texas gets spanked (they still don't have a QB). If that happens, it's going to be fun watching the nut jobs in Austin and their puppet (Bowlsby) sweat bullets again.

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
                          I'm both a FB & BB fan, but Football pays the bills.

Look at how much Notre Dame, osu, Texas, etc. has to throw around.
                          I am a big fan of FB and BB as well.
                          Football is a big money maker if you are in a P5 conference (or super 4 if we go that route). Once the dust settles there will be a clear difference between the haves and have-nots. If, God forbid, we end up in the have-nots and there is no hope left of getting out then investing huge amounts in football would no longer make sense. The P5 would love to run the have-nots pretty much out of business.

I think basketball will always be needed by the P5 because they play more teams and need to schedule them. Plus they wouldn't want to totally do away with the successful NCAA tournament.

I am not in favor of scaling back football until we are clearly in the have-nots category and have no hope to get out.

Comment

I am predicting that the NCAA will no longer run the bb tournament as it is now. Once the conference realignment has settled, the P5 will operate their own tournament with all teams qualifying. The first weekend may not be as interesting as it is now, but the rest of the tournament will provide for the same drama. And for that reason alone, the TV networks will swoon over the new entity and pay huge dollars.

Four 16 team conference equals 64 teams. Nice symmetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                              I am predicting that the NCAA will no longer run the bb tournament as it is now. Once the conference realignment has settled, the P5 will operate their own tournament with all teams qualifying. The first weekend may not be as interesting as it is now, but the rest of the tournament will provide for the same drama. And for that reason alone, the TV networks will swoon over the new entity and pay huge dollars.

Four 16 team conference equals 64 teams. Nice symmetry.
                              That would be attrocious....only about 20 of those teams are perennial basketball powers.. the rest just suck... Weird to have a BB tourny without ever seeing a Georgtown, Butler, Nova, Gonzaga and soo many more..

I just don't see the exclusive 64 team format for basketball.. They can do it football because technically they haven't excluded the other schools/teams from reaching a NC, there is a chance (albeit your chance of getting hitting my a meteor is greater), but there is a chance a team outside the P5 could get there. But to tell teams/schools that they can't play in the tourny, because they aren't in one of these 4 conferences.. Hello law-suits please, and they would win those law-suits.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X