It can be done.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It can be done.

I watched the Ohio State game yesterday. Their coach used an eleven man rotation. This is the #4 team in america and they were competing against a Quad 1 opponent. Yet Holtman still gave quality minutes to eleven players; I could not help but noticing and sadly comparing, that the entire bench of buckeyes were out of their seats cheering, screaming and using joyfully excited body language. Compare that to the last UC game. The Buckeyes have the same covid restrictions as do many teams, so let us stop using that as a feeble although convenient excuse. Instead of happy kids, I saw depressed ones. I also saw one leaving.

You realize there are only 6 guys on Osu's team who average more than 15 minutes a game? The minutes at Osu aren't spread around any different than here or anywhere else in college bball. They have 5 guys who average north of 25 minutes which is even more concentrated than UC. They also have a coach in his fourth season and a full roster and one of the biggest money pots in college sports. Holtman was on the ropes with a lot of their fans with the losing conference season of two years ago and the 11-9 last year. If spreading minutes around is the prototype at Osu Harvey was getting a really good deal with his 16+ at Uc if that is the benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
      You realize there are only 6 guys on Osu's team who average more than 15 minutes a game? The minutes at Osu aren't spread around any different than here or anywhere else in college bball. They have 5 guys who average north of 25 minutes which is even more concentrated than UC. They also have a coach in his fourth season and a full roster and one of the biggest money pots in college sports. Holtman was on the ropes with a lot of their fans with the losing conference season of two years ago and the 11-9 last year. If spreading minutes around is the prototype at Osu Harvey was getting a really good deal with his 16+ at Uc if that is the benchmark.
      I realize that 11 guys got quality minutes in important minutes of the game and not garbage time. I further saw a happy bench instead of one that could be interchanged with a funeral. There is little joy and much depression on that bench in Clifton. I will also say I had confidence in Holtman due to his apprentice at a D1 school. You could see things in the works. While I would love to see them at UC, I see much fumbling in the dark. I also knew help was on the way 2 years ago at OSU as Walker was sitting out a year, Ahens and Washington were showing promise and E.J. Liddell (two time player of the year in Illinois) had committed. You could see a foundation being built while having a winning record (20-15). There was hope. There are much greater expectations at OSU among the many more fans than at UC, but I am a member of 5 forums and while everybody hates losses, I saw confidence among the fans. I also saw a stable AD with the total commitment to win. At UC, the commitment is for them to have a stepping stone for supposed greener grass (money/prestige) in the AD department and the President's. Yes you have to have some success to move on, but when you do move on, the program is back basically at start. You coached so you know your leaders need connections in the game, the alum, the city and among the High school coaches. Hard to get them by an itinerant culture.
      Last edited by leo from jersey; 02-19-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

To stop any speculations because I follow the Buckeyes too, my first love in BB has and always be the Bearcats. When their games on simultaneously, I watch the cats and dvr the buckeyes. I also just read many of the OSU forums (some I just graze), but I only care to comment about UC. They are where my heart is. Hey I was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. Cincy comes before Ohio. To make matters worse I attended grad school at UK, but I NEVER WATCH a game during the season and only in the tournament if I like the other team. I saw Oscar play. That my friends, turns a young boy into a lifelong fan. The back to back championships also helped. I want more.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X