Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet on Brannen buy I am concerned about the "new guys" and "virus/practice" excuses. Many of the challenges this year are the same as other programs are dealing with. He has to coach them up and stop with the excuses.

Comment

What's the status of Diarra and why isn't he receiving significant time? in which I honestly believe he has earned as well as a starting role. Much of this young inexperienced play has to do with not having the right personal in the game that compliments each other. My strong belief is that the record would be different if Diarra had started the season along with Williams and Vogt. The three most experienced besides maybe Mika Adams Woods. Diarra played along side Scott in big games and provided the adequate athleticism needed defensively, offensively and on the boards which led to conference and tournament championships.
      Last edited by RecNizeRealBCat; 01-18-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post

I'll just keep asking...
        Well Nick Van Excel was being recommended by bearcat alum and when he was not chosen it created a divide as to the decision to hire Coach Brannen. I'm starting to believe his success last year was mainly on account of the Seniors taking control. Even the game against Ohio State, it seemed he didn't know who the next man up was, while Cumberland sat with injury. Not sure if he's utilizing Williams ability correctly even after being witness to games last year in which he had to take control for UC to win. Coach Brennan seems too anxious to put his recruits in to establish his regime than winning.

Comment

Originally posted by RecNizeRealBCat View Post
          What's the status of Diarra and why isn't he receiving significant time? in which I honestly believe he has earned as well as a starting role. Much of this young inexperienced play has to do with not having the right personal in the game that compliments each other. My strong belief is that the record would be different if Diarra had started the season along with Williams and Vogt. The three most experienced besides maybe Mika Adams Woods. Diarra played along side Scott in big games and provided the adequate athleticism needed defensively, offensively and on the boards which led to conference and tournament championships.
          Your joking right? He's averaged almost two and a half fouls in a little over 8 minutes played. He first has to figure out a way to stay on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Your joking right? He's averaged almost two and a half fouls in a little over 8 minutes played. He first has to figure out a way to stay on the court.
            Not joking at all. Most players who don't play significant minutes are going to foul adjusting to the pace. If that's the only reason he shouldn't start or get significant minutes your reaching. The guy played most of the end of last year along side Scott when Vogt couldn't cut it.

Comment

Diarra played along side Scott in big games and provided the adequate athleticism needed defensively, offensively and on the boards which led to conference and tournament championships.
              Lets break this down a little. Diarra only started getting meaningful minutes in last couple games of the season. Against WSU and Houston he had a total of Zero Rebounds and 1 BLK. He did average 5 points - as he hit a 3 in each of those games. Then the last 2 games were USF and Temple...not sure anyone refers to those as “big games”, but I’ll go along with that considering the context of closing out the conference. Yes he did play well in those minutes...but keep in context those two teams were in the bottom cellar of the conference last year.

I think we all were excited about Diarra’s potential this year. But let’s not make extreme expectations. The sample size is large enough over the past few years that he seems to be what his stats say he is. He is very disruptive at the top of the 1-3-1 D...but he gets killed in the paint. He has a block every now and then...which gets people excited and perhaps they overlook how soft he is in the paint. He ain’t terrible, but I don’t see a lot evidence to call him very good either.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Lets break this down a little. Diarra only started getting meaningful minutes in last couple games of the season. Against WSU and Houston he had a total of Zero Rebounds and 1 BLK. He did average 5 points - as he hit a 3 in each of those games. Then the last 2 games were USF and Temple...not sure anyone refers to those as “big games”, but I’ll go along with that considering the context of closing out the conference. Yes he did play well in those minutes...but keep in context those two teams were in the bottom cellar of the conference last year.

I think we all were excited about Diarra’s potential this year. But let’s not make extreme expectations. The sample size is large enough over the past few years that he seems to be what his stats say he is. He is very disruptive at the top of the 1-3-1 D...but he gets killed in the paint. He has a block every now and then...which gets people excited and perhaps they overlook how soft he is in the paint. He ain’t terrible, but I don’t see a lot evidence to call him very good either.
                ​​​​​​Men lie woman lie numbers don't huh? If you watched those games last year you would of saw a big man who competed with the competition he was facing. Now you can run him down based off of the stats but that doesn't speak for his actual presence on an in the game. And for his, performance last year which helped secure a share of the conference title, he should of started this year. Which would have generated a better overall team chemistry and stable front line then having two mid major big men, a transfer and a sophomore along with Keith Williams. What I'm saying is he has played and been tested in games holding his own athletically, offensively and defensively better than what we saw starting this year and deserves a fair share of play.

Stats don't tell the full story and I watched the end of the year last Season and saw how Vogt was unable to stand up to the competition because he was either too slow or not athletically on par with the competition we faced which led to Diarra filling his shoes. The team didn't need a big time offensive player out of him, believe he knew his role. Which took this team this year games to figure out and are still searching. I stand on we'd be a better team if he (Diarra) started the season. Wake up and smell whats cooking, a blunder on the side of the coaching staff starting two big men who couldn't compete together against the talent we are facing in the AAC.

Comment

Stats don't tell the full story and I watched the end of the year last Season.
                  Well I guess since you watched the end of last season, we will throw out the actual stats and the context that his only two good games were against bottom feeders.

Comment

Well Nick Van Excel was being recommended by bearcat alum and when he was not chosen it created a divide as to the decision to hire Coach Brannen. I'm starting to believe his success last year was mainly on account of the Seniors taking control. Even the game against Ohio State, it seemed he didn't know who the next man up was, while Cumberland sat with injury. Not sure if he's utilizing Williams ability correctly even after being witness to games last year in which he had to take control for UC to win. Coach Brennan seems too anxious to put his recruits in to establish his regime than winning.
                    Welcome to the board. I love the enthusiasm. Just to check a couple of points. Nick Van Exel is not eligible to be the coach because he never graduated. He was never a candidate, nor can he be a candidate. There was no reason for the divide. I would love to have had him as a coach (I named myself after him...He was the Gangsta Hoopster back in the day), but that just wasn't possible.

I've also watched a lot of the games. You and I must be watching different games. Williams is just not getting it done. He has been put in plenty of positions to succeed, but he doesn't and that's on him. I love Diarra's enthusiasm, but to say he should be starting or getting more minutes is a stretch. You would have loved me playing. I had a lot of energy also, but I couldn't rebound or score at the college level either. He is a serviceable backup and I think that is his ceiling. I'm glad Brannen is playing his guys because I haven't seen anything from Vogt, Williams, or Diarra that tells me he should be doing anything different.

Comment

Originally posted by GangstaTakester View Post

Welcome to the board. I love the enthusiasm. Just to check a couple of points. Nick Van Exel is not eligible to be the coach because he never graduated. He was never a candidate, nor can he be a candidate. There was no reason for the divide. I would love to have had him as a coach (I named myself after him...He was the Gangsta Hoopster back in the day), but that just wasn't possible.

I've also watched a lot of the games. You and I must be watching different games. Williams is just not getting it done. He has been put in plenty of positions to succeed, but he doesn't and that's on him. I love Diarra's enthusiasm, but to say he should be starting or getting more minutes is a stretch. You would have loved me playing. I had a lot of energy also, but I couldn't rebound or score at the college level either. He is a serviceable backup and I think that is his ceiling. I'm glad Brannen is playing his guys because I haven't seen anything from Vogt, Williams, or Diarra that tells me he should be doing anything different.
                      To start Nick Van Excel was recommended by the basketball alum of UC basketball and I distinctly remember Kenyon Martin having something to say about the situation and pushing for his hire. Unless there's some difference between College and the NBA that I'm not aware, don't see any reason why Excel could not be a Head Coach just because he did not graduate from the University of Cincinnati. Especially since he's been a assistant in the NBA for some time.

Diarra is obviously the most athletically gifted forward/center that is on the team beside the freshman who does not have the big game experience that he does. Diarra would make up for the lack of quickness and leaping ability of Vogt the same way Scott had to the year before. A transfer from UConn compared to a transfer from Colgate and they both can shoot the 3 (not talking about Vogt). Coach Brennan is like a father starting his son over a player with better talent, which can cripple success.

Keith Williams is and always has been the future of the Program but carrying a inexperienced starting 5 has to be a burden. We've seen how he can take over a game last year and this year on multiple occasions when going for 15-20 pts by the 2nd half after spending most of the time on the bench for foul trouble. Foul trouble in most cases from picking up the slack of another on defense or over doing the fact he has to be the one to make things happen. Brannen should be jump starting his offense instead of acting as if there's another priority on the team. Davenport (good) inconsistent as well as Harvey.

Appreciate being on the forum. I've read up on in it since high school. Big time Bearcat Fan. Also anybody who didn't like Winning which is what Mick Cronin did is out his head. Comparing the start of Coach Cronin and Coach Brannen considering the conditions is absurd.
                      Last edited by RecNizeRealBCat; 01-19-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Well I guess since you watched the end of last season, we will throw out the actual stats and the context that his only two good games were against bottom feeders.
                        Bottom feeder or not we needed those games to have a share of the conference title. Also Temple has always been a difficult victory since I've been watching the Bearcats regardless of record. Read the book not the cover.

Comment

To start Nick Van Excel was recommended by the basketball alum of UC basketball and I distinctly remember Kenyon Martin having something to say about the situation and pushing for his hire. Unless there's some difference between College and the NBA that I'm not aware, don't see any reason why Excel could not be a Head Coach just because he did not graduate from the University of Cincinnati. Especially since he's been a assistant in the NBA for some time.

Diarra is obviously the most athletically gifted forward/center that is on the team beside the freshman who does not have the big game experience that he does. Diarra would make up for the lack of quickness and leaping ability of Vogt the same way Scott had to the year before. A transfer from UConn compared to a transfer from Colgate and they both can shoot the 3 (not talking about Vogt). Coach Brennan is like a father starting his son over a player with better talent, which can cripple success.

Keith Williams is and always has been the future of the Program but carrying a inexperienced starting 5 has to be a burden. We've seen how he can take over a game last year and this year on multiple occasions when going for 15-20 pts by the 2nd half after spending most of the time on the bench for foul trouble. Foul trouble in most cases from picking up the slack of another on defense or over doing the fact he has to be the one to make things happen. Brannen should be jump starting his offense instead of acting as if there's another priority on the team. Davenport (good) inconsistent as well as Harvey.

Appreciate being on the forum. I've read up on in it since high school. Big time Bearcat Fan. Also anybody who didn't like Winning which is what Mick Cronin did is out his head. Comparing the start of Coach Cronin and Coach Brannen considering the conditions is absurd.
                          I don't know if it is this way for every college, but at UC you must have a college degree to be a head coach. Van Exel does not/did not have a college degree so he was not eligible for the job (not a requirement in the NBA). That is what made him not a real candidate. I think UC actually would have like to have hired jim, but never gave it a look because of that.

Comment

I don't know if it is this way for every college, but at UC you must have a college degree to be a head coach. Van Exel does not/did not have a college degree so he was not eligible for the job (not a requirement in the NBA). That is what made him not a real candidate. I think UC actually would have like to have hired jim, but never gave it a look because of that.
                            I believe you are correct that Van Excel did nit graduate from UC but he later received a degree from somewhere. To coach at NCAA level a degree of some type is required. .Nick was an assistant coach at Texas Southern (2019-2020). That would require a college degree.

Comment

Still haven't found the information myself that you need a degree, apparently some schools you do others you don't like you said. Cant find UC requirements though. Having Nick against Penny would of been a big draw though, just saying. I'm down on Coach Brannen right now, really and truly. We're at the bottom of the conference and this isn't a rebuilding year.

Comment

I too think Diarra would be a good addition in the line up and deserves a chance to prove his worth. Just the sheer fact that the current line up is struggling to get any results warrants some kind of a change. The few minutes Diarra currently has on the floor isn't really giving him an opportunity to show what his true value is. I'd really like to see how he performs given 20 minutes a game for a few games in a row.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X