No announcement yet.

Smu 1/7 7:00 espnu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eason more closely resembles Kenyon Martin, or even Trey Scott in build, skill, and athleticism. Clark was much more skilled in the low post and not at athletic. Not as long, but stronger.

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

I have no idea whether it was line-ups, rotations, Mustang D or whatever, but we shot 43.5% from 3. On 23 attempts if we shoot our year to date 28% that's approximately 7 makes, even rounding up and giving the benefit of doubt. We made 10, take away the 9 point difference and we lose by 2. I doubt we're going to shoot 43+% from 3 for the rest of the season - hence we better figure out how to play better offense and defense in order to continue winning. That's on Brannen and the coaching staff. Don't want to take anything away from last night's win, it was great, but I'm just not sure we can rely on almost 45% 3 point shooting for the remainder of the season.
    My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
      Eason more closely resembles Kenyon Martin, or even Trey Scott in build, skill, and athleticism. Clark was much more skilled in the low post and not at athletic. Not as long, but stronger.

Clark was definitely more skilled in the low post, and a better rebounder ... The numbers on rebounding are close with Eason playing less minutes, But?? Clark had a lot more talented players around him...

Comment

So.. here's a question... there was a lot of talk about playing "small ball" last night. Other than keeping Vogt on the bench the majority of the game.. did anyone really see a coach-initiated change in playing style ?

Comment

I saw more penetration as the post unclogged which led to open kickouts which led to improved 3 point shooting.
          I also saw more easy fast break baskets and much more effective pressing.
          Our back end defense on the press got a little better during the game but we were still not rotating back fast enough and gave up too many easy layups.
          The new guys offer improved offense but still learning the defense.

I will say Vogt had 2 nice contests that led to misses and rebounds for us on the weak side so I would keep him in the rotation with his role varying depending on the opponent.
          Overall our current talent flourishes better in full court and higher speed and really bogs down in the 1/2 court and trying to run things through the post.

So in answer to your question, I think what you saw was better implementation of coaches preferred style and tempo.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
            So.. here's a question... there was a lot of talk about playing "small ball" last night. Other than keeping Vogt on the bench the majority of the game.. did anyone really see a coach-initiated change in playing style ?
            I

I think we benefitted indirectly from having the floor spread because they did not sag to hang on Vogt. I think it helped somewhat accidently as the scouting report on us is clearly to let us shoot the 3. If we make 10 every game our issues will be solved. Big if right now. However, that would then in turn likely get Vogt going as he's not going to see all the congestion he's used to this year. All that said, i think we surprised them, but i do not think Smu is a very good defensive team to begin with. I think they average over 80 a game, so although we did give up some easy buckets, our overall defensive effort was pretty good. For the season our overall scoring defense has not been bad. Teams aren't running away from us.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post

On the broadcast during last nights game it was shared that all of the cats losses were by three pts or less with the exception of one and that was to a ranked team and with that loss many sensed the sky began falling. Weve been in every game so far but we' re not used to seeing the good guys being pushed around, used to being stingy around the rim, and getting second and even three or four shots to score as a result of solid rebounding. When all of these arent going our way all of a sudden the problem is with the style of play or the coach cant X or O correctly. They played the same style as they have every other game thus far but the difference is they have began to understand their individual roles last night. The young guys are starting to see the light or the game is beginning to slow down for them whatever cliche you want to use. Bottom line The players are starting to know what the coaches are trying to teach them.

Comment

There were 3 things i saw last night that signaled progess or some movement in the right direction. First, Eason finished or attempted to finish with authority at the basket. Earlier in the year, not so much. 2. ZH is now comfortable creating offense and not worried about missing shots. Last year, not so much. 3. Mason Madsen looks physically big enough and physical enough to hold his own. I think he can be a big asset to this program as he looks to have the coach mentality. Very blue collar player, but in his short time in there he looked comfortable and never hesitated at all to knock that shot down. I hope we get to see Lahkin at some point this season to get a better feel is he can contribute next year.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X