Assistants and Staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

For us that are not on Instagram could you share the hlghlites.
    I don’t think you need an account to view the post from the URL above. But LePore shared a pic of him with the Big O statue.

Comment

Thank you GB31

Comment

The best part of the picture is that he is entirely in UC gear.

Comment

Andre Morgan hire announced by UC https://gobearcats.com/news/2021/4/2...ant-coach.aspx

"We are thrilled to add Andre to our staff here at Cincinnati," Miller said. "Andre is a rising star in this business. He's an outstanding coach, connector and recruiter. He's a high-character addition to our staff and deeply values the development of our players. We welcome Andre to the Bearcats family along with his wife Lynn and their two daughters Amaya and Makenzie."

"I'm excited to be moving to Cincinnati to be part of the Bearcats basketball family," Morgan said. "I am thankful to coach Miller for believing in me. I'm ready to get to work!"

Comment

Jeff Goodman reporting Mike Roberts from IU is also joining the staff.

Roberts was an assistant for two years under Archie Miller (coming over from UNCG's staff as associate head coach) and was going to be in a non-coaching role this year at IU.

I've written about him in another thread, but I will call this a potentially "nice" or "solid" hire. But from a recruiting standpoint, this is not a "splash" hire (not a criticism whatsoever of Roberts, and perhaps he can reel in some legit talent - apparently he brought in many key guys at UNCG - but just saw someone on Twitter make a comment to that effect).

Here are Archie Miller's comments when he was hired at IU in 2019 (https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2019/8/2...versity.aspx):
            “Mike is someone who I think can have a great impact on our program. He has played an important role in establishing a championship culture at UNCG and his love for Indiana basketball is very evident. I think he brings outstanding qualities to every facet of what we were looking for in this position. If you look at his track record, he identifies great people and players who have achieved success in their development. Mike helps them reach their maximum potential which has allowed so many of their players continued opportunities to compete after their graduation.”
            Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-26-2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

This was expected and I am OK with it. Now need to add Dermarr or some other tie to UC culture. Need a lead recruiter. Not sure if that would be Wes himself, Morgan, or whether DJ is capable or experienced enough. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                This was expected and I am OK with it. Now need to add Dermarr or some other tie to UC culture. Need a lead recruiter. Not sure if that would be Wes himself, Morgan, or whether DJ is capable or experienced enough. Any thoughts?
                If the goal is to be a lead recruiter it’d be to go get a guy with major high major recruiting experience which DJ doesn’t fit into.

Comment

There are some different options if they want to bring in a former bearcat is a role like player development or something like that. I agree that recruiting needs to be prioritized for the final assistant spot.

Comment

@ChadBrendel
                    - Can confirm Cincinnati is expected to hire Georgia assistant Chad Dollar to round out Wes Miller's staff.
                    - Also hearing things are moving in a positive direction with Wes Miller and @DerMarrJohnson as the two work towards finding him a spot on staff.

Now this, referring to Chad Dollar, is reason to be excited from what I can tell. You need a guy who can "get dudes," as they say. And it seems like he is that guy. Lots of high major experience on his resume, and the type of guy you would've wanted to see on Brannen's staff (he went after and missed on Alabama's recruiting-centric coach two years ago).

And, of course, would love to have DJ back in the program and that would certainly check a box in terms of former players.

Also, from the best I can tell, seems like a rumor from BCJ boards (I'm not a member) about Mike Rehfeldt perhaps coming back as strength coach. That would be nice.

Comments from Tom Crean upon hiring Dollar in 2018 (for $270K):
                    "I've respected and admired Chad Dollar for a long time," Crean said in a statement at the time. "His coaching tree started in his own home and has progressed through his career with many great experiences. We're excited to add Chad's ability to lead young people and to teach the game and also the life skills that will serve them well. He brings a tenacity, not only to the court but to the recruiting trail and has helped recruit, mold and develop some outstanding players over his career. We're excited to have him at the University of Georgia."
                    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-27-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                      @ChadBrendel
                      - Can confirm Cincinnati is expected to hire Georgia assistant Chad Dollar to round out Wes Miller's staff.
                      - Also hearing things are moving in a positive direction with Wes Miller and @DerMarrJohnson as the two work towards finding him a spot on staff.

Now this, referring to Chad Dollar, is reason to be excited from what I can tell. You need a guy who can "get dudes," as they say. And it seems like he is that guy. Lots of high major experience on his resume, and the type of guy you would've wanted to see on Brannen's staff (he went after and missed on Alabama's recruiting-centric coach two years ago).

And, of course, would love to have DJ back in the program and that would certainly check a box in terms of former players.

Also, from the best I can tell, seems like a rumor from BCJ boards (I'm not a member) about Mike Rehfeldt perhaps coming back as strength coach. That would be nice.

Comments from Tom Crean upon hiring Dollar in 2018 (for $270K):
                      "I've respected and admired Chad Dollar for a long time," Crean said in a statement at the time. "His coaching tree started in his own home and has progressed through his career with many great experiences. We're excited to add Chad's ability to lead young people and to teach the game and also the life skills that will serve them well. He brings a tenacity, not only to the court but to the recruiting trail and has helped recruit, mold and develop some outstanding players over his career. We're excited to have him at the University of Georgia."
                      I was going to suggest this earlier today. Have Dermarr come back in a player development role and perhaps there is an opportunity for him to move up at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by bg703 View Post

I was going to suggest this earlier today. Have Dermarr come back in a player development role and perhaps there is an opportunity for him to move up at some point.
                        Pretty sure he’s being looked at as Director of Recruiting. So he can use his AAU connections

Comment

Originally posted by bg703 View Post

DJ will have to go through the NCAA certification process at some point before he ever reaches a point where he can recruit but as a player development guy he would be fantastic. One thing that stands out to me about him is that even though he was a Huggins guy, he was only here for one year. I think this is about basketball with DJ and not about Bob. Sometimes the the player alumni seem to be about Bob and I've never gotten that feeling with him. I think he's got some quality life lessons to share with our guys so I hope that this happens at some level.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Mike Roberts official, per UC announcement: https://gobearcats.com/news/2021/4/2...mbb-staff.aspx

"I've known Mike Roberts for over 20 years and he was the first person I called when I was hired at UNCG," Coach Miller says. "For seven years we worked side by side and I'm confident in our ability to do [t]hat effectively at Cincinnati. We have different personalities and backgrounds in coaching, but we share the same values. He's an elite coach. He understands what it takes to improve – one day at a time. And most importantly, he genuinely cares for the young people he coaches."

"I'm ecstatic about the opportunity to work with Wes Miller again and be a part of a storied UC program," Roberts says. "It took something special for me to leave my alma mater and I am forever grateful to Archie Miller, Mike Woods[o]n and the entire Bloomington community. I look forward to hitting the ground running at UC and helping this program compete for championships."

(fixed two typos [ ] )
                            Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-27-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

https://uga.rivals.com/news/dollar-e...-at-cincinnati
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31

Comments from Tom Crean upon hiring Dollar in 2018 (."
                                UC will be his 5th spot in 5 years. Weird thing to get excited about. Outside of the 2019 Anthony Edwards class at Georgia, pretty ho-hum recruiting classes. Not sure what signals he is “the guy”.

I hope he does well here.

Fun fact - he is Cameron Dollar’s brother.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X