Georgia 12/19 8:00 SECN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

I disagree my friend, it's falling, and it's going to get a lot worse.....
    Hate to hear this. I'm not there yet...but it won't take much more.
    Cory Huffman
    Cin City

Comment

Originally posted by loshow22 View Post

Hate to hear this. I'm not there yet...but it won't take much more.
      I'm no basketball coach so I really don't know the answer to these 2 questions, and if there are those out there that do I'd appreciate their input:

1. With the personnel on hand how do you fix the rebounding problem? If that doesn't get fixed you are going to be hammered all year by second chance points.

2. How do you get the guards to stay in front of their opposite numbers so that the games don't look like a layup line for our opponents; and the second half of that situation is where do you find someone on the interior who can act as a rim protector?

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

I'm no basketball coach so I really don't know the answer to these 2 questions, and if there are those out there that do I'd appreciate their input:

1. With the personnel on hand how do you fix the rebounding problem? If that doesn't get fixed you are going to be hammered all year by second chance points.

2. How do you get the guards to stay in front of their opposite numbers so that the games don't look like a layup line for our opponents; and the second half of that situation is where do you find someone on the interior who can act as a rim protector?
        Just boxing out your man would greatly improve our rebounding. I also am curious how many charging calls have been made against us compared to how many our team has taken. These are both coaching issues in my opinion.

Comment

Forgive me for not reading any of the other posts above. A week or two ago (probably after Furman win), I handpicked several encouraging individual stats. Today -- and while I am going to remain optimistic -- here are some discouraging statistics:

- Keith: Only 24.8 minutes per game; 5/22 from three; 20/33 FT
          - David: 5/25 from three; 9/10 FT (that is a positive # but I highlight because he has not gotten to the line since Furman)
          - MIka: 17/51 FG; 4/18 from three
          - Chris: 3/14 FT (21.4% !); only 4.5 rebounds per game; 4th on the team in defensive rebounds despite being a 7-footer
          - Tari: 4/8 FT (hard to knock this kid - appreciate his play so far)
          - Rapolas: 4/15 FG; 2 assists but 15 turnovers
          - Zach: 6/19 FG; 2/10 from three
          - Mike: 4/13 FG; 0/4 from three
          - Gabe: 12 minutes (despite any flaws, defensively or otherwise, might as well give him a shot)

Comment

The fact that players can not stay in front of the man they are defending is not a new problem. This goes back to at least Cronin’s coaching days, if not earlier. The problem is UC always had a fall back rim protector behind the perimeter defenders. Not the case with flat-footed Vogt and Ivanauskas. Without an athlete to protect the rim, UC will continue to struggle stopping dribble drives to the basket.

Comment

I said on the board after the first game and got hammered, but it hasn't changed. This is the Mick Cronin offense. They throw it around the wing and take desperate 3's. The challenge as everyone mentions, is in the past we out-physicalled, out-rebounded and out-defensed everyone. This team is extremely soft and can't score. That's a bad combination.

I thought the Brannen style was full-court defense and an up-tempo offense. It doesn't seem like we are playing his style, but is that because we don't have the right players skill wise or they just don't get it yet due to a lack of practice time with Covid?

Comment

My daily routine is to check out this blog and see what others think of what I like to call my Bearcats. I would like to add a couple things I see and think need fixed immediately.

1- defense and especially man to man defense. Unless u have athletes at all positions and someone down low to control the paint and weak side rebound and shot block, then we dont need to play 99% man to man because we dont have the athleticism down low and any time that we play against a quick guard we will be destroyed repeatedly, Cronin who I was a fan of( basically anyone with UC ties I love) was a master at hiding certain players who were not the most defensive minded or capable. Such as caupain and or Sean Kilpatrick. Defensive rotations and help never seemed to get as deeply into trouble when playing a man/ zone. It truly doesn't look like this years cats have been shown anything defensively, however jumping out of man and playing zone a majority of the game vs not so good 3pt teams will help. This would of helped tremendously vs Georgia who wasnt a good 3pt shooting team but killed us penetrating deep and basically laying it up all game. I dont hate coach but one on one guarding no matter who the defender is going to get beat off the dribble. Coach has to stop letting the bigs get out of position by trying to roll out to defend someone who just blew by their man, we are chasing teams and players vs just keeping the ball in front of them. When a big with such slow rotations tries to help a beaten guard, this allows a lot of offensive rebounds because they are now out of position. Now our full court press has seemed to work wonders but it's only used when UC is down 20 pts with 5 minutes to play.
                rebounding- covered in the defensive portion, I think a lot of our problems is the players being out of position by helping a teammate who was beat in the open floor by trying to play man to man. I'm not a huge fan of the 1-3-1 but packing it in vs not so great 3pt teams will help the lay up line defense that's played now. Because of the not so great rebounding stats, I believe it's the perfect time to play 4 guards and them bring vogt off the bench as a 6the man. However I do believe we need to play offensively through vogt when he is in and playing, not using his height advantage and only allowing him to get out of position defensively is killing his confidence. Rap on the other hand should be playing 2 minutes a game, he doesn't offer much either way.
                . Cincinnati needs to right the ship pretty quickly and its time to try something different. I know that's a lot for my first post and it's kinda grabbing pieces from others posts but it is the truth. This is not bearcat basketball, this is mid major ball and we dont have the shooters to play this way..

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X