No announcement yet.

Xavier 12/6 3:00 ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RedDog - I agree with your assessment. I think my frustration is solely related to the fact that once again we have to take a back seat to X and listen to Travis Steele crow about how great his team is. I am so tired of the Bearcats choking in this game. It sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Perhaps your math is a bit flawed. Most of those misses down the stretch were the front end of one and ones. Meaning additional free throws would have made the difference a lot closer.
      Late, on 4 consecutive trips to the line we went - missed the front end of 1+1;missed the front end of 1+1; missed 1 of 2; missed both of 2. So of 8 possible points we got 1. During crunch time of a close game you just can't do that and expect to win.

Comment

Some of the negative commentary is similar to the conversations during the first three weeks of the football season. It turned around in a hurry. That's an experienced squad that has played together for multiple years. I'm not saying this basketball team is going to do a 180 right away, as it will be harder to do with such a roster turnover trying to mesh after a truncated preseason. Our negative feelings are exacerbated in the wake of losing to our biggest rival.

In his postgame comments, Brannen said that he doesn't know what he has with this team at this point. Losing the early games means it will take longer for him to determine the rotations. This needs to happen, though, at an accelerated pace. After Furman come the Vols (#21 in KenPom).

Comment

That was some pretty poor defense, both the missed assignments and the bad fouls that gave XU 10 more
          points at the line than UC had. I swear about half
          the time on offense I thought Cronin was still our coach-pass around the arc a bunch and jack up a very fundamentally bad 3. For me last year I worried that Keith wasn’t a player to carry a team-he just disappears for stretches and doesn’t have that clutch mentality. I’m kind of over Vogt-he looks skinnier than last year which seems impossible but in any event struggles against better teams and gets pushed around a lot by players that weigh 30-40 lbs less than he does. Just play Eason and Saunders Jr a ton, take some lumps with their freshman mistakes and get some presence on the court. Dou seems like he’s regressed from last year to me.

Comment

We didn't lose that game because our offense was bad. The offense was right there with X except we missed 4 critical ft's including 2 front end of 1/1's which X made down the stretch. As far as getting pushed around X had zero offensive rebounds, and our big kids outscored theirs in the paint. The issue is right now guarding perimeter players and guards. This concept of "rim protectors", and believing one guy can clean up all defensive lapses is great against teams which have big kids who can't shoot. However, the trend is to put big kids outside for obvious reasons. We did it with Rap, and you saw X do it with Freemantle and Carter. You can't leave these guys alone. The alternative is to use a zone, but good luck with that as it will concede the 3 in most instances. You can't miss ft's down the stretch against teams of similar makeup. We saw this last year.

We're likely going to see the same situaion tomorrow against Furman. I think they're better offensively than X as far as shooting the ball. We'll see if it travels.

Comment

Agreeing with coach thats why I believe keeping Saunders in to fluster scrubbs would have helped. Unfortunately he had to come out to get scorers back in the game but Brannen couldnt find anyone who could hit from the outside. He tried Rap several times but he only hit one. If Im thinking correctly at one point Freemantle was guarded by MAW for awhile and was held in check. Our defense is not where it should be at the second game of the season.

Comment

Look we should have scored north of 70 points in the game Sunday with any kind of shooting effort from KW at the line and in the field. I hate to go all Jarron Cumberland last year on us after two games, but at least it's fixable. Through two games our early Nba audition is shooting 12.5% from 3, 1/8 and 57% from the ft line including several critical misses Sunday in a one possession ball game. You aren't going to win games against teams with similar talent if he plays that way. It will be 2019 all over again. I don't like to harp on guys individually and KW is a good guy. However, i always scratch my head when guys think they can come out early and they are not fundamentally sound particularly at 6'5 or so. Looks at Sk, kid improved to become a knock down shooter and i believe a mide 80's ft shooter if not better. He struggled to get to the league. You have to know where you're at. Ft's are not optional at that level. That wasn't an 8 pt game Sunday. It turned into it at the end because of not being able to convert. I'm ok with guys like MAW, DD shooting 3's as i believe they are pretty good perimeter shooters. Honestly, i'll also take my chances with Rap as he's been pretty good at times in his career. KW is a 29% career 3 pt shooter. He can't be launching them often. It's not his game. Vogt should get more touches. I about threw up on the second possession when KW telegraphed a pass into double coverage to Vogt which was easily intercepted. Just have to play much, much smarter. Right now, Davenport is our highest % perimeter shooter. That says a lot.
                Last edited by coach; 12-08-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

As its been said multiple times , its only the second game. Even Brannen has said hes still evaluating whis going to be who in the rotation. The biggest thing I seen in this game is with all the talk of this being KWs team im sensing that Dejulius is trying to find that balance of being the floor general without stepping on K W's toes. There was one incident where KW was going to the free throw line involving He and Dejulius I may be making assumptions here and I am not repeat NOT. sauing that there are feelings between the two. But I can see where Dejulius is being apprehensive , especially as its still early at not creating any dissention on the team. He was brought here to be the guy to run this offense.

Comment

The Muskies just blew a 20-point first-half lead, then fell in OT to Butler, 70-69. An X player committed a dumb reach-in foul at :03.7 and a Bulldog guard hit both ends of the one-and-one.

X are toast.

Comment

Darn it! 😉😉

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                        The Muskies just blew a 20-point first-half lead, then fell in OT to Butler, 70-69. An X player committed a dumb reach-in foul at :03.7 and a Bulldog guard hit both ends of the one-and-one.

X are toast.
                        It almost seemed like he was trying to foul him. Bad, bad loss.

Comment

That made my evening!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                            That made my evening!
                            Read posts on http://www.xavierhoops.com/ and it might make your morning/day!

(It's funny how X fans HATE Jason Carter. Carter was actually "rated" one of the top transfers a couple years ago by ESPN. Just because you did well at Ohio U in the respectable MAC, doesn't mean you'll be effective at the next tier up).

Comment

Espn just reporting that Duke will likely miss the big dance as a result of having to bow out of their conference tourney. Positive Covid tests are blamed. They needed to win a few games to be considered. First time since 1996 that Duke has failed to appear in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X