2021-22 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by willlythebearcat View Post
    This for sure is starting to look super embarrasing..... The "number 1 coach under 40" should be able to recruit some guys other than UNCG guys that he already has a relationship with. He had almost the perfect opportunity to get some really good talent with the portal stacked like it was. He has proceeded to get nothing from this wealth of talent at all thus far. Many schools that are not blue bloods have done just that and have signed great talent..... This is a huge concern for me I am starting to worry about his recruiting abillty big time. John Brannen at least was able to go out and land some big time guys even if he ran them all off a year later..... JB brought one guy from his old lower tier school and we saw how great he was.......... I am keeping faith and hoping for the best but just like I seen with JB I am seeing some serious red flags here......
    Counterpoints...

John Brannen hired on April 14, 2019 with UC coming off a 28-7 record and #7 seed in the NCAA Tournament (nine straight NCAAs)
    Wes Miller hired on April 14, 2021 with UC coming off a 12-11 record (outside the Top 100) and no tourney + a very publicly known investigation into the prior coach

John Brannen lost two key pieces to transfer - including Nysier Brooks (was in the portal but uncommitted at the time) and Logan Johnson (went into the portal after the hire)
    Wes Miller retained two key uncommitted pieces that were in the transfer portal pieces and lost one (all in the portal for at least 2 weeks before Miller hire)

John Brannen's commitment timeline:
    - May 11, 2019 - Davenport, arguably a 3-star (came from prep school, not ranked with seniors)
    - May 16, 2019 - Vogt, transfer from NKU
    - May 30, 2019 - Adams-Woods, #247 recruit
    - May 31, 2019 - McNeal, transfer from Tenn. Tech
    - June 2, 2019 - Sorolla, transfer from Valpo
    - June 11, 2019 - Saunders, a HS junior who wound up #240
    - June 27, 2019 - Harvey, #49 after reclassifying from 2020 but took unique circumstances to get him to UC (and also involved seemingly pushing out LaQuill Hardnett)
    - July 3, 2019 - Jaevin Cumberland, a transfer from Oakland

Wes Miller received four transfer commitments between April 20 and April 28, 2021 - including a high major transfer (Clemson - #164 in 2018 class, ranked hire than Cronin's recruits that year including Johnson) and the #125 recruit in the 2020 class (ranked hire than Eason, Saunders, Madsen bros)

* Also, Jarron Cumberland -- while credit to Brannen for keeping him -- did not withdraw from the NBA draft process until May 27, 2019, there was a ton more uncertainty with that roster until Memorial Day compared to what Miller has going for him right now.
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-28-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Counterpoints...

John Brannen hired on April 14, 2019 with UC coming off a 28-7 record and #7 seed in the NCAA Tournament (nine straight NCAAs)
      Wes Miller hired on April 14, 2021 with UC coming off a 12-11 record (outside the Top 100) and no tourney + a very publicly known investigation into the prior coach

John Brannen lost two key pieces to transfer - including Nysier Brooks (was in the portal but uncommitted at the time) and Logan Johnson (went into the portal after the hire)
      Wes Miller retained two key uncommitted pieces that were in the transfer portal pieces and lost one (all in the portal for at least 2 weeks before Miller hire)

John Brannen's commitment timeline:
      - May 11, 2019 - Davenport, arguably a 3-star (came from prep school, not ranked with seniors)
      - May 16, 2019 - Vogt, transfer from NKU
      - May 30, 2019 - Adams-Woods, #247 recruit
      - May 31, 2019 - McNeal, transfer from Tenn. Tech
      - June 2, 2019 - Sorolla, transfer from Valpo
      - June 11, 2019 - Saunders, a HS junior who wound up #240
      - June 27, 2019 - Harvey, #49 after reclassifying from 2020 but took unique circumstances to get him to UC (and also involved seemingly pushing out LaQuill Hardnett)
      - July 3, 2019 - Jaevin Cumberland, a transfer from Oakland

Wes Miller received four transfer commitments between April 20 and April 28, 2021 - including a high major transfer (Clemson - #164 in 2018 class, ranked hire than Cronin's recruits that year including Johnson) and the #125 recruit in the 2020 class (ranked hire than Eason, Saunders, Madsen bros)

* Also, Jarron Cumberland -- while credit to Brannen for keeping him -- did not withdraw from the NBA draft process until May 27, 2019, there was a ton more uncertainty with that roster until Memorial Day compared to what Miller has going for him right now.
      Great information here and I am by no means advocating for JB.... I literally could not stand him and did not like the hire from day one...... I actually did like this hire but thought I would of seen a bigger splash in the transfer portal at the very least than I have seen thus far...... I hope he is amazing and does great things at UC...... GO BEARCATS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by willlythebearcat View Post

Great information here and I am by no means advocating for JB.... I literally could not stand him and did not like the hire from day one...... I actually did like this hire but thought I would of seen a bigger splash in the transfer portal at the very least than I have seen thus far...... I hope he is amazing and does great things at UC...... GO BEARCATS!!!!!!!
        I'm with you - Go Bearcats!

Comment

• He still may hes got two more to give away.

Comment

• I have similar feelings on the situation. I love the hire and all the positive energy around the program now. I did, however, feel Wes might be able to land some of the higher profile players given the volume in the portal but I guess all our turmoil hampers that. . I'm sure he does want some guys that are familiar with his style of play so he doesn't have to start from ground zero with everyone. I trust he knows what he's doing.

Comment

• I have no concrete info just more of a sense that he's gonna make his "splash" with one or both of these last two schollies. It may be wishful thinking but like it was said before with all the entrants into the portal and he not come away with a proven rebounder is a little odd. Almost as odd as the time it took to announce Roberts as his assistant after almost two weeks of speculation, and then the quick announcement of Dollar whose only been with Crean two years and whose reputation is a recruiter. I just sense something is in the works.

Comment

• I think everyone should settle down. The coach has started off by bringing in his kids that know the system and can help teach the others. Some will only be here a year. He trusts these players to play his system and he know very little about the ones who stayed. Also, anyone still in the transfer portal probably has baggage and maybe, it is not worth the chance to take them. He is going to bring guys in that will play his system and are of good standing. His system requires a lot of hustle and a lot of transission so many of your so called great ballers in the transfer system may not fit his system. I am so tired of the drama.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                  I think everyone should settle down. The coach has started off by bringing in his kids that know the system and can help teach the others. Some will only be here a year. He trusts these players to play his system and he know very little about the ones who stayed. Also, anyone still in the transfer portal probably has baggage and maybe, it is not worth the chance to take them. He is going to bring guys in that will play his system and are of good standing. His system requires a lot of hustle and a lot of transission so many of your so called great ballers in the transfer system may not fit his system. I am so tired of the drama.
                  +1, the reality is there are very few bid kids in the portal right now that are difference makers. A number of role players, but a guy like the kid from Memphis who just left is not likely to stay in conference and is in high, high demand. The question is who else might end up in the portal, and what is WM thoughts on Lahkin. I thought one reason he brought in the kid from UNCG for one year is to help with not only our lack of depth but also be a positive guy giving Lakin some work. Kid's in his fifth year and Lahkin is a greenhorn albeit he has international experience. My guess is they are trying to get the best fit they can, and it may mean some 4th or 5th year guys so as to not lock up schollys long term. I think we are fortunate to get the kid from UNCG given he has some offensive skills at the 5. There are not a lot of big kids out there with much offensive pedigree.I've not seen anything to suggest Lahkin is not staying and honestly if he was leaving i would have expected it by now. Kid's likely going to see playing time this year which i think folks are not considering given he sat out this year.

Comment

• My 2 cents: Many players in the portal are malcontents. Not saying they all are. I know Covid has played a role in the mass number of transfers. However, many are kids who feel like they deserve more playing time, weren’t onboard with coaches, etc. Perhaps Coach Wes Miller doesn’t want to hitch his wagon to some of these guys? Maybe he’d rather go with more known commodities than to hurriedly try to fill out a roster with guys that he’s never built a deep relationship with?

That’s my guess. Steady the ship in year 1. Take some big swings on the remaining recruits. Get your class in starting next year. This year is more about stability, in my opinion.

Comment

• And most of the players in the portal are moving down, not up, in hopes of more PT.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                        And most of the players in the portal are moving down, not up, in hopes of more PT.
                        For a big, there is a lot of playing time potential at UC. Let's get the right guys, but there are a couple PF/C type bigs tgat could blossom under Coach Wes.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

My comment should have been under his comment comparing them.
                          No problem, It's all good.

Comment

• Kieth Williams has signed with an agent and entered the draft. We all knew he was gone, this makes it official.

Comment

• I agree we have to give Wes Miller more time and he has to fill out the roster and focus on stability This may be a little 20/20 hindsight but I never got excited over John Brannen like some others did. JB never seemed to have any passion. At least what I've seen from WM, he's got great passion and drive.

Comment

• I think hiring Wes Miller was a pretty good hire. However, does it make sense to bring in another guard (AJ McGinnis)? That makes about 8 guards on a team of 13 scholarships. UC at this point only has about 2 true big men. Hensley is listed as a combo-forward. I cannot see him playing a power forward spot at 205 pounds although he is six-seven (somewhat small). That appears to be the problem with the big men that UC now have. Not heavy enough to bang in the paint. Lakhin is the heaviest at six-eleven and 228. Koval (transfer from UNCG) is seven-one but only weighs 220. Are these guys big enough to deal with Houston (who just added six-eleven 240 pound Josh Carlton from UCONN)? I do not know. Miller has got to go out and get some big men. UC needs some big men that can handle themselves in the paint. Although Vogt was extremely underdeveloped and not very talented, he was quite physical in the paint. Go back and look at some of those past games. Vogt used to dish out his share of physical punishment. He is about 245 or something like that, so he is bulky enough to dish out some pain in the paint. The big men that UC now have may be a little too light to really be effective in tough gritty physical games that Cincinnati is known to like to play. Hey; I cannot wait to see what this year's team is all about. Coach Miller, for God's sake go out and get some REAL big men that can BANG in the paint.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X