This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

Huggins has been aggressively advocating for Martin, as has Mick for Savino.
    My question is why would Huggins or Cronin have the universities best interest at heart as they both left harboring hard feelings towards the school. They may have their respective candidates career at the center of the recommendation. That's just MHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post

My question is why would Huggins or Cronin have the universities best interest at heart as they both left harboring hard feelings towards the school. They may have their respective candidates career at the center of the recommendation. That's just MHO.
      Bot Huggs and MC love their people and know that it is a step up and can be a good job and a quick turnaround. Distance does make the heart grow fonder and time does heal all wounds. Huggs saw that when he came back to honor Chuck. I am probably wrong, but what you said may cause an outsider to be considered though. I have liked EM since his playing days though.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

so it seems both MC and Huggs knew JB was gone. I don't think it was a secret to any but the supposed in the know media.
        The media can’t burn their access.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I honestly think Martin is the safest hire. One would think he is extremely hungry. Knows the style of play fans want to see. Can recruit. Will connect with Alumni, former players, and students. All he needs is a veteran assoc. HC and he would be very successful.

Comment

• I think Brannen got a raw deal - some players did support him - the truth is always somewhere in the middle - candidates will/should be very wary of our AD and his backstabbing ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat1996 View Post
              I honestly think Martin is the safest hire. One would think he is extremely hungry. Knows the style of play fans want to see. Can recruit. Will connect with Alumni, former players, and students. All he needs is a veteran assoc. HC and he would be very successful.
              I wish he had pursued a head coaching job at a midmajor. He’s in his 50’s and has never run a program.
              My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

The media can’t burn their access.
                Thus a shift from journalism to media.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't the behavior of Brannen and his lawyer kind of fit in with what the players were saying about him?
                  Exactly my take as well
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I'm glad they moved on from him regardless. I don't know how losing an entire recruiting class and being at odds iwth other players constantly is "not" of his doing. The program's in virtual shambles for another year or two any ways, take your time finding a new HC and get the right person this time, like the football team did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cliftonite View Post
                      I'm glad they moved on from him regardless. I don't know how losing an entire recruiting class and being at odds iwth other players constantly is "not" of his doing. The program's in virtual shambles for another year or two any ways, take your time finding a new HC and get the right person this time, like the football team did.
                      Bohn didn't' wait too long. He fired Tubbs on 12/4/16 and hired Fickell six days later. It's almost a certainty that Bohn knew who he'd target before pulling the trigger on TT.

Comment

• Regarding transfers: about 20-25% of Div.I Players are in the portal. Actually with 350 or so teams replacing, let's say 5 players a year, thats 1,750 a year, so 1,000 transfer players may be more than 50% of the current annual turnover. Transferees will find recruiting much the same as when they were in high school, if not more competitive. Am I missing something?

Comment

• I just read from CBS Sports that Nick Van Exel and Darrin Sorvino would both be good picks for UC basketball. What about hiring both of them? Van Exel can handle the office and Sorvino can handle the defense (spent some decent years with Mick Cronin). This is a partnership that may work. Sorvino as Head Coach and Van Exel as Associate Head Coach. Just a thought. Any comments?

Comment

• The last posting on the second line should read "Van Exel can handle the offense"

Comment

• Perhaps some higher ups were involved as the local paper suggested JC wanted a "higher profile" coach and then Pinto gave his public support to JC.
                              "I want to commend John Cunningham for his sound leadership and principled stewardship of our department of athletics," he said. "His character and integrity speak louder than words. Our student athletes could not have a more caring and capable leader advocating on their behalf. John has my full confidence in moving our programs forward to even greater heights."

It wasn't about covid, or the players as it seldom is. It is the business of big time sports entertainment, Winning big leads to more money, more prestige for the school and a higher enrollment. The firing satisfied the deep pockets and the UC administration. JC was a good boy and nothing more. I remember times as a young man with a new job having face value authority, I was told to fire several employees. It happens and led to my leaving.

Comment

• This whole season was a "sh*tshow" and it is tough to lay the lack of progress all at Brannen's feet. How many games did our players look really bad with basic basketball skills that they should have brought with them - unforced turnovers, poor free throw shooting and total lack of movement on both offense and defense. As far as personality clashes, that is going to happen when you try to instill discipline and attempt to build a team. These guys were all stars in high school and you can't have 12 starters. I think that was Cumberland's attitude problem - he was no longer the focus. Brannen was treated horribly by UC administration and i suspect dollars and big donors might have had something to do with it. A completely renovated facility that nobody will come to was scary.. Just wondering how long it will take to rebuild after this fiasco. Van Exel and Saviano might make an interesting team but this rebuild might be beyond them.

Also beware of statement of support by Pinto. How many times have we seen a statement of support followed by a firing. I've lost count. And I continue to be embarrassed by UC.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X