Ucf 2/14 1:00 espn+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
    It would have also been interesting to see how Huggs would have handles his often out of control senior leader's drive to the basket. Sure that is his game and he is good at it, but his mind thinks faster then his eyes and the resulting quick charging fouls. I believe Huggs would have dealt with that by now and KW would be scoring even more. I also wonder about the help defense which led to too man wide open shots. They seem to be reacting instead of staying in their space or realizing they have to get back. It was s till a win, but I am a bearcat fan and I am used to the last 30 ears and the late 50s &early 60's/; Where have you gone Fritz Meyer Michael Horton and Eric Hicks.
    It sounds like you've been around awhile. I started following during Oscar's senior year, and will never forget the 2 championships, and the heartbreak of the try for the third. To this day, I wonder what it would have meant....Alcindor maybe??

How good would this team be with Lloyd Batts? I doubt many on here would remember him.
    Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 02-15-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

It sounds like you've been around awhile. I started following during Oscar's senior year, and will never forget the 2 championships, and the heartbreak of the try for the third. To this day, I wonder what it would have meant....Alcindor maybe??

How good would this team be with Lloyd Batts? I doubt many on here would remember him.
      My first UC game was the big O and Dave Tenwick. I was upset when George Smith left and then we got Ed Jucker. As a kid with Thacker and Yates I thought that the other team was not allowed to bring the ball up past the half court line. They would have had it taken away. Then Bonham from the corner. I remember Lloyd. I liked Roger McClendon too. He still holds the 3 point shooting percentage, I looked at the rosters of Huggins teams. They were packed with players and many well developed players. You said imagine what they would be with Llyod, Heck I would like to have Jackson Julson or Bobby Brannen. They were not the stars on their teams, but what a difference they would make with this team. Heck suit up Robert Miller or Herb Jones and see a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

My first UC game was the big O and Dave Tenwick. I was upset when George Smith left and then we got Ed Jucker. As a kid with Thacker and Yates I thought that the other team was not allowed to bring the ball up past the half court line. They would have had it taken away. Then Bonham from the corner. I remember Lloyd. I liked Roger McClendon too. He still holds the 3 point shooting percentage, I looked at the rosters of Huggins teams. They were packed with players and many well developed players. You said imagine what they would be with Llyod, Heck I would like to have Jackson Julson or Bobby Brannen. They were not the stars on their teams, but what a difference they would make with this team. Heck suit up Robert Miller or Herb Jones and see a difference.
        I played in a 6'2" and under league against Carl Bouldin and Steve Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

I was at the Armory as Lloyd Batts joined the 1000 point club.

Comment

Huggins has priority 1 and it's defense. Whether it was KW or any other player that's what will get you on the bench on his team's first and foremost. He's always put the guys out there who defend regardless of offensive capabilities or performance. A big reason we're on a win streak is the defense has been much better since they came back from the hiatus. Huggins has turned as many players over as any coach in college bball the past 4 or 5 years including most of his team from a couple years ago when he had a losing season. The reason his biggest recruit in a long time left early this season and i headed to Ky is because he didn't work on the defensive end. Huggins accepts fouls if you hustle, but if you do not guard it's another story. We lost to Ucf down there as we got in a track meet with them and left to many guys open. We did a much better job finding guys Sunday and at least contested shots. There is nobody in college bball who doesn't give up open 3's. Question is if the other team is skilled enough to knock them down at something above 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Huggins has priority 1 and it's defense. Whether it was KW or any other player that's what will get you on the bench on his team's first and foremost. He's always put the guys out there who defend regardless of offensive capabilities or performance. A big reason we're on a win streak is the defense has been much better since they came back from the hiatus. Huggins has turned as many players over as any coach in college bball the past 4 or 5 years including most of his team from a couple years ago when he had a losing season. The reason his biggest recruit in a long time left early this season and i headed to Ky is because he didn't work on the defensive end. Huggins accepts fouls if you hustle, but if you do not guard it's another story. We lost to Ucf down there as we got in a track meet with them and left to many guys open. We did a much better job finding guys Sunday and at least contested shots. There is nobody in college bball who doesn't give up open 3's. Question is if the other team is skilled enough to knock them down at something above 25%.
              Yes we know about Huggs and D, Do you remember though after two out of control shots by Martin, Huggs kicked him out of the game. This is a fact as Huggs was pissed. I remember Martin taking off his jersey top and throwing it on the floor. I didn't know what Huggs said in the locker room, but the shot selection improved. The open 3's was bad rotation time and time again. They are slow mentally on defense and it shows in the physical. I am talking about the UC Coach Huggs and not the WVU one who is older. He loved d, but he didn't tolerate crazy jack them up shots as Martin did that day. I believe he sent a message( kicking him out in the middle of game) that few coaches have the guts too. He had a good team and he knew it and wanted to get the best out of them. The reason I see that slowness is because I watched the Jucker and Huggs coached teams. Hustle with know how.

Comment

I have been out of town for 5 days and just returned to catch up on my forum reading. Man do I have a headache. Mostly I see emotional knee jerk overreactions and analysis without consideration for so many extenuating circumstances. Cleary at this point I have concluded that Zack Harvey is Leo's son or grandson (sorry Leo I don't know how old you are)!
                What I do know is we are 3-0 in the last week. Thank God we haven't been losing or we would have had even more guys dip into their memory banks and ask for the reincarnation of past Bearcats to bail us out.
                Playing time is 80% determined by things we as fans don't have the opportunity to see. Its not solely a decision on what the player does in very limited minutes on the floor, nor is it a popularity contest. These guys are coming off Covid and we have no idea if they have been healthy for 2 weeks or 2 days. We have no idea what their energy level or stamina is. Mostly we have not been at practice to see who is earning playing time. Playing time is basically a coach's best leverage to get a players attention. They may not be following the script, playing defense, giving maximum effort, having an attitude, late for practice, or many other things. They may be skipping classes, although that's less likely with todays virtual option.
                Bottom line is, we are paying Coach big bucks to sort through this. I am sure he is more capable of making informed decisions for this team, than we are of making emotional ones. Stop the bitchin about W's, get behind this group and lets see if they can turn things around. Down the road if Coach turns out to not be the guy, I will jump on board with you. Its premature to be so critical especially under these circumstances. Have you seen Dukes or UK's record, or many others who are underachieving? It happens to everyone. How they fight through it is what makes or breaks a coach and his players. How loyal their fan base stays and how positive they try to be says tons about their program. Why are we so fickle all the time? If we are 10-0 we think we should be rated #1 in the country (probably wrong). If we are 5-7 we think we suck and the coach should be fired and all the wrong guys are playing. Hows does a coach get so stupid in just 1 year?? Remember its supposed to be about the name on the front of the jersey not the back. Root for the team and not the individuals. Surely you can root for your favorite guys but to use that as an argument all the time when discussing their playing time is just not rational. Coach needs to win and he is going to award minutes to those who can get that done.

Comment

Huggins didn't kick him out/off the bench in that game. Martin was ticked off at Huggins because he was all over him for not rebounding the basketball and boxing out his man. Martin just got up took his shirt off and left and headed to the locker room. He was sick of listening to Huggins in general. Huggins talked him into staying at halftime as Martin was on his way out. I was sitting right behind it ,and Huggins was on him the entire half and had been the previous home game as well. A good summary of the event is in this article link below. He's admitted on quite a few occasions if he had known Huggins personality he would never have came to Cincy.

A lot of fans and the announcers thought Huggins tossed him off the bench, but Martin got up and just quit. It was the result of him riding him over quite a few games, and he just wasn't going to deal with him anymore. Not the first player to quit on Huggins. Huggins wised up and talked him back as he sorely needed him as those teams had limited depth at best.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virgin...l-all-his-own/
                  Last edited by coach; 02-16-2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                    Huggins didn't kick him out/off the bench in that game. Martin was ticked off at Huggins because he was all over him for not rebounding the basketball and boxing out his man. Martin just got up took his shirt off and left and headed to the locker room. He was sick of listening to Huggins in general. Huggins talked him into staying at halftime as Martin was on his way out. I was sitting right behind it ,and Huggins was on him the entire half and had been the previous home game as well. A good summary of the event is in this article link below. He's admitted on quite a few occasions if he had known Huggins personality he would never have came to Cincy.

A lot of fans and the announcers thought Huggins tossed him off the bench, but Martin got up and just quit. It was the result of him riding him over quite a few games, and he just wasn't going to deal with him anymore. Not the first player to quit on Huggins. Huggins wised up and talked him back as he sorely needed him as those teams had limited depth at best.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virgin...l-all-his-own/

Great post and a wonderful link and story therein. Erik Martin was one of my favorite players. As an aside, this quality of this forum is simply outstanding. Thanks to all the heavy hitters and the admins..

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X