No announcement yet.

BYU Close to Joining Conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDSU has had contact with Boise State about being such a partner but has not been directly approached by the Big East, as of recently.

SDSU Athletic Director Jim Sterk said Saturday night there was nothing new regarding the Big East.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-sdsu-partner/

Comment

BYU may join very very soon. If that happens it's likely BSU would follow.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Just heard Jay Drew, the SL Trib reporter linked above, on the radio. He said AF isn't joining anytime soon, so Boise made a big push on & for BYU. Two BE, not BYU, sources told him that there are a few TV points to work out before its a done deal.

Also said it probably wouldn't be for the 2012 season.

Comment

One of my friends is a big SMU guy. He told me last week that this was very likely, and that SMU, Houston, UCF have already signed the paperwork and are just waiting for the right time to announce.

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
            One of my friends is a big SMU guy. He told me last week that this was very likely, and that SMU, Houston, UCF have already signed the paperwork and are just waiting for the right time to announce.
            haven't heard this but then I'm not the authority and I'm not surprised by this if it is fact.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If, and I say if, this happens it brings about a few huge questions.

1. If the B12 came calling, and I suspect they would to appease WVU, for UL and us, do we go?
              I don't know the answer to that. If you get BYU and Boise, along with the newcomers, you are talking a gigantic TV contract. Markets be (darned), you have two teams in the western part of the country that draw a national interest and people like to watch. Throw in the up and comers and you have the makings of a very, very good fb conference. Discombobulated? Sure. But there is no denying that it is better than the ACC and possibly the Pac12.

2. What does WVU do?
              They have sold themselves up a river at this point. Now, they are looking at having virtually no travel partners and their closest conference school is 800 plus miles away. That is a brutal prospect for the long term. Football could handle it, but their non-revenue spots would rack up expenses and suffer.

And, the best part is, we could shove it to ESPN and sign with someone else and avoid these awful start times on a regular basis.

This is all speculation...but it's good to speculate on a positive note for once.

Comment

How important is is this "travel partner" thing? Do we carpool to games? For the all-sport schools, it's nice when the women's lacross team can got to WVU, then Rutgers, then to UConn and then fly back home. But for football I don't think it is necessary. I'm not sure that WVU having a "travel partner" for the Big 12 is needed. They aren't pulling up on Clifton Ave and beeping the horn to get us to come out and hop in the minivan with some road pops (you know what I mean), a PBJ sandwich and our athletic bag for a road trip to Oklahoma City. Now maybe it would be good for Texas Tech to be able to hit Louisville, then us and then WVU. But in reality, WVU isn't that close to here and they would probably fly to Morgantown anyway. Most of the scenarios I've seen online (maybe we should start calling them guesses) is that UofL would be next anyway, and UC is a distant 3rd with some other teams for a Big 12 invite. Maybe I don't have an good understanding of this "travel partner" thing but conferences don't seem to care about them when they are expanding.
                Last edited by bearcatd; 11-16-2011, 07:26 AM.

Comment

If the Big East can add both Boise and BYU as football members as well as the other mentioned schools in all sports, then I am content to stay in the BE. I have changed my mind on that over the last month or so, mostly due to the lack of interest in a very good football team, and the disappointing crowds at PBS.

This school doesn't have enough resources at the moment to compete in the Big 12 and the fan base is too lethargic (also at the moment) to be counted on- the Shoe was a mausoleum again last night.

Hopefully, the administrators are in the business of growing new customers and fans. I think the young people will be better, less fair weather fans than old guys like me, but that younger age group is struggling with the economy right now.

Adding Boise and BYU more than offsets the loss of perennially over rated Pitt and Syracuse. And it just might also entice Louisville to stay, and then WVU will be out on that island. They may want to come back home, at some point, and I would accept them back.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatd View Post
                    How important is is this "travel partner" thing? Do we carpool to games? For the all-sport schools, it's nice when the women's lacross team can got to WVU, then Rutgers, then to UConn and then fly back home. But for football I don't think it is necessary. I'm not sure that WVU having a "travel partner" for the Big 12 is needed. They aren't pulling up on Clifton Ave and beeping the horn to get us to come out and hop in the minivan with some road pops (you know what I mean), a PBJ sandwich and our athletic bag for a road trip to Oklahoma City. Now maybe it would be good for Texas Tech to be able to hit Louisville, then us and then WVU. But in reality, WVU isn't that close to here and they would probably fly to Morgantown anyway. Most of the scenarios I've seen online (maybe we should start calling them guesses) is that UofL would be next anyway, and UC is a distant 3rd with some other teams for a Big 12 invite. Maybe I don't have an good understanding of this "travel partner" thing but conferences don't seem to care about them when they are expanding.
                    The term "travel partner" is used in reverse.

Our Olympic sports teams could travel to Rutgers and St. Johns playing both in several days as opposed to making two trips. Hence the partner term.
                    Last edited by Bearcat Otto; 11-16-2011, 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                      The term "travel partner" is used in reverse.

Our Olympic sports teams could travel to Rutgers and St. Johns playing both in several days as opposed to making two trips. Hence the partner term.
                      This is a common misconception. Not all sports actually compete within a Big East schedule. It is very common with non-revenue sports to schedule games based on geography and/or competition availability...with the only Big East requirement being that they compete in the conference championship. This is not unique to the Big East.

Here's a few examples from UC...

2011-2012 Cross Country schedule:
                      Lexington, VA
                      Alexandria, KY
                      Nashville, TN
                      Cedarville, OH
                      Terre Haute, IN
                      Louisville, KY (Big East Championships)
                      Toledo, OH (NCAA regionals)
                      Terre Haute, IN (NCAA Finals)

2011-2012 Women's Golf schedule:
                      Louisville, KY
                      State College, PA
                      Las Cruces, NM
                      Dayton, OH
                      Ft Lauderdale, FL
                      Weston, FL
                      Mesa, AZ
                      Crystal River, FL (Strangely, I think UC might even be the host school for this one)
                      Pointe Vedra, FL
                      Orlando, FL (Big East Championship)

Comment

Originally posted by GoUC11 View Post
                        If, and I say if, this happens it brings about a few huge questions.

1. If the B12 came calling, and I suspect they would to appease WVU, for UL and us, do we go?
                        I don't know the answer to that. If you get BYU and Boise, along with the newcomers, you are talking a gigantic TV contract. Markets be (darned), you have two teams in the western part of the country that draw a national interest and people like to watch. Throw in the up and comers and you have the makings of a very, very good fb conference. Discombobulated? Sure. But there is no denying that it is better than the ACC and possibly the Pac12.

2. What does WVU do?
                        They have sold themselves up a river at this point. Now, they are looking at having virtually no travel partners and their closest conference school is 800 plus miles away. That is a brutal prospect for the long term. Football could handle it, but their non-revenue spots would rack up expenses and suffer.

And, the best part is, we could shove it to ESPN and sign with someone else and avoid these awful start times on a regular basis.

This is all speculation...but it's good to speculate on a positive note for once.
                        If BYU is in the fold, the picture improves significantly. I also hope that any new TV contract will allow the Big East to avoid the awful football start times. Rutgers, Houston, SMU, we all have the same issues with noon starts. Finally, when it is all said and done, I hope there is a west division that has enough schools so neither UL or UC are in the west (or at least us).

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                          This is a common misconception. Not all sports actually compete within a Big East schedule. It is very common with non-revenue sports to schedule games based on geography and/or competition availability...with the only Big East requirement being that they compete in the conference championship. This is not unique to the Big East.

Here's a few examples from UC...

2011-2012 Cross Country schedule:
                          Lexington, VA
                          Alexandria, KY
                          Nashville, TN
                          Cedarville, OH
                          Terre Haute, IN
                          Louisville, KY (Big East Championships)
                          Toledo, OH (NCAA regionals)
                          Terre Haute, IN (NCAA Finals)

2011-2012 Women's Golf schedule:
                          Louisville, KY
                          State College, PA
                          Las Cruces, NM
                          Dayton, OH
                          Ft Lauderdale, FL
                          Weston, FL
                          Mesa, AZ
                          Crystal River, FL (Strangely, I think UC might even be the host school for this one)
                          Pointe Vedra, FL
                          Orlando, FL (Big East Championship)
                          That is true that not all sports compete solely within the conference configuration. But having travel partners certainly helps in the ones that do...Basketball, Volleyball, Lacrosse, Soccer and Tennis come to mind. Baseball does but they only play conference games on the weekend so travel partners do not come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
                            If BYU is in the fold, the picture improves significantly. I also hope that any new TV contract will allow the Big East to avoid the awful football start times. Rutgers, Houston, SMU, we all have the same issues with noon starts. Finally, when it is all said and done, I hope there is a west division that has enough schools so neither UL or UC are in the west (or at least us).

The speculation in one of the above links was to have UCF be added to the western division because UL and UC do not want to be in it. They would also try to make UCF and USF an annual game. I think this would be fair to those schools who have been in the conference a while to move a school that has been practically begging to get in to the west.

As far as an announcement in the next couple of days??? Where have I heard that before?

Comment

This morning's updates:

In virtually every regard, Big East works for BYU
                              http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...-move.html.csp

BYU is on verge of joining Big East for football only
                              http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...rence.html.csp

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X