Potential/Hypothetical Head Coaches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential/Hypothetical Head Coaches

As we await word on John Brannen's fate (but most believe the parting of ways with JB is inevitable), figured it cannot hurt to throw around some potential realistic replacements should he be replaced.

I will start with a name that makes sense to me on many levels, as I see it: Archie Miller

Case For:
    - Had success at Dayton (2 A-10 titles, four straight NCAA Tournament appearances including an Elite Eight)
    - Coached at IU during a brutal (good) stretch for the Big Ten, where he likely would have coached in the 2020 NCAA Tournament (canceled) and landed some 4- and 5-star recruits
    - Knows Cincy/SW Ohio and the region very well (ex: OSU transfer Jordan Siebert from Princeton HS shined at Dayton, Logan Duncomb from Moeller is committed to IU for 2021), his prior staffs were heavily influenced by area guys
    - Played in the ACC and has assistant coaching experience in the ACC, Pac-12 and Big Ten
    - Is not an assistant coach / has ample head coaching experience (and not from a one-bid league like the Horizon or Big South)
    - Would assemble a coaching staff suitable for the AAC
    - Would have a chip on his shoulder to prove he's still got it / would be hungry to win
    - Because he is available, if he has interest it would not take long for him to consider and accept if offered
    - UC seems like a good middle ground between UD/A-10 and IU/Big Ten, particularly without the pressure from a place like IU (just wants to coach like Cronin did, not be Mr. PR)
    - Already has existing relationships with high school recruits (and coaches) and kids that are or could be in the transfer portal
    - Has coached guys that are in the NBA
    - Comes from a basketball family (dad was a very successful high school coach) and obviously his brother is Sean
    - No NCAA violations or investigations
    - Seems well-liked by national media
    - 42 years old (not too old, not too young)
    - Is a straight-shooter when he talks and is not going to just throw out lots of buzz words to win a press conference
    - Had zero opt-outs this season at IU
    - Understands the Xavier rivalry from his UD coaching days (plus obviously Sean coached at X)

Case Against:
    - Did not have a successful tenure at IU and lost the fan base by the end (granted that is bigger than him; it has been a 20-year struggle at IU)
    - His IU teams struggled offensively, particularly shooting the 3 and also from the FT line
    - Has a defensive reputation but might need to move on from the pack line defense
    - Does not enjoy the "PR" aspect of coaching and does not have a big personality
    - Pittsburgh Steelers fan
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 03-30-2021, 01:27 PM.

I like the idea of Archie, but he may be too costly after learning we may need to wait until after Mar 31st to afford the Brannen buyout. Actually, what IU has done with their coaching situation makes me like Nick VanExel even more. He may need to add some assistants who are more tied into recruiting and the college game, but he would be an excellent leader for the program, have the NBA contacts top tier recruits like, and may be able to sway 1-3 former Bearcats to help him teach the Bearcat Way. BTW - I would not bring in a former high profile college head coach because that only creates a who's in charge type of situation.

You have to look at several mid major head coaches and P5 assistants. Archie is definitely on the list, but Wes Miller would be at the top of my list, despite his connections to Wake. Jon Scheyer is also on my list despite likelihood he could jump to Duke as coach in waiting. On that, I think there are several in Coach K's tree who have more experience and might get that job if/when Coach K retires. I like that Jon is an excellent X's and O's bench coach with great recruiting contacts (and it might not be hard to recruit to Duke, but his name is well known in those recruiting circles).

Nick, Wes, and Jon should all deserve consideration, and would be cheaper than Archie.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      I like the idea of Archie, but he may be too costly after learning we may need to wait until after Mar 31st to afford the Brannen buyout. Actually, what IU has done with their coaching situation makes me like Nick VanExel even more. He may need to add some assistants who are more tied into recruiting and the college game, but he would be an excellent leader for the program, have the NBA contacts top tier recruits like, and may be able to sway 1-3 former Bearcats to help him teach the Bearcat Way. BTW - I would not bring in a former high profile college head coach because that only creates a who's in charge type of situation.

You have to look at several mid major head coaches and P5 assistants. Archie is definitely on the list, but Wes Miller would be at the top of my list, despite his connections to Wake. Jon Scheyer is also on my list despite likelihood he could jump to Duke as coach in waiting. On that, I think there are several in Coach K's tree who have more experience and might get that job if/when Coach K retires. I like that Jon is an excellent X's and O's bench coach with great recruiting contacts (and it might not be hard to recruit to Duke, but his name is well known in those recruiting circles).

Nick, Wes, and Jon should all deserve consideration, and would be cheaper than Archie.
      Great thoughts!

I know Wes Miller is arguably the top young coach. For me, I know you could miss by not chasing the "next big thing," but the Brannen hire -- in hindsight -- has made me weary of someone who has never coached at this level. He certainly could be better than a bigger name who is older (a la Tuberville in football). But I personally would prefer someone more established and also not someone who is a current college assistant w/o head coaching experience.

I also had seen the name Kimani Young mentioned. I don't know his qualifications off the top of my head, but I believe he is the UConn associate head coach and formerly on staff at Minnesota where John Cunningham came from. Hopefully a potentially close personal relationship doesn't carry too much weight but obviously a factor.

And I know people will mention former Bearcat and current WVU assistant Erik Martin.
      Last edited by GoBearcats31; 03-30-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

If I understand his buyout from IU correctly, I wouldn't think salary demands would prevent his hiring.

Indiana is on the hook to pay him 3 million a year. If he takes another job whatever his new salary is gets subtracted from IU's obligations. So bascially, unless he makes over 3 million dollars (more than what IU is paying him) his new salary makes no difference in his actual income for these next few years. He could be paid $1 a year at his new stop, or 2.999 million a year, either way he's walking away with a total of 3 million per.

Examples:

UC salary - 1.5 mil. IU salary -1.5 mil. Total - 3 mil.
        UC salary - 2 mil. IU salary - 1 mil. Total - 3 mil.
        UC salary - 100k. IU salary - 2.9 mil. Total 3 mil.

Now, I would obvioulsy think he'd want a certain amount just for appearances and to set his market, but I would have to believe he's going to be pretty flexible early in his new deal.

If I'm wrong on any of this please correct me. But this is how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
          If I understand his buyout from IU correctly, I wouldn't think salary demands would prevent his hiring.

Indiana is on the hook to pay him 3 million a year. If he takes another job whatever his new salary is gets subtracted from IU's obligations. So bascially, unless he makes over 3 million dollars (more than what IU is paying him) his new salary makes no difference in his actual income for these next few years. He could be paid $1 a year at his new stop, or 2.999 million a year, either way he's walking away with a total of 3 million per.

Examples:

Now, I would obvioulsy think he'd want a certain amount just for appearances and to set his market, but I would have to believe he's going to be pretty flexible early in his new deal.

I believe you are correct. About 20 mins ago, I was actually messaging with someone I know who covers IU and he said IU owes him about $10.35M, payable monthly between now and March 31, 2026. "If he's receiving less monthly than IU owes him, then IU owes the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
            As we await word on John Brannen's fate (but most believe the parting of ways with JB is inevitable), figured it cannot hurt to throw around some potential realistic replacements should he be replaced.

I will start with a name that makes sense to me on many levels, as I see it: Archie Miller

Case For:
            - Had success at Dayton (2 A-10 titles, four straight NCAA Tournament appearances including an Elite Eight)
            - Coached at IU during a brutal (good) stretch for the Big Ten, where he likely would have coached in the 2020 NCAA Tournament (canceled) and landed some 4- and 5-star recruits
            - Knows Cincy/SW Ohio and the region very well (ex: OSU transfer Jordan Siebert from Princeton HS shined at Dayton, Logan Duncomb from Moeller is committed to IU for 2021), his prior staffs were heavily influenced by area guys
            - Played in the ACC and has assistant coaching experience in the ACC, Pac-12 and Big Ten
            - Is not an assistant coach / has ample head coaching experience (and not from a one-bid league like the Horizon or Big South)
            - Would assemble a coaching staff suitable for the AAC
            - Would have a chip on his shoulder to prove he's still got it / would be hungry to win
            - Because he is available, if he has interest it would not take long for him to consider and accept if offered
            - UC seems like a good middle ground between UD/A-10 and IU/Big Ten, particularly without the pressure from a place like IU (just wants to coach like Cronin did, not be Mr. PR)
            - Already has existing relationships with high school recruits (and coaches) and kids that are or could be in the transfer portal
            - Has coached guys that are in the NBA
            - Comes from a basketball family (dad was a very successful high school coach) and obviously his brother is Sean
            - No NCAA violations or investigations
            - Seems well-liked by national media
            - 42 years old (not too old, not too young)
            - Is a straight-shooter when he talks and is not going to just throw out lots of buzz words to win a press conference
            - Had zero opt-outs this season at IU
            - Understands the Xavier rivalry from his UD coaching days (plus obviously Sean coached at X)

Case Against:
            - Did not have a successful tenure at IU and lost the fan base by the end (granted that is bigger than him; it has been a 20-year struggle at IU)
            - His IU teams struggled offensively, particularly shooting the 3 and also from the FT line
            - Has a defensive reputation but might need to move on from the pack line defense
            - Does not enjoy the "PR" aspect of coaching and does not have a big personality
            - Pittsburgh Steelers fan
            They were moving toward the tourney last year. This year went to **** for many good schools. Impatient program, IU. If he's from this area, take a page out of the Fickell playbook "state of Cincinnati" and make some hay.

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post

Examples:

On the other hand, he could take a tv gig that wouldn't subtract from his $3 million and get both salaries. I know it's speculation, but at this point, the fanbase faith in Cunningham is gone. We simply no longer trust him to make a hire, unless something gets revealed that shows Brannen was more than "technically in the wrong" for CARA violations. Right now, Cunningham looks bad too.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

My first look would be Erik Martin / NVE. The recent successful former players coaching (Michigan / Memphis), makes me excited for these two former stars. Loyalty, proven winning at multiple levels and no doubt can recruit, make this an easy decision for me. I want stability, excitement and personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat1996 View Post
                  My first look would be Erik Martin / NVE. The recent successful former players coaching (Michigan / Memphis), makes me excited for these two former stars. Loyalty, proven winning at multiple levels and no doubt can recruit, make this an easy decision for me. I want stability, excitement and personality.
                  I like NVE and Erik...but in addition to Penny and Juwan, there is:
                  Kevin Ollie, Terry Porter, Jerry Stackhouse, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullen, Avery Johnson, Steve Wojo, Damon Stoudamire, Isaiah Thomas.

History is not on the side of success with former NBA players as college coaches

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Kevin Ollie, Terry Porter, Jerry Stackhouse, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullen, Avery Johnson, Steve Wojo, Damon Stoudamire, Isaiah Thomas.

History is not on the side of success with former NBA players as college coaches
                    And just to be clear, while Penny has done well in recruiting, his biggest accomplishment in three seasons in winning this year's NIT

Comment

He dominated this year's NIT. He also has a very strong recruit class coming. The trajectory is up for Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

One can easily find the negative. Erik Martin has paid his dues. Recruits like a motherf*#ker and was a key part of the greatest era of Bearcat basketball (in my lifetime). Brannen was a former player. Huggs was a former player. Mick played HS ball but that's it. My point is; these two aren't my number 1 coaching team JUST because they played ball, rather their body of work and time in the business of coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

And just to be clear, while Penny has done well in recruiting, his biggest accomplishment in three seasons in winning this year's NIT
                          Which is still more than us.

Comment

I guess we won't get Mick back.

Comment

Jason Shay........... ESTU......... Just up and resigned Tuesday afternoon for personal reasons after just one year. Could the wind be blowing this way. Not saying he's my choice just that he abruptly resigned and is only 48 years old.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X