Potential/Hypothetical Head Coaches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MDW79 View Post

PS What a rough few months for Brendel. B. Fox actually manages to provide real insight on player unhappiness during the season whereas there's crickets from Chad. Then Justin Williams puts up an actual clinic in journalism with behind the scenes info that is nowhere to be found on BCJ. Then Chad manages to run with this Erik Martin story and manages to really piss off people like me. Real insider access that guy has.

I think many of us from the Huggins era were rooting for Erik Martin or Van Exel to be hired... While it's a little disappointing, now we play the wait and see game once again... I guess will know in 2-3 years if this was a good hire or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmoney70 View Post
      After all these years, you guys still can't move on from Huggs and the Final 4 team? That's my era, too but it's a long time ago.

Let's see how he does. And don't start whining about him leaving before he's even had a press conference. If he moves on to a bigger, better opportunity in the ACC in a few years, it will only be because he's had great success here.
      It's not just about the Huggs era. Martin has a decent resume and Terry putting it out that that NVE would come on an assistant (also has a lot of experience) makes that pair more than just a hire for nostalgia.

It would be one thing if we hired someone who clearly has a better resume. Bryce Drew, Sean Miller, Archie Miller, Frank Martin, Richard Pitino, etc. Guys that have actually coached at decent programs. But we didn't get that. We got a guy who has never won a tournament game, never been on a coaching staff that exists outside of the state of North Carolina, and has spent his entire coaching career recrutiing for BS programs.

Comment

• I really hope our fans don't do to Coach Miller what many did to Mick Cronin.

Comment

• Miller report card:

Excitement - F
          Potential $$$ from boosters - F
          Former player support - F
          Casual fan supprt - F
          Recruiting in the midwest - F
          Recuiting top 150 players - F
          Tournament success - F
          Career Coaching Record - C????

Apparently money and fan support weren't high on Cunningham's list of priorities. Neither was hiring a proven recruiter. I guess the top of his list was age (under 40), and not from the area.

Comment

• No matter who was hired there will be some people who aren't going to be happy.
            For me I'm glad to see we have a new coach and hopefully we can start moving forward to some better years.
            Welcome aboard Coach Miller.

Comment

• Guess what? It's the University of Cincinnati not the University of Huggins, early 90s etc. What has EM ever accomplished? Wes Miller has accomplished far more than EM has as a coach. I'm sorry, but I support the University of Cincinnati, not a single coach. All of you still praying for a Huggins era or for his guys to come back, get over yourself and go support him at WVU. He and his players aren't what makes this University. They are a part of the rich tradition that extends back to the greatest player to play collegiate sports in Oscar Robertson. Let me ask you, what have NVE, Kenyon Martin, or anyone else done for the University lately?I believe they all washed themselves of the University of Cincinnati when Huggins was run off because of DUI and calling the University President a b**** who couldn't touch him. Guess what, stay away if that's your allegiance because us fans of the program deserve better.

I'm a UC fan and always will be. I want whoever we hire to succeed. But if you want to pull your funding because of a coaching hire, then go root for someone else as you're the reason the University can't afford a buyout or to pay a coach to stay long term anyway. Your allegiance isn't with a University but with individual people that are a part of the whole so go follow them.

Go prove everyone wrong Wes and welcome to a fanbase that couldn't get behind someone who could actually coach basketball and was a bank shot buzzer beater away from a NC appearance with someone else's players!

Comment

• If NVE is as passionate as it’s been speculated what’s preventing him from joining this new staff as an assistant? It’s Erik Martin or bust? To me, the NVE stuff has always been a dream. He’s never done anything to suggest he wants it. And he shouldn’t have too. He’s on Mount Rushmore of UC basketball. Why is it his responsibility to coach the team to a final four too?

I think a past player you look at when filling in this new staff is Eric Hicks. Wes Miller could really make a splash with that and I think Eric’s heart, passion and intensity teaching our guys down low is what has been missing since the Huggins era ended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big_Daddy_Bearcat_07 View Post
                  If NVE is as passionate as it’s been speculated what’s preventing him from joining this new staff as an assistant? It’s Erik Martin or bust? To me, the NVE stuff has always been a dream. He’s never done anything to suggest he wants it. And he shouldn’t have too. He’s on Mount Rushmore of UC basketball. Why is it his responsibility to coach the team to a final four too?

I think a past player you look at when filling in this new staff is Eric Hicks. Wes Miller could really make a splash with that and I think Eric’s heart, passion and intensity teaching our guys down low is what has been missing since the Huggins era ended.
                  Wes likely will have a few coaches of his own. I think Erik would be a good fit, but not after all of the hype that just happened. Might be too soon. Nivk woukd likely be an excellent assistant for Wes, and go a long way towatd hom being a future head coach
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                    There is a lot more to running a program than being a good player from the glory days team. This can't be an emotional or sentimental choice. It appears that EM was given every chance to Impress that he could handle all aspects of the job and failed to win the offer. He really just didn't measure up other than emotionally. Clearly he would have energized things more in the short run but people supposedly in the know and with all the facts decided a different direction was best for the program. I surely don't know and neither do most of you who are jumping off the ship. Nationally, this hire is significantly more respected and impressive than hiring EM. To you Huggins era disciples, you have to decide if that is a stronger affiliation than being a die hard Bearcat fan. My concern, as others have stated, is Millers commitment to the program and ACC ties. I don't want to be used as the proverbial stepping stone. Who's to say however that EM wouldn't have had the same concern of returning to WVU when Huggs retires. I hope we are smart enough to include a lock tight and very significant buyout clause to deter early defection.
                    Bottom line, none of us know, only time will tell. He's a good and respected coach or he wouldn't have been a UNC candidate. Lets give him a chance and support the UC Bearcats and not come and go with our uninformed endorsements of coaches.
                    !!!

Amen Brother!!!

Comment

Miller report card:

Excitement - F
                      Casual fan supprt - F
                      Tournament success - F

Apparently money and fan support weren't high on Cunningham's list of priorities. Neither was hiring a proven recruiter. I guess the top of his list was age (under 40), and not from the area.

I always love when all this money will come back comes up. Please be specific whose money for those who have been here for a long time.

Fwiw, Brendel just posted Roy Williams joined Ucats. Not sure if's accurate or not, but we're past 4/1. Maybe he can be our Phil Martelli.

Comment

Miller report card:

Excitement - F
                        Casual fan supprt - F
                        Tournament success - F

Do you know which boosters will give now that there is a change or according to you very few will give. You make a lot of assumptions and only time will prove you right or wrong. The casual fan will be interested if UC starts to win big again as will other boosters.. Concerning tournament success the UC bar of tourney wins is at a very low spot right now. It is too early in the Miller era for such dire predictions.
                        Last edited by leo from jersey; 04-15-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X