Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season Start Date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Season Start Date

    Looks like the D1 committee is voting eventually on a season start date of November 25th.

    Seems like this is happening kind of late in the process and the date is definitely later than usual.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

  • #2
    Booo. The teams are working out, even without practice and there will be testing to ensure COVID exposures to staff, coaches, and players don't crop up and reduce spread with early testing. I'd rather see them play full season on time. I don't see what a few weeks delay buys the teams. Also, I think the NCAA has more leverage with protocols. Use XYZ Medical organization's protocols (or higher), or no Tourney invite for your conference. In reality, the Bowls aren't as unified, though could've done the same thing.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

    Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      Booo. The teams are working out, even without practice and there will be testing to ensure COVID exposures to staff, coaches, and players don't crop up and reduce spread with early testing. I'd rather see them play full season on time. I don't see what a few weeks delay buys the teams. Also, I think the NCAA has more leverage with protocols. Use XYZ Medical organization's protocols (or higher), or no Tourney invite for your conference. In reality, the Bowls aren't as unified, though could've done the same thing.
      I'm blaming the PAC 12 on this one. They wanted the date to be Jan 1 with no non conference schedule.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

      Comment


      • #4
        Did I miss something where it was announced a conference only schedule to be played in the AAC? What about all the games scheduled before the 25th ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Rufus, you didn’t miss anything. There’s been no announcement by the AAC. I have no idea where this stuff from the D1 committee is coming from or why.

          I’m hoping there were be something soon that will reconcile all this. Safety first but I’d hate to lose our non conference schedule because it’s a good one.

          I’ll try and do some digging and make sure I didn’t misinterpret something.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

          Comment


          • #6
            The good news is that any game that is canceled could conceivably get pushed back (example: say they don't host UL this year, they could still play at UL next year and return game at 5/3 the following) -- whereas football is so set on scheduling games years in advance that you might not ever see a makeup game for the trip to Nebraska.

            (Also, naturally the Xavier game would fall at home this year w/ no fans and then go back to the standard hostile environment at Cintas the following year, where UC can't win)

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok, found something more. The D1 Competition Oversight Committee recommended to the full D1 committee that the start of the season be Nov. 25 for basketball in both men and women’s hoops.

              The full D1 committee is going to vote on that on 9/16. I have no indication either way whether that will pass or not.

              So It looks like we could lose everything on the schedule before Nov. 25 if the vote goes through.

              They are also voting on a couple of other things such as cutting the fall championships by 50%. I think this is mostly a move for safety in sports other than football and really should not affect UC.


              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

              Comment


              • #8
                Yea I was / am hoping to have these early games in order for this team to gel. Two new starters and two with just a years experience is a lot to overcome. On the flip side I did see a video on ZH's instagram I believe that showed all the newcomers having fun showing off their dunks and talking smack. If they do genuinely get along with each other, that is more than half the battle. I believe it ( decision to play ) will all hinge on the numbers coming after this labor day weekend. Im predicting another spike and so unfortunately a reduced schedule and a late start date

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  Yea I was / am hoping to have these early games in order for this team to gel. Two new starters and two with just a years experience is a lot to overcome. On the flip side I did see a video on ZH's instagram I believe that showed all the newcomers having fun showing off their dunks and talking smack. If they do genuinely get along with each other, that is more than half the battle. I believe it ( decision to play ) will all hinge on the numbers coming after this labor day weekend. Im predicting another spike and so unfortunately a reduced schedule and a late start date
                  You would be on target to predict a spike 2-3 weeks after Labor Day in my opinion. Have to wait and see how that plays out.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The thing I think is critical is that both the team, the league, and the NCAA have protocol in place. You ARE gonna have positive tests and MUST have a procedure that you then follow. If you first reaction is gonna be "oh.. gotta shut it down" then don't even start. The facts still remain that.. a positive test.. unless it turns into severe illness or hospital stay is NOT a HUGE deal. In fact, having the antibodies after.. as long as you got thru the initial infection.. is a good thing... But.. like I say.. have a strong protocol in effect.. expect positive results and have a plan for that.. it lets F&CKIN tip this thing off !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
                      The thing I think is critical is that both the team, the league, and the NCAA have protocol in place. You ARE gonna have positive tests and MUST have a procedure that you then follow. If you first reaction is gonna be "oh.. gotta shut it down" then don't even start. The facts still remain that.. a positive test.. unless it turns into severe illness or hospital stay is NOT a HUGE deal. In fact, having the antibodies after.. as long as you got thru the initial infection.. is a good thing... But.. like I say.. have a strong protocol in effect.. expect positive results and have a plan for that.. it lets F&CKIN tip this thing off !
                      Agree, need to have a strong protocol covering as many contingencies as possible without jumping to shut it down. I disagree that we can say "unless it turns into severe illness or hospital stay is NOT a HUGE deal." From what I have read about lung scarring and other effects from coronoviruses (Sars-Cov-2 and many others): We don't know if this is common long term effect not much different than those found with multiple colds, or if this scarring is specific to this virus (or some strands of this virus). I really hope and believe we are finding this now because we are looking when we haven't looked at this from other cold viruses, i.e. this is not new for cold viruses and likely not a huge deal. As we learn more, I really pray that playing sports didn't put these kids at greater risk of catching it AND ithe long term effects on lungs was worse than originally thought. That would be the reasoning the B!G and Pac-12 pressed the pause button on sports. Too early to say if they were overly cautious or not cautious enough.


                      Let's tip this thing off as safely as we can for the players, coaches, and staff. I think it can be done with a strong protocol in place.
                      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

                      Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There is a push on to keep the season start date at Nov. 10 which would be the normal start date
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          November 25 seems to be the date

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This means we will probably lose the UofL bb game.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                              This means we will probably lose the UofL bb game.
                              You mean not be able to play it or play it and lose?

                              Comment

                              Responsive Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X