Now What?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMoney1080 View Post
    Get to the BCS and win the BCS game, and all is forgotten. If we want to the B12 to take notice, that is what we need to do. Unfortunately, WVU will have something to say, but if you want people to notice, you take care of business.

I do believe that other conferences hold us in higher regard than what is publicized. ESPN cannot stand us, but ESPN is not the world. At UT, most of the fans, thought we were heading in the right direction and had a lot of positive things to say. Considering their year they have had, and what changes lie ahead, it might be a blessing in disguise. Moral victories aside, if we can get to the BCS, we have to win the BCS game to make a statement.

Both Va Tech and Clemson are beatable, would love to play Clemson more than Va Tech right now, so it is possible. Win and we get noticed. 3 BCS games in 4 years....regardless of whether or not, we should go, we would have gone. How many teams could say that....

Just winning a bcs game and taking fans to the game is not enough to get invited to a bcs conference, otherwise BSU would be fighting off BCS conferences left and right. It is does bringing in said school increase tv revenues enough that all schools in conference see an increase in revenues. We are in a tough spot as UC is probably not even the top draw in viewers in the Cincinnati TV market.

The only way we get an invite to Big12 is Big 12 wants to get to 12 and BYU turns them down again and Louisville is No 11. Tv network tells Big 12 Lousiville tv market is not big enough by itself to make numbers work, but if you throw in a combined Louisville and Cincy market that might make the dollars work. Frankly, dont see that happening. They might just jump over us and go get Rutgers (ny tv market). Remember BIG12 was interested in Pitsburgh before they went ACC.

I personally think our best bet is that some combination of SEC/BIG ten/Big 12 swipe 3 to 4 (ok 5 to 6) schools from ACC. I think we fit better in ACC than Big 12.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
      I'm not sure what you consider "working", but the best answer would be for the public to buy tickets for fball and bball games. Unfortunately, the work is on the side of the inviter, not the invitee. The big 12 has now desire to open up it's collective wallet any more than they choose to, and the numbers are not there for uc or louisville to sell it otherwise. That's why only wv was invited.
      Personally I think the only thing holding louisville back is size of tv market. Its athletic budget and revenues are already in line with Big12 schools (ok not texas and oklahoma but the other schools.) Its adding Louisville itself just doesn't move the value of the tv contract enough.

Also, the perception that they are just a city school. Unfortunately having a school named after a city still has a negative connotation. We and even rutgers have the same problem. Rutgers is just seen as the school by NYC, even though in fact they are the state school for NJ.

Would louisville be perceived more positively nationally if they were named Kentucky State? rutgers if they were named University of NJ? Cincy if we were named Ohio U?

Comment

Originally posted by raymo View Post
        Personally I think the only thing holding louisville back is size of tv market. Its athletic budget and revenues are already in line with Big12 schools (ok not texas and oklahoma but the other schools.) Its adding Louisville itself just doesn't move the value of the tv contract enough.

Also, the perception that they are just a city school. Unfortunately having a school named after a city still has a negative connotation. We and even rutgers have the same problem. Rutgers is just seen as the school by NYC, even though in fact they are the state school for NJ.

Would louisville be perceived more positively nationally if they were named Kentucky State? rutgers if they were named University of NJ? Cincy if we were named Ohio U?
        Two comments:
        1) I think that Louisville is also held back by the 8-20 record in Big East play over the past 4 years. They're bound to rebound, but if this were 2007 and they were coming off an Orange Bowl win, they'd have gotten the nod over WVU.

2) Some city schools do just fine, perception wise. For example: UCLA, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, and Boston College. And if you're looking at academics, there's the University of Chicago. I would argue that Syracuse, Miami, and BC actually get more respect than they deserve based on their performance.

Names are a mixed basket. Plenty of schools have changed their name FROM a state name TO a city name to improve their perception (UW-Milwaukee is now University of Milwaukee, Indiana Central is now the University of Indianapolis, LSU-New Orleans is now the University of New Orleans). Also, there's plenty of "state schools" that get little respect in sports (Utah State, University of Idaho, either New Mexico school, Texas State).

At the end of the day, you're respected for what you do, not what your name is.
        UC MBA '08
        Purdue '15

Comment

From Denny O'Brien who writes about ECU Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by kennh View Post
            From Denny O'Brien who writes about ECU Sports.
            While what he says may well have more than just a modicum of truth - note which school he writes about - and which schools are being discussed for inclusion - and where his last football coach is now working.

Comment

Good point

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
              While what he says may well have more than just a modicum of truth - note which school he writes about - and which schools are being discussed for inclusion - and where his last football coach is now working.
              That is a good point but the people that I have talked to over the last couple of months who know something about college football have told me there just aren't many schools the Big East could add that would really help with the AQ status. On top of which I think there is something to the BCS changing the rules substantially in the next 2-3 years that would eliminate the AQ status altogether. And why hasn't the Big East announced something? People are dragging their feet. I would hope it is UC and they are negotiationg with the ACC or Big 12 to get us in. I prefer the Big East but I think it is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by kennh View Post
                That is a good point but the people that I have talked to over the last couple of months who know something about college football have told me there just aren't many schools the Big East could add that would really help with the AQ status. On top of which I think there is something to the BCS changing the rules substantially in the next 2-3 years that would eliminate the AQ status altogether. And why hasn't the Big East announced something? People are dragging their feet. I would hope it is UC and they are negotiationg with the ACC or Big 12 to get us in. I prefer the Big East but I think it is dead.
                Well you'd better call President Williams and talk to him about it - from everything Babcock is saying Williams is leading the charge (effort?) to save the Big East football side. It's really simple - if they actually can sign up UCF, SMU, & Houston for all sports, while adding Boise St., and some combination of SDSU, Navy, AF, etc., for football only, the conference is actually stronger then with the 3 who are leaving, certainly on the football side. If they can't - then BEast football is in the dumpster and Williams and Babcock either have to find an AQ (or whatever the equivalent will be) for UC, or resign themselves to UC going back to football irrelevance. All of it is easy to say - but hard to do - but, to use the old expression, that is why they pay the 2 of them the "big bucks."

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
                  Well you'd better call President Williams and talk to him about it - from everything Babcock is saying Williams is leading the charge (effort?) to save the Big East football side. It's really simple - if they actually can sign up UCF, SMU, & Houston for all sports, while adding Boise St., and some combination of SDSU, Navy, AF, etc., for football only, the conference is actually stronger then with the 3 who are leaving, certainly on the football side. If they can't - then BEast football is in the dumpster and Williams and Babcock either have to find an AQ (or whatever the equivalent will be) for UC, or resign themselves to UC going back to football irrelevance. All of it is easy to say - but hard to do - but, to use the old expression, that is why they pay the 2 of them the "big bucks."
                  Rutgers rivals board is alive with posts refering to announcement being made tomorrow. SD St, Smu, Houston, Boise st and UCF to big east.

Comment

Originally posted by raymo View Post
                    Rutgers rivals board is alive with posts refering to announcement being made tomorrow. SD St, Smu, Houston, Boise st and UCF to big east.
                    Hope they are correct - but we've heard this before - what would be wonderful would be if the football schools finally get control of the voting process in the BEast and start doing things that are beneficial to those schools as opposed to doing everything for the hoopsters. For example, would they finally be in position to say to Notre Dame - in or out! (A position Babcock seems to favor - at least in so far as taking a BEast bowl slot, unless ND was to play at least 3/4 BEast teams/year, including 2 away from the Golden Dome.)

Comment

Three different news sources are saying Wendesday, tomorrow, but it could be they're all reporting on themsleves.

UH could join Big East as soon as Wednesday

The University of Houston could be joining the Big East as soon as Wednesday, according to a person familiar with the Big East expansion talks.

The league office is expected to announce the addition of UH, Boise State, Central Florida, San Diego State and SMU on Wednesday
                      http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/...ay-2348394.php

Sources: Boise State to Big East

The Big East is set to add Boise State, San Diego State, SMU, UCF and Houston as it begins to rebuild its league, with an announcement expected as early as Wednesday, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.
                      http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ing-conference

After two months of deliberation, the Big East will finally formalize its expansion plans with the addition of San Diego State, Boise State, Houston, Southern Methodist University and Central Florida, beginning with the 2013 season.
                      http://www.boston.com/sports/college...t_ready_2.html
                      Last edited by cpawstoney; 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X