No announcement yet.

Wichita St 1/10 4:30 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just brutal to watch. Not much good to say and the negatives are just too numerous to itemize.
    I will say, because he's getting beat to death on here, that Vogt (deficiencies noted) is giving great effort trying to play his way into contributing.

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
      We lost this game when Harvey started the 2nd half on the bench.
      We lost this game around the 9 minute mark when Dejulius and Williams both turned it over twice each...all leading to points for WSU! It’s quite unreal how they just GIvE the ball away.

Comment

Outplayed, out finessed, intimidated throughout and out defended. An ugly ugly loss!

Comment

Neither team was good at anything, we fouled too much

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

We lost this game around the 9 minute mark when Dejulius and Williams both turned it over twice each...all leading to points for WSU! It’s quite unreal how they just GIvE the ball away.
            WSU blew the game open in the second half, while Eason was sitting on the bench with only 3 fouls. Why did he keep Tari on the bench so long? Why didn't he start Harvey for the second half? How long will he accept selfish play from upperclassmen? How long will the coach put up with lack of effort on defense?

It's been a long time since this team was this bad. It's time for young players to play. Start Harvey, Davenport, Eason, DeJulius, and Adams-Woods. Get Madsen involved. Let the young guys play and get experience for next year. Then find a legit big man somewhere, because Vogt will be gone.
            Last edited by longtimefan; 01-10-2021, 08:01 PM.
            ESPN Sucks

Comment

Yeah, UC needs some muscle underneath. We can’t clog the lane because we’re fairly light and get overpowered too often. Or, we’re simply blown by or lose our mark. This defense is just silly-it’s hard to believe how many easy layups we give up. I’m just really lost with Brannen’s approach-Tari sat so long with 3, Harvey doesn’t start or play enough. We’re inching toward mid season and largely performing the same. Tough times indeed

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

WSU blew the game open in the second half, while Eason was sitting on the bench with only 3 fouls. Why did he keep Tari on the bench so long? Why didn't he start Harvey for the second half? How long will he accept selfish play from upperclassmen? How long will the coach put up with lack of effort on defense?

It's been a long time since this team was this bad. It's time for young players to play. Start Harvey, Davenport, Eason, DeJulius, and Adams-Woods. Get Madsen involved. Let the young guys play and get experience for next year. Then find a legit big man somewhere, because Vogt will be gone.
                Those guys ARE playing!! So it sounds like you are saying just don't play KW or Vogt??
                Tari can't play 40 minutes.
                Harvey is such a tweener size wise. He plays small for a forward, doesn't go up strong, and generally is giving up several inches.Hes tough to play at guard because his ball handling is so loose and prone to turnovers. He has a flair for making plays so you need to find him minutes but it just doesn't look like we have figured out good combinations yet. If you play him with two small guards, plus no center, we redefine small ball. Noone is consistent and can be counted on. Tonight Davenport disappeared and Dou looked lost. Instead of the ball movement that generated good looks from 3 like SMU game, today we were back to jacking up bad 3's.
                The refs were not helpful and we were getting ticky tacked to death and not much the other way.
                Madsen needs to get his chance. The little hes played has been very encouraging and he looks calm and ready to contribute. He appears to be a great teammate and very encouraging to the guys.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

You’re not wrong. But the Bearcats were winning at this 9 minute mark. That’s halfway thru the second half. Then those 4 straight TOs - 2 from DD and 2 from KW. That’s when WSU blew it open.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Those guys ARE playing!! So it sounds like you are saying just don't play KW or Vogt??
                    Tari can't play 40 minutes.
                    Harvey is such a tweener size wise. He plays small for a forward, doesn't go up strong, and generally is giving up several inches.Hes tough to play at guard because his ball handling is so loose and prone to turnovers. He has a flair for making plays so you need to find him minutes but it just doesn't look like we have figured out good combinations yet. If you play him with two small guards, plus no center, we redefine small ball. Noone is consistent and can be counted on. Tonight Davenport disappeared and Dou looked lost. Instead of the ball movement that generated good looks from 3 like SMU game, today we were back to jacking up bad 3's.
                    The refs were not helpful and we were getting ticky tacked to death and not much the other way.
                    Madsen needs to get his chance. The little hes played has been very encouraging and he looks calm and ready to contribute. He appears to be a great teammate and very encouraging to the guys.
                    Harvey is not a tweener. He’s a 6’5” 2-guard. Madsen is 6’3”. He looks like he needs to lose weight. Makes sense because he hasn’t been practicing. Coach B said they don’t run sets. He says they can’t handle it. Just a bunch of selfish people freelancing.
                    My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

I played college basketball. Zach is a solid defender. I don’t know what you’re looking at.
                      Yeah? Details please

Comment

Chris Vogt has been getting a lot of focus here, in my opinion Keith Williams lack of ability to be a senior leader and quote unquote the man has been a major detriment to the ability for a young team to be successful. tonight he made bad decisions on drives his passes led to numerous turnovers and bad fouls and miss free throws again from him is inexcusable. I've always liked them as a player and what he's contributed but we really needed him this year and so far he's not produced

Comment

Originally posted by Black and Red Attack View Post
                          Chris Vogt has been getting a lot of focus here, in my opinion Keith Williams lack of ability to be a senior leader and quote unquote the man has been a major detriment to the ability for a young team to be successful. tonight he made bad decisions on drives his passes led to numerous turnovers and bad fouls and miss free throws again from him is inexcusable. I've always liked them as a player and what he's contributed but we really needed him this year and so far he's not produced
                          I agree. I think Keith is a bigger problem this year than Vogt. He was 4 of 10 last night again. I can't find +/- stats. It would be interesting to see who has had the most positive time in the game.

Comment

To paraphrase : It's the defense, stupid!

I mean honestly, regardless of the other things discussed in this thread, I can't remember the last time I saw a Bearcat team play defense this poorly. They don't talk on defense it seems like and don't switch properly. I saw that happen a number of times yesterday where players didn't communicate on screens well and ended up leaving someone wide open for a shot or drive because they both took the same guy. Am I the only one seeing that?

I'm not even coming from a historical perspective on this. This is not trademark Bearcat defense for sure, but It's barely defense at all. Last night was something different though because if we touched anyone it was a foul. However, this has been a problem all year even in games we've won. I'm willing to accept the young guys excuse to a point and I wonder if the lack of a clear lineup and substitution pattern is part of the issue. You've got issues with people who are slow of foot or people who are playing a different level of defense than others. Some of this is ok, You need guys like Keith and Dou teaching some toughness out there but Keith has got to know if he's going to be all hands 20-30 ft from the hoop, he's going to pick up fouls. Part is this issue might be that his defense is an outlier on the team and sticks out like a sore thumbs to the refs.

Playing 94 feet of defense is a goal but right now we need to fix half court D. I watched several Bearcats just "ole' " their man last night.

Last edited by Lobot; 01-11-2021, 10:30 AM.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Box Score:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401264269

Also, wanted to mention that outside of defense and fouls , Chris Vogt had a pretty positive impact for the 9 minutes he was out there. Picked up 6 rebounds and scored 7 pts
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Black and Red Attack View Post
                                This x 100!!!! Spot on

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X