This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Exactly What I Did NOT Want to See

Before I start, let me just say that I like Coach Miller and I still think he can be a great coach. I won't completely judge him until we can get some time into this (a couple years down the line). I also understand that any time a new coach is hired it's inevitable that's going to bring in some people he's connected to. And obviously we had numerous roster spots to fill so the idea of us hitting home run after run in the tranfer portal was unrealistic.

BUT... this is exactly what I did not want to see. I didn't want to see a staff filled out with nothing but UNCG guys and I didn't want us taking on a bunch of UNCG transfers. A coach or two, or a player or two, depending on the circumstances, that's perfectly understandable. But this is getting a little concerning.

We've brought in 3 assistant coaches, all of who have ties to UNCG. We've brought in 3 transfers, all of who have ties to UNCG. We're 6 for 6 in bringing in new people into the program who had ties to UNCG.

One of the biggest questions I had about Miller coming in was whether he can recruit and whether he connections outside of North Carolina. He's obviously from North Carolina, he played at North Carolina, his family supports Wake Forest which is North Carolina, and he's coached at Elon, High Point and UNCG which, you guessed it, are all in North Carolina.

My other question was, can he attract major talent? Both on the recruiting side and in building out his staff. Does this guy have the experience and resume to recruit nationally and to pull in talent away from other major progams?

I know some won't want to hear this, especially after my rant when he was hired. But I do think if most are being honest they have to admit this is a little disappointing. There's so many players out there in the portal and there's so many coaches options available year to year. Yet we've landed on UNCG guys every SINGLE time.

We're running out of spots. And let's be honest, none of these players were that good at UNCG. How the **** can we expect them to be good here? The kid from Clemson wouldn't have been transfering to UNCG in the first place if he was a better player.

I'm not pointing out any of this to rip on any of this coaches and players individually. If you look at each and every one on their own then I can make sense of it. But when you add it up collectively, this is not at all the start I was hoping to see.

Bwahahahaha I mean, calm down.

Seriously? He will make comections. The staff isn't fully put together and the guy from IU, formerly UNCG, has connections in the mid-west. If you take 8-9 UNCG players, you may be onto something, although those teams have a lot of good players and wins. The assistants were always going to be his guys. The first 3 transfers are simply first because the relationship already exists. As to recruiting, he is 3 of 4, with Saundets/Madsen pulling out of portal, and MAW announcing he considered it and opted to stay. If rumors are true that he hasn't offered Dou a spot, he only missed on Eason.

Coach Wes has 3 more scholarships, plus the non bench coach assistants. You said you're giving him a chance, but you should have some patience. If you expected 2-3 5 star recruits to come knocking immediately, then your expectations were set too high. Coach Wes will bring in tough minded players to compliment the team and be Bearcat Strong. We will love the style, and the players/staff.

PS admins. Please move this thread into the new coach thread. It really doesn't deserve to be a standalone topic.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
      Before I start, let me just say that I like Coach Miller and I still think he can be a great coach. I won't completely judge him until we can get some time into this (a couple years down the line). I also understand that any time a new coach is hired it's inevitable that's going to bring in some people he's connected to. And obviously we had numerous roster spots to fill so the idea of us hitting home run after run in the tranfer portal was unrealistic.

BUT... this is exactly what I did not want to see. I didn't want to see a staff filled out with nothing but UNCG guys and I didn't want us taking on a bunch of UNCG transfers. A coach or two, or a player or two, depending on the circumstances, that's perfectly understandable. But this is getting a little concerning.

We've brought in 3 assistant coaches, all of who have ties to UNCG. We've brought in 3 transfers, all of who have ties to UNCG. We're 6 for 6 in bringing in new people into the program who had ties to UNCG.

One of the biggest questions I had about Miller coming in was whether he can recruit and whether he connections outside of North Carolina. He's obviously from North Carolina, he played at North Carolina, his family supports Wake Forest which is North Carolina, and he's coached at Elon, High Point and UNCG which, you guessed it, are all in North Carolina.

My other question was, can he attract major talent? Both on the recruiting side and in building out his staff. Does this guy have the experience and resume to recruit nationally and to pull in talent away from other major progams?

I know some won't want to hear this, especially after my rant when he was hired. But I do think if most are being honest they have to admit this is a little disappointing. There's so many players out there in the portal and there's so many coaches options available year to year. Yet we've landed on UNCG guys every SINGLE time.

We're running out of spots. And let's be honest, none of these players were that good at UNCG. How the **** can we expect them to be good here? The kid from Clemson wouldn't have been transfering to UNCG in the first place if he was a better player.

I'm not pointing out any of this to rip on any of this coaches and players individually. If you look at each and every one on their own then I can make sense of it. But when you add it up collectively, this is not at all the start I was hoping to see.
      This is wrong in so many ways and just indicates a lack of understanding of the process and circumstances. All of these issues have been discussed at length and don't warrant further effort to clarify.

Comment

The good news is you don't coach basketball.

Comment

And yet so right in so many ways... I am siding with MDW at this point. Hoping for more but nothing to get excited about yet except some kid that can shoot better ft's than CV. Right now we are looking like UNCG-CC (Clifton Campus).

Comment

Is there any way to block people on this forum ? I have found some of the criticisms of the players (particularly Chris Vogt) really irritating. What do these people want ? These are amateur athletes. If they're working on their game and doing their best , I don't think any criticism of them is warranted. If we had had a really talented frontcourt and he went in there and gave us 8-10 good minutes a game , he probably would have been fairly popular. Instead , he gets all this criticism from these supposed adults who probably couldn't hold his jockstrap in a pickup game and who have almost certainly not played college athletics at this level. Some of the most popular players in UC history have been relatively marginal talents that came in to thunderous applause when we had large leads. Might I suggest we get off of these young men's backs and support them. They do not deserve the negativity that is aimed in their direction.

Comment

You not going to convince very many kids in the transfer portal coming out of a situation that they made unhappy with (thus the reason for transferring), to come to another situation that is coming out of its own dumpster fire. Not immediately by any stretch. CWM knows this is his opportunity. He can kick the door down or fall flat on his face. But he knows what he is getting in these players. He will find out very quickly when he goes up against Houston, Memphis, and Wichita. If he don't develope these players then its an opportunity lost. He knows Houston just made it to the final four. So to bring a couple players over who knows how he wants to play and can play it is all right in my mind. Its only been two weeks. Now if he don't recruit any body else other than UNCG ballers then I would also be concerned. But we have three more schollies to give. Lets see what he will do. And also we have lamented for two years that we need a rim protector maybe these last two were recruited just for that, their defense, and not their scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by bfcain1 View Post
                Is there any way to block people on this forum ? I have found some of the criticisms of the players (particularly Chris Vogt) really irritating. What do these people want ? These are amateur athletes. If they're working on their game and doing their best , I don't think any criticism of them is warranted. If we had had a really talented frontcourt and he went in there and gave us 8-10 good minutes a game , he probably would have been fairly popular. Instead , he gets all this criticism from these supposed adults who probably couldn't hold his jockstrap in a pickup game and who have almost certainly not played college athletics at this level. Some of the most popular players in UC history have been relatively marginal talents that came in to thunderous applause when we had large leads. Might I suggest we get off of these young men's backs and support them. They do not deserve the negativity that is aimed in their direction.
                I agree. I will never boo a college player or trash him on this forum or anywhere else. If I was Eason & saw all the negative comments about his play, I wouldn't come back either. These are college kids. Let's cheer them on & support them in every way possible to make them feel welcome. Not criticize them if they don't play like all American's every second of the game. I live & die with each Bearcat win & loss.

Comment

Because of the late hiring of CWM, there's not a whole lot left to pick from among the top 250 high school kids (one 5*, two 4*'s and thirteen 3*'s uncommitted, per 247sports.com). After so many Brannen players bolted over his two years, and no replacements signed in the early period this season, there were a lot of holes to fill.

It makes sense, actually, to take a few players who understand Miller's system and played successfully in it, albeit versus lesser overall talent than the best of the AAC. There's no way this is going to be close to a finished product in 2021-22. CWM is scrambling to assemble a squad that is competitive. There are three more holes to fill, should he choose to build a 13-man scholarship roster. Most of them probably will be more guys from the portal. It must be hard to select players to add when he is simultaneously building a staff. Those guys have to hit the trails as well. From my perspective, he gets a pass.

Depending on how CWM constructs his 2021-22 schedule will determine whether this new team, thrown together at the last minute, will fare in the OOC portion of the season. I don't expect the Cats to blitz through the early going. But will they look more cohesive than the Cats looked this past year, while showing marked improvement throughout the season? If so, this will be a solid foundational year.

Comment

Originally posted by bfcain1 View Post
                    Is there any way to block people on this forum ? I have found some of the criticisms of the players (particularly Chris Vogt) really irritating.
                    Exactly! It’s so strange how much Vogt bashing there is on here, and some think a guy like Diarra was actually good. It’s unbelievable.

The starting SG and 2nd leading scorer on the national championship Baylor squad was playing at UNC Asheville his first two years before transferring to Baylor. (Teague)

The starting PG on the Elite 8 Arkansas squad is from none other than one NKU! (Tate).

Last edited by London 'Cat; 04-24-2021, 12:23 PM. Reason: Removed comments about other forum members.

Comment

MDW79 Just becuase they opted to play at UNCG doesn't mean they won't be sucessful at this level. Jarrett Hensley is a 4 star recruit who had an offer from LSU and UNLV. I realize the stars don't mean much without effort. He's a bit undersized for PF but we've seen undersized guys at PF do well here. If you can play you play. We'll see. There's plenty of scholarships available still to go outside the UNCG system going forward. It says something that all the UNCG guys wanted to come here and play for Wes Miller again. It's total opposite from where we just were from a coaching standpoint. We're basically renting Koval for a year. He's a grad transfer and that will be an open scholarship next year. Newman was recruited originally by Cronin. So yeah, he can play in this conference if you trust Mick's original assessment. .

bfcain1 Last I checked you can block people on here. I'm not an expert on blocking in this software becuase I can't really block anyone and moderate effectively. I'll send you a PM on that later. I agree with your sentiment though. There's no reason to pile on Vogt. Vogt is Vogt. He has shortcomings, we all know what they were. He has positive aspects as well but largely he is what he is. I don't see the point in dragging the guy. He did the best he could and he played hurt for two years. Can't ask much more than that.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post

I agree. I will never boo a college player or trash him on this forum or anywhere else. If I was Eason & saw all the negative comments about his play, I wouldn't come back either. These are college kids. Let's cheer them on & support them in every way possible to make them feel welcome. Not criticize them if they don't play like all American's every second of the game. I live & die with each Bearcat win & loss.
                        I mean, I don't boo college players either. In fact, I don't boo anyone. Never have. I'm also not tearing down this players individually.

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining myself. This wasn't meant to be a shot at any individual player or coach. That's why I said I can make a case for each and everyone of them on their own. But when you add them all together I think that changes things. I'm specifically talking about the collective approach.

So far we've add 6 new faces to our program (3 coaches and 3 players). All of 6 of them have ties to UNCG. That doesn't strike me as casting a wide-net or the most ideal way to improve our situation.

Comment

Way too early for this kind of pessimism. I watched UNCG nearly beat Florida State in the NCAA tournament, they would have won but for two blown referee calls (I was neutral then, but I remember thinking UNCG got screwed). I also doubt if that UNCG team, playing Houston twice, would have lost by a combined 75 points. The latest add, Hensley, was a 4 star recruit, but had a freshman year similar to what Zach Harvey and so many others had here, lots of upside though.

I have low expectations for the upcoming season, but look forward to it, and have high expectations going forward. We just have to have a little patience and give CWM a chance.

Comment

I mean, I don't boo college players either. In fact, I don't boo anyone. Never have. I'm also not tearing down this players individually.

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining myself. This wasn't meant to be a shot at any individual player or coach. That's why I said I can make a case for each and everyone of them on their own. But when you add them all together I think that changes things. I'm specifically talking about the collective approach.

So far we've add 6 new faces to our program (3 coaches and 3 players). All of 6 of them have ties to UNCG. That doesn't strike me as casting a wide-net or the most ideal way to improve our situation.

I see the three players recruited Newman, Koval, and Henley, but inless I have missed some late breaking news I see only one coach actually confirmed, Chris Pedore? who is actually in a non coaching aspect. Morgan and Roberts have been speculated but not confirmed unless as I said have missed the official announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

I see the three players recruited Newman, Koval, and Henley, but inless I have missed some late breaking news I see only one coach actually confirmed, Chris Pedore? who is actually in a non coaching aspect. Morgan and Roberts have been speculated but not confirmed unless as I said have missed the official announcement.
                              Chris Lepore will be Director of Basketball Ops. No one else has been announced yet. We still don't have bench coaches at this point. You might see Dermarr Johnson here in one spot which would be good seeing as how he's been working with guys in off season leagues. I'm behind on rumors this week so I don't have any other names to throw out other that whats's already mentioned here.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X