Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So......... given all of that.. where are you saying the problem is centered ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

You're assuming the situation was good before they got here. Re: basketball, it was not. The root cause of all this is not Brannen or Cunningham. Things have obviously gotten worse since they arrived and not better. I think we can blame John Brannen for that.

You'll notice none of this is going on within the other athletic programs as far as we know. If you consider that to be a fact, then Cunningham's not the problem?
      Are you saying the problem is unique to Men's basketball or UC men's BB? Please opine on theories. Is this part of the One and Done, head to NBA (or other Pro leagues) as quick as possible, along with the attitudes that arise from AAU ball - i.e. this affects all programs and may have been part of the problem at Wichita State? Or is this a UC strength and conditioning item, where our players get strong, lean, and bigger while also practicing so they can carry on a long tradition of UC strength success? Any other thoughts as to why this affects only men's BB? We really don't have a lot of continuity in the program with upperclassmen from Huggins showing Mick's recruits "the UC way" nor did we have much of that from Mick's upperclassmen showing JB's recruits "the UC way".

If Cunningham isn't the problem, and JB inherited it, but didn't couldn't fix it, there aren't many possibilities. This also puts a new spin on who is at fault and why JB is surprised/in the dark a bit.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
        No matter what happens, Brannen is going to be damaged goods. I was all for giving him another normal year and a few more quality transfers to see what he could do. Cunningham has royally screwed up this situation and should also be fired. If he didn't like what was going on, he should have offered a full buyout and a press release stating that the University and John Brannen have agreed to part company and good luck in his future endeavors. I'm embarrassed to be part of the UC family right now.
        Perhaps JC is just following what he has been directed to do. He is brand new and like JB seems not to have been able to handle players, JC might not be able to handle those around him. At least, not yet. Perhaps he will be a good boy, smooth some deep pockets and build something or change leagues. Then his next change will be changing jobs at a higher pay school. Who knows, but I doubt if this is just JC v, JB. I have been wrong many times, but if JC is wrong or doing this as a grudge, I am sure Pinto or some others would have stepped up and spoke. We have not seen that in public and in private, the investigation continues. That speaks as loud as Steve Logan's swishes.

Comment

• I have followed along throughout this debacle just like everyone else. However, I have one statement to make that is the real underlying problem to this whole situation. I cannot believe that JB has no idea as to what the problem is that has led to this investigation. First off, I was very supportive of the JB hire. However, I feel that in the last 2 seasons both teams have underperformed for most of the season. I do not feel as though the teams or players have progressed as they should overall. I have seen great improvements in Davenport. However, I think that kid is going to improve even if he was in a gym all by himself for the last 2 seasons. He has an incredible heart and is motivated to succeed.

I think that JB's lack of player development and team development are reasons enough for his removal. If you or I do not do our job to the liking of our boss for 2 years, are we going to have a job? A coach's job is to recruit players, improve players, and improve the program. I do not think JB has done this to anyone's expectations. I think at this time that JC is taking a lot of heat. However, I feel that this is a decision that he has little say in. I think he is the guy that is paid to be the AD and is at the forefront of this situation. We will never really hear who made this decision. In the end, I agree with the opinion that JB and JC will both eventually be relieved of their duties. Hopefully, this does not set the program back too far. I have expectations as an alum!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cincycats93 View Post
            I have followed along throughout this debacle just like everyone else. However, I have one statement to make that is the real underlying problem to this whole situation. I cannot believe that JB has no idea as to what the problem is that has led to this investigation. First off, I was very supportive of the JB hire. However, I feel that in the last 2 seasons both teams have underperformed for most of the season. I do not feel as though the teams or players have progressed as they should overall. I have seen great improvements in Davenport. However, I think that kid is going to improve even if he was in a gym all by himself for the last 2 seasons. He has an incredible heart and is motivated to succeed.

I think that JB's lack of player development and team development are reasons enough for his removal. If you or I do not do our job to the liking of our boss for 2 years, are we going to have a job? A coach's job is to recruit players, improve players, and improve the program. I do not think JB has done this to anyone's expectations. I think at this time that JC is taking a lot of heat. However, I feel that this is a decision that he has little say in. I think he is the guy that is paid to be the AD and is at the forefront of this situation. We will never really hear who made this decision. In the end, I agree with the opinion that JB and JC will both eventually be relieved of their duties. Hopefully, this does not set the program back too far. I have expectations as an alum!
            I think JC is doing what he is told. You may be right as the powers that be may be hard to deal with. Something may just be out of control and not just the BB team. Things sure can change on a whim.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Are you saying the problem is unique to Men's basketball or UC men's BB? Please opine on theories. Is this part of the One and Done, head to NBA (or other Pro leagues) as quick as possible, along with the attitudes that arise from AAU ball - i.e. this affects all programs and may have been part of the problem at Wichita State? Or is this a UC strength and conditioning item, where our players get strong, lean, and bigger while also practicing so they can carry on a long tradition of UC strength success? Any other thoughts as to why this affects only men's BB? We really don't have a lot of continuity in the program with upperclassmen from Huggins showing Mick's recruits "the UC way" nor did we have much of that from Mick's upperclassmen showing JB's recruits "the UC way".

If Cunningham isn't the problem, and JB inherited it, but didn't couldn't fix it, there aren't many possibilities. This also puts a new spin on who is at fault and why JB is surprised/in the dark a bit.
              I’m pointing out that UC’s MBB program is the only program at UC that has administrative oversight issues currently. As far as I know, anyway. Cunningham hasn’t really had any other things like this to deal with that I’m aware of. The closest thing would be discontinuing men’s soccer.

It has nothing to do with NBA. AAU, NCAA, transfer portal or anything of that nature.

IMO, If you want to blame somebody for the issues at hand then It starts with Mike Bohn mishandling Mick Cronin’s contract. That led to a quick and late hire of JB without enough due diligence it would seem. Cunningham came on board and there was already a problem afoot. He’s been trying to clean up and now you have two guys in JC and JB who are stubbornly entrenched on opposite sides of the table.

I don’t know who will win the stare down. It’s likely to be Cunningham from my perspective. There’s a decent possibility we find out late next week unless I’ve misunderstood the time table Cunningham is contractually obligated to follow.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I’m pointing out that UC’s MBB program is the only program at UC that has administrative oversight issues currently. As far as I know, anyway. Cunningham hasn’t really had any other things like this to deal with that I’m aware of. The closest thing would be discontinuing men’s soccer.

It has nothing to do with NBA. AAU, NCAA, transfer portal or anything of that nature.

IMO, If you want to blame somebody for the issues at hand then It starts with Mike Bohn mishandling Mick Cronin’s contract. That led to a quick and late hire of JB without enough due diligence it would seem. Cunningham came on board and there was already a problem afoot. He’s been trying to clean up and now you have two guys in JC and JB who are stubbornly entrenched on opposite sides of the table.

I don’t know who will win the stare down. It’s likely to be Cunningham from my perspective. There’s a decent possibility we find out late next week unless I’ve misunderstood the time table Cunningham is contractually obligated to follow.
                What kind of problem existed before both Brannen and Cunningham arrived? If it was Mike Bohn and the quick hire, why wouldn't we see issues in other areas/sports? I'm glad we don't see issues in other areas/sports

Comment

• Lobot, I completely agree with you. I definitely see Cunningham as nothing more than the public spokesperson for this fiasco. Hopefully, this ends sooner than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cincycats93 View Post
                    Lobot, I completely agree with you. I definitely see Cunningham as nothing more than the public spokesperson for this fiasco. Hopefully, this ends sooner than later.
                    I agree with this, I see people blaming Cunningham and I just can't see where he's to blame. I doubt seriously weather he's even acting on his own or is the acting person for those above him.
                    If there is a blame to be had I agree with Lobot, it's Bohn for making the hasty hire in the 1st place.
                    I have no reel opinion about CJB neither good or bad but I do wonder if the pressures of the job were too much for him to handle.
                    As far as CJB getting along with his players it seems he had similar problems with Cumberland.

Comment

If the problem that existed from the beginning between JC and JB is the apparent disconnect of former players that is blatantly obvious I was under the impression that it was due to NVE not being even considered as several former players were advocating for him. But I also thought that the disconnect could be overcome as JB was a hometown guy, circulated within the same circles and was connected with many of these players having played against some. So Im at a loss as to why JB went into this job with one hand tied behind his back from the get go. Throughout his two years here it was frequently postered as under performing because he came from an inferior D 1 program . Is that code for hes incapable of getting things done the bearcat way because he hasnt reached out to any former cats or maybe his ties were stronger to eggsavier ( Mack) than to any UC alum? Im genuinely curious
                      Last edited by Rufus; 04-09-2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Might get the answer later . Rumors are out There’s a news dump coming today. I personally have not heard anything
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Might get the answer later . Rumors are out There’s a news dump coming today. I personally have not heard anything
                          [eye balls emoji] [prayers emoji]

If/when something does happen, I wonder where the news officially breaks:
                          1 - From UC Athletics
                          2 - From Justin Williams
                          3 - From a national person (e.g. Goodman)
                          4 - Other?
                          Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-09-2021, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

[eye balls emoji] [prayers emoji]

If/when something does happen, I wonder where the news officially breaks:
                            1 - From UC Athletics
                            2 - From Justin Williams
                            3 - From a national person (e.g. Goodman)
                            4 - Other?
                            My guess is Twitter sources and most of us will firts learn about when Brent posts here

Comment

• Maybe I am naive or just uninformed, but part of me believes Brannen is a good bball coach. I saw the 'Cats play the Tennessee team tough for most of the game this year even when our best player had an off night. I thought they gutted some good wins out down the stretch and in the conference tourney.

Of course if Brannen played fast and loose with COVID-19 protocols or endangered the health of his players in any way, then he has to go.

Players are leaving lots of teams (Penn State, Boston College, etc.), even Huggs is losing bodies...
                              https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...s-on-the-move/

Comment

• I’ve now heard something but have no way of validating it so Back to square one.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X