No announcement yet.

Coaching Carousel 2021

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who do we want to replace Brannen and who can we afford? The only one I can think of is that big coach at Iona for some reason, but I know that will rub some fans the wrong way

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
      So who do we want to replace Brannen and who can we afford? The only one I can think of is that big coach at Iona for some reason, but I know that will rub some fans the wrong way
      My big concern with Rick was NCAA violations, but if he could take Iona to the NCAA Tourney that shouldn't be an issue. My second concern is he is 68; how much is left in his tank? I like the idea of a former Bearcat like Nicky or Eric Martin coming home, but not sure we are the place for a first time college coach either. If we are going to go after an assistant, I'd say someone like Jon Scheyer, even though I know he is gone the moment Coach K retires if Duke calls him. He is young, has learned X's and O's from one of the best, and is very connected to top level talent so he could makeover the roster into a top tier program in a year or two. Maybe we could woo away Bryce Drew from Grand Canyon, or Porter Mosely at Loyola-Chicago, or stay somewhat local with Anthony grant at Dayton, who also brings in a great knowledge of the MidWest

Of course this is pending if Brannen is truly gone. We really don't know how this will turn out.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

My big concern with Rick was NCAA violations, but if he could take Iona to the NCAA Tourney that shouldn't be an issue. My second concern is he is 68; how much is left in his tank? I like the idea of a former Bearcat like Nicky or Eric Martin coming home, but not sure we are the place for a first time college coach either. If we are going to go after an assistant, I'd say someone like Jon Scheyer, even though I know he is gone the moment Coach K retires if Duke calls him. He is young, has learned X's and O's from one of the best, and is very connected to top level talent so he could makeover the roster into a top tier program in a year or two. Maybe we could woo away Bryce Drew from Grand Canyon, or Porter Mosely at Loyola-Chicago, or stay somewhat local with Anthony grant at Dayton, who also brings in a great knowledge of the MidWest

Of course this is pending if Brannen is truly gone. We really don't know how this will turn out.

Rick Pitino won't get consideration. Pinto was the President who handled that whole mess and we're about to be coming off a situation were we apparently have legal problems. Pitino would be damn near last on the list if I had to guess. Anthony Grant will also be a no, he is REALLY good friends with CJB and I don't see anyway we get him to come here after handling this situation this way. Eric Martin, Jon Scheyer are good up and comers. Martin has been in the program and knows what it takes to be a bearcat. Pretty sure he has handled recruiting duties on West Virginia and I heard somewhere recently he is a "pitbull" in terms of recruiting and coaching. Jon Scheyer has been known as an excellent recruiter. The problem... He is recruiting to Duke which isn't very hard. Could offer some innovation as a really young guy but it would be a huge risk huge reward scenario. Bryce Drew would be the #1 guy on my list. Young guy, can coach. Took Grand Canyon to the tournament his first year this year. Not worried about the Vanderbilt numbers, no one can win at Vanderbilt. Archie Miller would be #3 on my list (Behind Eric Martin). Essentially the same reasons for Bryce Drew. Had a lot of success and then went to an extremely stressful job at IU who hasn't had success as of late. Would also love Thad Matta rumors are that he would be interesting in getting back with the right fit. **** of a recruiter, good person, good coach. Only issue is that health.

Board.
        1A Thad Matta
        1B Bryce Drew
        2 Eric Martin
        3 Archie Miller
        4 Jon Scheyer
        5 Ryan Pedon (assistant at OSU)

LAST: Frank Martin (Because h*** to the f*** no)

Comment

What about Ohio’s coach? Former assistant at aO$U.

Comment

I think Archie Miller would be a good fit. And Jeff Boals, as London 'Cat mentioned, is intriguing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post

Rick Pitino won't get consideration. Pinto was the President who handled that whole mess and we're about to be coming off a situation were we apparently have legal problems. Pitino would be damn near last on the list if I had to guess. Anthony Grant will also be a no, he is REALLY good friends with CJB and I don't see anyway we get him to come here after handling this situation this way. Eric Martin, Jon Scheyer are good up and comers. Martin has been in the program and knows what it takes to be a bearcat. Pretty sure he has handled recruiting duties on West Virginia and I heard somewhere recently he is a "pitbull" in terms of recruiting and coaching. Jon Scheyer has been known as an excellent recruiter. The problem... He is recruiting to Duke which isn't very hard. Could offer some innovation as a really young guy but it would be a huge risk huge reward scenario. Bryce Drew would be the #1 guy on my list. Young guy, can coach. Took Grand Canyon to the tournament his first year this year. Not worried about the Vanderbilt numbers, no one can win at Vanderbilt. Archie Miller would be #3 on my list (Behind Eric Martin). Essentially the same reasons for Bryce Drew. Had a lot of success and then went to an extremely stressful job at IU who hasn't had success as of late. Would also love Thad Matta rumors are that he would be interesting in getting back with the right fit. **** of a recruiter, good person, good coach. Only issue is that health.

Board.
              1A Thad Matta
              1B Bryce Drew
              2 Eric Martin
              3 Archie Miller
              4 Jon Scheyer
              5 Ryan Pedon (assistant at OSU)

LAST: Frank Martin (Because h*** to the f*** no)
              This entire list does nothing for me frankly

I absolutely do not want Thad Matta.

Bryce Drew is interesting but not sure he's at this level yet. He does have HC experience

Erik would be interesting but do we really want another Huggin's disciple is the big question. No HC experience

Archie is trending downwards although I think he's a decent coach.

Jon Scheyer is interesting. The question would he leave Duke with Coach K probably retiring soon? No HC experience.

Pedon has a good pedigree as an assistant but no hHC experience.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

This entire list does nothing for me frankly

I absolutely do not want Thad Matta.

Bryce Drew is interesting but not sure he's at this level yet. He does have HC experience

Erik would be interesting but do we really want another Huggin's disciple is the big question. No HC experience

Archie is trending downwards although I think he's a decent coach.

Jon Scheyer is interesting. The question would he leave Duke with Coach K probably retiring soon? No HC experience.

Pedon has a good pedigree as an assistant but no hHC experience.
                So the obvious question... give me a top 3/5 that you’d be interested in and would be good in your eyes.

and out of curiosity why the hard no to Matta?

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post

So the obvious question... give me a top 3/5 that you’d be interested in and would be good in your eyes.

and out of curiosity why the hard no to Matta?
                  Matta has health issues (still despite the false garbage at IU) . He's trending down in the coaching ranks at this point in his career. It's not that he can't coach and it's not the X and OSU connection. I think we'd be better with a younger coach that can relate to players. Matta doesn't seem to fit that.

The rest of it I'll get back to you on.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

All these guys mentioned are indigenous more or less to this immediate area but what is Cunningham's area of preference. As a new AD he would want to put his personal ambience on this. The tourniquet that gets puts on to stop the hemmoraging must be the correct one from jump. A complete mess up here would put his job in jeopardy. In at a loss as to where Cunningham came from before he came here , was it out west?

Comment

...I'm still waiting for someone to say what Cunningham's beef was/is with Brannen... The whole "he wants him out".. why ? The implication is that is NOT because of these things but that these things are the vehicle to the end... again.. WHY

Comment

In another thread it is implied that some cara infractions incurred by Brannen, practicing too long, etc. however i cant help but suspect that their is some underlying feelings , misgivings on the side of Cunningham. Now that I've had time to contemplate things, Eric martin has had more than enough time to develope his own coaching. blueprint and perhaps its time to see how it plays out in real life / time. He's a bearcat as well and that does bolster the impetus. Now does cunningham appease the fan base or will he just do as he wishes. Someone that's only been here just a short while and most of it in isolation ( covid protocol) doesn't really understand the bearcat mentality,

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                          In another thread it is implied that some cara infractions incurred by Brannen, practicing too long, etc. however i cant help but suspect that their is some underlying feelings , misgivings on the side of Cunningham. Now that I've had time to contemplate things, Eric martin has had more than enough time to develope his own coaching. blueprint and perhaps its time to see how it plays out in real life / time. He's a bearcat as well and that does bolster the impetus. Now does cunningham appease the fan base or will he just do as he wishes. Someone that's only been here just a short while and most of it in isolation ( covid protocol) doesn't really understand the bearcat mentality,
                          So the problem with Hicks... does he feel the same way as Huggins? Huggins as been his mentor for 10+ years now. Bob Huggins HATES UC now. He was on a podcast and said that he roots for Xavier during the cross town shootout. Chad Brendel has used the reference multiple times that if "Huggins saw UC on fire he wouldn't stop to piss on it." I would enjoy the Eric Martin hire, but the biggest question mark is that because Huggins has been his mentor for so long with these feelings against UC. Would he consider that betrayal to Huggins? Does he feel the same way as Huggins?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                            Not me. He might be the only one who could salvage this mess.

Comment

Disagree, That guy brings way too many skeletons in his background. I wish to not have UC become one of the schools that turns a blind eye on how these great coaches obtain all these great recruits. You can't clean up a mess using questionable methods or with those who have used those methods in the past.

Comment

Frank Martin is likely to stay at South Carolina, per a local paper late last night

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X