X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoBearcats31
    started a topic Houston 2/21 1:00 ESPN

Houston 2/21 1:00 ESPN

UH beat writer: Sunday’s game against Cincinnati at Fertitta Center is up in the air right now due to winter storm in Texas that has disrupted power and water.

• Rufus
    replied
    UC has got a tremendous basket ball legacy as has been pointed out. But it also has had its share of terrible teams as well. Huggins was brought in to change the culture that was prevelant in the eighties specifically.. Ed Bagder in 1981- 82 lost seven in a row in what I believe that was his second or third year. He was let go after just a couple years after when consistent winning by him couldnt be obtained. But He was given several years to prove that. Its been brought out that Brannens second year is anything but normal, and excuse or not its a valid one. I too am concerned with the lack of recruiting but for now for the most part Brannen is still relying on players Cronin recruited for his only source of experience leadership and by all indications last year and this, those players are being brought forward reluctantly. Lets given Brannen at least his deserved two more years and then evaluate him

Leave a comment:

• leeraymond
    replied
    Do not get me wrong; all coaches have the right to implement whatever system they feel will generate wins. Brannen believes in offense. That is cool. You cannot win if you do not score the ball. On the other hand, if you cannot stop the other team from scoring, you will not win many. Brannen's system depends on playing fast because he believes in high possession games. In order for fast playing, quick shooting, high possession offensive systems to work, you got have three or four double-digit scorers in the line-up nightly. If you play fast and cannot score, you give the other team extra possessions to score. That is exactly what happened with Georgia and Houston. Of course when you include the turnovers and putting the other team on the foul line, you get losses. Let's not forget that Brannen LOST FIVE STRAIGHT GAMES this year. I have been following Cincinnati Basketball for over 25 years and I cannot ever remember another coach losing five straight games. I could be wrong (especially from 2006 to 2009). I am in agreement, you must give Brannen time to fully implement what he wants to do. Brannen had a pretty good first year because of the Cumberland boys and Trevon Scott. This year, the team has problems. In closing, there is a big difference between how you want to play and how you need to play in order to win. I am not sure if John Brannen understands that.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by RedDog View Post
    OMG Leo! There is no reasoning with you - I am going out to cut the grass before my head explodes.
    do you say that because I don't take what you say to be true. Are you used to people just drinking up all you say and if they don't you are reduced to a personal attack saying I can't reason. That is silly and not what I expect from a reasoning adult. Here is a perspective from another old man. although he was a very successful football coach.

Losers never know why they are losing. They will mention injuries, the officiating, the weather and bad breaks George Allen

I have a pretty nice gym in my house. That is just one of the sayings I hung for my children's maturation. They have done quite well in athletics and in their professions. I think they got that message.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    I think the reason why Brannen was hired over other candidates was specifically that he was an offensive minded coach.

I’m not sure who else Bohn interviewed off the top off my head but keep in mind we , as a fan base, had just spent 11 years bitching about a lack of functional offense on our team. Tradition or no tradition, we basically asked for this.

Whether Brannen is right guy for the job and a good or bad hire remains to be seen. These are not normal times as far as coaching goes. No off-season, no in person recruiting, etc.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

Either find a way to succeed or make one." – Suzie Hoyt, Double-Goal Coach® Award Winner, 2017
    Brannen is making one. These transitions take time or were you calling for the firing of Huggins in 1991 or Mick in 2007? Neither coach made the NCAA tourney in year 1 or in year 2. We all know the great team Huggy had in year 3, but Mick didn't make Tourny until year 4. Brannen gets at least as long as Mick got.

Olive branch: Yes, yesterday's loss to Houston was embarrassing and un-like the Bearcats we expect. However, we cannot put unrealistic expectations on our year 2 coach.

Leave a comment:

• RedDog
    replied
    OMG Leo! There is no reasoning with you - I am going out to cut the grass before my head explodes.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

We all see that when they get the best recruits. I'll take the guys who want to be here and work hard. In recruiting, there will be some misses. Either a recruit didn't pan out the way we hoped for one reason or another, a la Harvey, or recruits to whom UC was second choice. Brannen is trying to balance the classes and you can't blame him for missing out on recruits who have a longer history with the school they ultimately chose. If this were year 3/4, his seat would be warm/hot. Brannen is doing better his first two years than Mick, even if no Big East level competition. Mick didn't even have a winning record until year 3 (18-14) and was still 9th in the league that year. I am not giving Brannen a pass (I misspoke earlier). Rather, I am being patient and monitoring the progress of lack thereof.
    Either find a way to succeed or make one." – Suzie Hoyt, Double-Goal Coach® Award Winner, 2017

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

I saw Michigan win with the star player being a frosh and a couple of their guards being frosh and one sophomore. I would easily give a pass, but he had another senior transfer who opted out and couldn't play a lick. He didn't use the portal to the team's advantage and the reasons are still not known why players left. He is getting a lot of excuses.
    We all see that when they get the best recruits. I'll take the guys who want to be here and work hard. In recruiting, there will be some misses. Either a recruit didn't pan out the way we hoped for one reason or another, a la Harvey, or recruits to whom UC was second choice. Brannen is trying to balance the classes and you can't blame him for missing out on recruits who have a longer history with the school they ultimately chose. If this were year 3/4, his seat would be warm/hot. Brannen is doing better his first two years than Mick, even if no Big East level competition. Mick didn't even have a winning record until year 3 (18-14) and was still 9th in the league that year. I am not giving Brannen a pass (I misspoke earlier). Rather, I am being patient and monitoring the progress of lack thereof.

Leave a comment:

• RecNizeRealBCat
    replied
    To be honest CBJ has brought in some pretty alright recruits, I just don't see his coaching putting them in the best positions to win. The way he substitutes looking for a spark is not easy to watch.
    it just takes too long for him to adjust it seems to the season knowing where his players fit and when they should be out on the floor and with which rotation.
    If your looking to create a culture or certain energy, why interchange the lineup every week and not play the most game experienced and capable players?
    Why play an unorthodox lineup when you have the players to be normal unless your really creating a scheme for a specific team or game plan?
    Davenport should be playing his natural position and so should Williams. Instead of playing SF when we had two in Davenport and Harvey.
    Mika Adams should have been coming off the the bench with how poised and intelligent he has shown to play if Dejulius was taking the starting PG role. Playing behind Williams if need be to help provide game experience to Saunders in the second rotation.
    CBJ seems to be trying to push certain players with Minutes Motivation which is backfiring. Diarra was the first and left the team and now Harvey. The team is hurting as a result and the record is just one sign. The way the team unravels is another, with the fight leaving well before the last whistle.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    So something that happened 60 years ago, the best team we ever had and could never repeat, was past on from generation to generation? I don't think they mean your lifetime to your next generation which is the argument you are applying. What we are talking about is basically recruiting class or era to recruiting class. We have good tradition for sure but your argument only shows your age, not relevance. Love your spirit man but todays kids are looking to play some offense, right or wrong. Again, our problem is we are playing offense OR defense. At least we have to pick one and preferably both.
    Do you realize the time between those National champions to Hugigns final 4 and today is all 30 years. Plus you are changing the subject from the definition of traditions to your subjective view of why it isn't UC tradition . Actually you went into why the team is losing instead of tradition, That is a switching of subjects. Do they still teach Principals of debate at UC? Or is that a tradition that is just an exception. Please address the subject which we were speaking on. We were talking about the WINNING TRADITION of the Bearcats and what tradition is.

Leave a comment:

• RedDog
    replied
    So something that happened 60 years ago, the best team we ever had and could never repeat, was past on from generation to generation? I don't think they mean your lifetime to your next generation which is the argument you are applying. What we are talking about is basically recruiting class or era to recruiting class. We have good tradition for sure but your argument only shows your age, not relevance. Love your spirit man but todays kids are looking to play some offense, right or wrong. Again, our problem is we are playing offense OR defense. At least we have to pick one and preferably both.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    a national championship or two I guess is the exception today. That is the UC tradition I know.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    Crap Leo....that was 70 years ago!!! C'mon man! Think in general terms, don't search the archives for the occasional exception. Sure I can list a few exceptions too but it doesn't outweigh the prevailing tendencies.
    Tradition doesn't have time restrictions. It is tradition. Look up what tradition means please. The only archives searched was my personal memories.
    Tradition =
    the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.

Leave a comment:

• leo from jersey
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

That's like saying Nick Saban can't change focus to an offensive juggernaut from defense. No school or coach is locked into one thing. If UC is a "defensive school", why weren't we a top defense under Yates of Gale? Because it was a Huggins thing and Mick is a Huggins disciple. Brannen is different. The team is young, and the senior leadership is inconsistent or missing. I expected Keith to flourish in this system and don't understand why he isn't. I understand a lack of recruits signed isn't a good sign and I am pessimistic about that too, but Brannen isn't on the hot seat nor should we ask him to change his coaching philosophy. If it works out, great. If not, his seat will get hot next year and burning hot in year 4. Year two, with only 2 seniors and four opt outs, he gets a pass.
    I saw Michigan win with the star player being a frosh and a couple of their guards being frosh and one sophomore. I would easily give a pass, but he had another senior transfer who opted out and couldn't play a lick. He didn't use the portal to the team's advantage and the reasons are still not known why players left. He is getting a lot of excuses.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X