Could The Big 12 Be Ready To Expand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could The Big 12 Be Ready To Expand?

The B12 meetings take place at the end of January. The feasibility of expansion will be a major topic. In the article below, both UC and UConn are listed as the best BE properties available.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/01...gue-could.html

Well lookie here...

Comment

Not really sure I can see them expanding now. Who would they go after and why??
      Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
        Not really sure I can see them expanding now. Who would they go after and why??
        Because the new national championship selection starts in 2014 (?) and it is believed that they will have to have a championship game within the conference to be part of it and currently you need 12 teams to have that game. The Big 12 is on record as saying that they want to change the rules to allow a 10 team conference to have that game. But if they stick with the 12 team rule, then the Big 12 will have to act quickly to set up the 2014 schedule and that means adding 2 teams. This is my understanding any way.

Comment

The AD at WVU has always been a proponent to add Louisville and Cincinnati to the Big 12. UCONN would be a decent substitute for UofL. So I'm sure we will here more about this in the coming weeks. It would be great to see the Big 12 add UC, UCONN, Florida State and Clemson to go to 14.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDog View Post
            The AD at WVU has always been a proponent to add Louisville and Cincinnati to the Big 12. UCONN would be a decent substitute for UofL. So I'm sure we will here more about this in the coming weeks. It would be great to see the Big 12 add UC, UCONN, Florida State and Clemson to go to 14.
            If you're Tom Jurich, do you listen if the B12 picks up the phone and calls you to gauge interest in joining the B12 along with UC, FSU and Clemson thus spurning the ACC? I'd much rather have UL come with us and let the ACC grab UConn and USF amongst others.
            RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
            CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
              If you're Tom Jurich, do you listen if the B12 picks up the phone and calls you to gauge interest in joining the B12 along with UC, FSU and Clemson thus spurning the ACC? I'd much rather have UL come with us and let the ACC grab UConn and USF amongst others.
              My choice is to always be in the same conference with UL. My opinion is that they are our biggest rival. However, at this point, beggars can not be choosy.

Comment

yep, agree 100%. hopefully, they would try to grab some other acc teams and we could hop into the vacated spots. do not want to be in big 12. to far and to culturally different.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                  Because the new national championship selection starts in 2014 (?) and it is believed that they will have to have a championship game within the conference to be part of it and currently you need 12 teams to have that game. The Big 12 is on record as saying that they want to change the rules to allow a 10 team conference to have that game. But if they stick with the 12 team rule, then the Big 12 will have to act quickly to set up the 2014 schedule and that means adding 2 teams. This is my understanding any way.
                  Gotcha, didn't know that.
                  Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
                    Gotcha, didn't know that.
                    The NCAA is meeting I believe next week in TX to discuss the future the football championship game and future rules. I had read that the Big 12 is going to propose amending the conference championship football game requirement to include 10 team conferences. I doubt if that will pass. I am predicting that the Big 12 will have to add teams to be allowed to have a conference championship game. Also, it is my understanding that the national championship will be played among conferences that have a conference champion crowned by a conference championship game. If my understanding is correct, the Big12 will have to add 2 teams. Also, what I have read is that the "experts" keep referring to the big four in terms of the SEC, BIG, PAC, and Big12. They do not mention the ACC.

I am among those that think that the ACC is a better fit for UC. However, if the ACC is about to go the way that the Big East just went, it may be better to look at the Big12. My preference would be the BIG since I grew up outside of E. Lansing and have been a Big 10 fan since childhood. However, I know that UC does not add TV market shares to the BIG. However, UC does add Ohio, part of Indiana and Kentucky to the ACC and the Big12. Outside of UC, there are no other options for a conference looking at Ohio.

Comment

The NCAA is meeting I believe next week in TX to discuss the future the football championship game and future rules. I had read that the Big 12 is going to propose amending the conference championship football game requirement to include 10 team conferences. I doubt if that will pass. I am predicting that the Big 12 will have to add teams to be allowed to have a conference championship game. Also, it is my understanding that the national championship will be played among conferences that have a conference champion crowned by a conference championship game. If my understanding is correct, the Big12 will have to add 2 teams. Also, what I have read is that the "experts" keep referring to the big four in terms of the SEC, BIG, PAC, and Big12. They do not mention the ACC.

I am among those that think that the ACC is a better fit for UC. However, if the ACC is about to go the way that the Big East just went, it may be better to look at the Big12. My preference would be the BIG since I grew up outside of E. Lansing and have been a Big 10 fan since childhood. However, I know that UC does not add TV market shares to the BIG. However, UC does add Ohio, part of Indiana and Kentucky to the ACC and the Big12. Outside of UC, there are no other options for a conference looking at Ohio.
                      I agree with the ACC being a better fit and you have to wonder if you're not jumping a sinking ship to another that is beginning to take on water in the ACC. The b12 is not a good fit, but..........

When there is talk of the big 4, I always ask where does the PAC12 get additional high level programs. They have a geography problem and lack of quality teams available in that area. I can't see how there are only 4 big conferences unless the other 3 go to 18 which is ridiculous.

Time will tell.

Red Rocker
                      CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

It's an interesting question... It would be in the best interest of the other leagues (specifically the ACC) to allow the B12 to stay at 10 schools. Forcing them to expand likely means raiding another conference.

Comment

If the Big XII doesn't act first, then the PAC 12 may look east to Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and perhaps Texas Tech. This would essentially destroy the Big XII and may save the ACC. I think it's going to depend on who is proactive and strikes first. Just hope the Cats can land on their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leojrellim View Post
                            If the Big XII doesn't act first, then the PAC 12 may look east to Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and perhaps Texas Tech. This would essentially destroy the Big XII and may save the ACC. I think it's going to depend on who is proactive and strikes first. Just hope the Cats can land on their feet.
                            I agree. It is a chess match between the B12 and ACC. The other 6 in the B12 would be screwed unless the B1G wanted to go to 20. I think TCU and Baylor could really get screwed if that were to happen.

Red Rocker
                            CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

The fact that for now the shufle seems to have calmed down makes me nervous. By all means UC cannot afford to stay in the Big East any longer than 2 years. The TV contract is going to be a fraction of what they once thought they would be getting into. If I'm UC, we need to be doing absolutely anything and everything, pulling out ALL of the stops to try and get into the Big 12. Geographically doesn't make sense, but then again, does WV make sense there? At the beginning of this entire debacle, I really thought that UC, UL and WV would end up together in a package to the Big 12, unfortunately it didn't pan out that way.

In all seriousness, these plans to expand Nippert, renovate 5/3rd, can we really move forward with those plans if we are stuck in this mess? Outside of increased private funding, I don't see how UC will be able to afford doing either of those while being a member of this conference for the long run.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X