Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no exit fee if all 7 left together. Ill look for a link

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ball-framework
    Last edited by Spinal2008; 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
      Don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'!!!

Good riddance. They were always part of the problem and not part of the solution. They got what they deserved. Big East leadership (i.e. BB schools, namely the Providence mafia) was always short-sighted and were always in denial about FB driving the bus. Their self-importance doomed the conference from the day they denied Penn State admission and started sponsoring FB just to appease the FB schools.

I hope they choke on it along with X.
      I agree completely. The fact that they are leaving together gives them some additional clout, but lets examine what would happen if they all left individually:

Georgetown: Obviously a major basketball program, but in the former Power 6 conferences their only home would be in the BE. This a program I will miss because we were starting to get a small rivalry with them. Remember the 2OT game in the BE Tourney semis last year? That was maybe the best game of the whole tournament. If GT were to leave on their own, their only home would be the A10, where they would obviously be the top program.

Marquette: Same as above, major program. We have had a nice rivalry with them over the years, and I'll miss them. As far as going out on their own, see GT above. A10 would be their only destination.

Villanova: Great history but in a down cycle now. A step below GT and Marquette at the moment. We never played them enough to really get a rivalry started, and we have not yet had a memorable game against them.

St. John's: The history is there, but have been irrelevant for a long time. We have had some good close games against them, but they are not a team I will really miss. They kind of sold out with Lavin, and with his history it is probably only a matter of time before they are busted by the NCAA. On their own a mid-tier A10 team.

Providence: Some success long ago, but an afterthought now. Not a team I'll miss at all. Since we have been in the conference all they have done is lower the RPI for everyone. On their own they would have trouble finding a home.

Seton Hall: Some good history with Rolly M, but that was long ago. The last 10 years or so they really had no business in the BE, they simply don't belong in elite company. Also would have trouble finding a decent home on their own.

DePaul: Should never have been invited to the BE in the first place. They were only added so the basketball schools would have an equal number of votes in the league. They were brought in only to appease the basketball schools, and all they have done in the BE is drag down the RPI for everyone else. I know they won a championship long ago, but right now they should be in the Horizon league.

So really, I don't think this is a terrible loss, these seven are so lucky to have Georgetown and Marquette. I can't see any possible TV interest in their new league without those two.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...gs-big-east-17

No wonder the Catholic 7 want to break away. They can't compete.

Comment

Just small correction . Rolly Masamino coached Villanova not Seton Hall. I think you meant PJ Carlesimo.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

They held a meeting today. Nothing earth shattering happened.

http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ss...tm_source=t.co
            RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
            CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

7 schools looking at lucrative TV deal
              Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X