This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Brannen

Justin Williams has written an article on John Brannen and the situation with his father during last season. It's really good and worth the subscription to the Athletic if you don't already have one.

($) https://theathletic.com/2213184/2020...-on-the-brink/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Does anyone know the schedule for Brannen's radio show?

Comment

Good Question. There's nothing posted to the UC site. It's still 2019 acordsing to Go Bearcats
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here’s the schedule and details for the radio show.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2020/12/...ay-dec-10.aspx
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I'll ask it...

Is Brannen the right coach to lead the Bearcat program?

I would suggest the current evidence indicates he is not

Comment

I'm not sold on the fact that he isn't at this point. I've been doing this for a while and we went through similar growing pains trying to figure out if Cronin was the right guy. I don't think that the cupboard is bare like Cronin had but the roster has not turned over entirely and we've got guys on the floor that were stop gaps.

One thing to point out here. We as a fan base got sick of Cronin's offense. We ran Mick out and we asked for this. Give it some time to turn around. Cronin had several years before things started to really click for him. I think Brannen is owed the same. Impatience is not a virtue.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

[QUOTE=Lobot;n376894]I'm not sold on the fact that he isn't at this point. I've been doing this for a while and we went through similar growing pains trying to figure out if Cronin was the right guy. I don't think that the cupboard is bare like Cronin had but the roster has not turned over entirely and we've got guys on the floor that were stop gaps.

One thing to point out here. We as a fan base got sick of Cronin's offense. We ran Mick out and we asked for this. Give it some time to turn around. Cronin had several years before things started to really click for him. I think Brannen is owed the same. Impatience is not a virtue.[/QUOTE

Brent.... I was right their after the Nevada Melt Down in the Tourney a few years back, I had seen enough of Cronin style offense and something needed to change dramatically .. Cronin had growing pains because he was left with nothing when he took over the program and had to rebuild from the ground up.

Brannen is / was not in that situation and was left with good players to be successful his 1st season... He's had 4yrs with Vogt for example, what has he done tp correct his FT Shooting... If anything Vogt looks worse than he did his 1st year on the team... I do not question his recruiting abilities , but I question Brannen's ability identifying the right recruits for this Team / League to be competitive ... And I question his abilities making them better players... I do not feel this should be aloud to go on much longer...

Comment

I am starting to lean towards him not being the guy. I will give him the benefit of the doubt since his first two years has been during odd circumstances. It is true that Cronin inherited a mess but it seemed like his teams grew a little during his early years even though they didn't have the talent to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  I'm not sold on the fact that he isn't at this point. I've been doing this for a while and we went through similar growing pains trying to figure out if Cronin was the right guy. I don't think that the cupboard is bare like Cronin had but the roster has not turned over entirely and we've got guys on the floor that were stop gaps.

One thing to point out here. We as a fan base got sick of Cronin's offense. We ran Mick out and we asked for this. Give it some time to turn around. Cronin had several years before things started to really click for him. I think Brannen is owed the same. Impatience is not a virtue.
                  It's to early to tell. You can't run the offense they are running and shoot the ball this badly from the perimeter. I was reading on some other boards, and as of this am they are almost last in 3 pt shooting percentage. Obviously KW has had issues making ft's down the stretch which has hurt, but the bigger issue is where are MAW and DD shooting skills? I don't think you can ask the frosh to be big scorers, but neither of these two guards has ever shot the ball this poor in their college or high school careers with a decent sample of shots. You're not going to get anything inside if you can't start to hit some shots. I hope Mason Madsen gets some minutes to see if he can shoot the ball from the perimeter as i'd risk hiding him on defense just to see if it spreads and he can get some other guys going. You look at the stats and JD coming off the bench has as many 3's as MAW and DD combined which is a real head scratcher. Those two guys can't shoot 15 or 20% from 3 all year, or at least i hope not. They have to be able to give them more than one perimeter score a game between the two of them. As crazy and poor as they've shot the ball, a few makes by these guys are right now the difference between winning and losing. You can look at Cronin's teams which were never good perimeter scoring teams for the most parts, but this is way below them from a comparison perspective. It's almost unfathomable how bad they've shot it. At the end of the game yesterday, DD was left wide open to measure himself for a 3 which i believe would have given them the lead and he missed it. Says a lot in that situation the other team didn't even close on him.
                  Last edited by coach; 01-03-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

It's to early to tell. You can't run the offense they are running and shoot the ball this badly from the perimeter. I was reading on some other boards, and as of this am they are almost last in 3 pt shooting percentage. Obviously KW has had issues making ft's down the stretch which has hurt, but the bigger issue is where are MAW and DD shooting skills? I don't think you can ask the frosh to be big scorers, but neither of these two guards has ever shot the ball this poor in their college or high school careers with a decent sample of shots. You're not going to get anything inside if you can't start to hit some shots. I hope Mason Madsen gets some minutes to see if he can shoot the ball from the perimeter as i'd risk hiding him on defense just to see if it spreads and he can get some other guys going. You look at the stats and JD coming off the bench has as many 3's as MAW and DD combined which is a real head scratcher. Those two guys can't shoot 15 or 20% from 3 all year, or at least i hope not. They have to be able to give them more than one perimeter score a game between the two of them. As crazy and poor as they've shot the ball, a few makes by these guys are right now the difference between winning and losing. You can look at Cronin's teams which were never good perimeter scoring teams for the most parts, but this is way below them from a comparison perspective. It's almost unfathomable how bad they've shot it. At the end of the game yesterday, DD was left wide open to measure himself for a 3 which i believe would have given them the lead and he missed it. Says a lot in that situation the other team didn't even close on him.
                    One thing I'll say about this is that both MAW and Zach are passing up wide open shots on the perimeter. Not sure if it's a confidence thing or what.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

One thing I'll say about this is that both MAW and Zach are passing up wide open shots on the perimeter. Not sure if it's a confidence thing or what.
                      Zach is probably afraid if he misses a shot he'll get yanked from the game. It sure seems that way, I have to say. He can never get comfortable without constantly looking over his shoulder.

Comment

Harvey's minutes are definitely picking up as i think he's getting up near 20 per game in the last 5 or so. He missed a lot of the preseason practices with injuries. That said, with the composition of this team those two starting guards have got to give them a lot more offensively. Both of their shots actually look pretty good. They just can't get them to go down right now. You're not going to make them all, but an average high school guard can knock down 1 or 2 out of 10. MAW has one of the softest shots i've seen. They both have to keep firing.

Comment

If Brannen is the answer, what is the question?

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                            If Brannen is the answer, what is the question?
                            Who is the men’s basketball head coach for the University of Cincinnati, Alex?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
                            Last edited by London 'Cat; 01-04-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                              I'll ask it...

Is Brannen the right coach to lead the Bearcat program?

I would suggest the current evidence indicates he is not
                              I'll just keep asking...

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X