The yearly retired number discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The yearly retired number discussion

With the graduation of Steve Logan, the yearly discussion between UC folks on Twitter got started again. A lot of it was prompted by Mike DeCourcy tweeting this:
    "Now get his jersey up in the rafters where it belongs, along with Danny Fortson, Nick Van Exel, Sean Kilpatrick. No good reason UC refuses to do this."

My response to him was that we should be hanging jerseys but not retiring numbers and that the retired numbers should be reserved for NPOY winners.

Most of you know this already but the current criteria is that to have a NUMBER retired the player must win Natonal Player of the Year. This criteria came about after Jack Twyman's number was retired and there was no NPOY award at the time so he got grandfathered in. To be honest it's a really high bar and I personally think that the program dug itself a whole by setting the bar that high. We currently have Twyman, Oscar Robertson, Kenyon Martin and Cheryl Cook as retired numbers in the building.

Before 5/3 was remodeled, we had a wall of All-Americans below the UCATS club. I was last in 5/3 in November of last year for the UC Bicentenial and the place wasn't 100% finished yet as they had some decor to work on still. At that point there was no recognition for the All-Americans up in the remodeled arena. Did that get fixed?

I personally don't think you change the criteria. It is what is is. That said, there's no reason some of the basketball players, and volleyball players for that matter, shouldn't have a jersey in the rafters somewhere. You just don't retire the number. Someone mentioned a couple of days ago that there are only 36 available numbers in basketball anyway so retiring a bunch of numbers can cause issues. That's why programs like UNC hang jerseys with names in the building instead.

As far as who should get the next retired number or jersey for 5/3, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jordan Thompson from the Women's Volleyball Team. From there then you argue about which men's and women's basketball players to put up there. Logan would be one of them and as DeCourcy suggested, SK, NVE, Fortson and some of the older guys like Ron Bonham (RIP), Paul Hogue, George Wilson, Tony Yates (RIP)
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I agree with everything you posted. I would add Deonta Vaughn. If we didn't have him when Cronin started our win total would have been much lower. He was a great player on some really awful teams & I
    just think he deserves a little more recognition. Hanging his jersey in the rafters would be a great honor. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Even if it's just adding the jersey of a first team all-american would be ideal. I'm speaking directly towards the basketball argument and have virtually 0 knowledge on the volleyball side of things.

How many first team AA have we had?
      Bonham
      Thacker
      Fortson
      Logan
      Kilpatrick

Excluding Big O and Kenyon which are already up there.
      Cory Huffman
      Cin City

Comment

I forgot to add Pat Cummings. He was my idol & later in my life became a client & friend of mine. His jersey should be up in the rafters as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
          I agree with everything you posted. I would add Deonta Vaughn. If we didn't have him when Cronin started our win total would have been much lower. He was a great player on some really awful teams & I
          just think he deserves a little more recognition. Hanging his jersey in the rafters would be a great honor. Just my humble opinion.
          I would absolutely include Vaughn. I didn’t mention him because DeCourcy didn’t in his original tweet.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Maybe it's recency bias, but I think Gary Clark should be in the conversation. I'm not saying he's a slam dunk, but he was a 4 year guy with tremendous character AND he shouldered a lot of the load his final two years.

Comment

If you're going to hang some jerseys, what are your criteria? Strictly scoring or all around avgs. Gary definitely belongs up there.

This is the 1000 Point club. There's lots of guys that could go up there from the mid 70s-80s era as well that we tend to forget about like Bobby Miller, Jelly Jones, Jim Ard, Lloyd Batts, Roger McClendon and Derek Dickey.

I did not realize that Herb Jones hit 1000 pts in 2 years here which is kind of crazy. We talk about Nick and Corie from that team because they played in the NBA but Herb was the best player on that team.

There a bunch of guys on this list that hit their numbers in 3 years and without the 3 pointer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincin...-point_scorers
              Last edited by Lobot; 08-07-2020, 03:01 PM.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

When citing the current "criteria" -- whose criteria is this? Is it written somewhere? Obviously there have been a lot of changes in leadership through the years and curious how this gets passed on through the years -- is there some secretly guarded document, akin to the U.S. Constitution, that is being stored somewhere in the Lindner Center?
                Last edited by GoBearcats31; 08-07-2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                  When citing the current "criteria" -- whose criteria is this? Is it written somewhere? Obviously there have been a lot of changes in leadership through the years and curious how this gets passed on through the years -- is there some secretly guarded document, akin to the U.S. Constitution, that is being stored somewhere in the Lindner Center?
                  That’s a really good question. I think it looked good at some point and no one wants to mess with it because “it’s always been that way”

I mean if they changed the number retirement system, I’d think they would at least ask Oscar and Kenyon about it. Both of them have said something in the past but I don’t recall what either opinion was off the top of my head.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    If you're going to hang some jerseys, what are your criteria? Strictly scoring or all around avgs. Gary definitely belongs up there.

This is the 1000 Point club. There's lots of guys that could go up there from the mid 70s-80s era as well that we tend to forget about like Bobby Miller, Jelly Jones, Jim Ard, Lloyd Batts, Roger McClendon and Derek Dickey.

I did not realize that Herb Jones hit 1000 pts in 2 years here which is kind of crazy. We talk about Nick and Corie from that team because they played in the NBA but Herb was the best player on that team.

There a bunch of guys on this list that hit their numbers in 3 years and without the 3 pointer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincin...-point_scorers
                    Absolutely agree. I was at the fieldhouse when Lloyd Batts hit his 1000th point. Jim Ard being so important to the win over Louisville in my freshman year. Who knows how many points Roger McClendon would have compiled with a 3 point shot back then. Most of his points were from the Coke machine in the lobby.

Comment

All the names suggested were great players. However, if we retired all their numbers we wouldn't have any numbers left for current players to put on their jerseys. I think we're fine leaving the system as is, which is super-selective. If we're going to expand the list, I would consider Yates and Thacker, who were the only two players to start on each of our 1961 national championship team, our 1962 national championship team and our 1963 national champion runner-up team.

Comment

Originally posted by djs View Post
                        All the names suggested were great players. However, if we retired all their numbers we wouldn't have any numbers left for current players to put on their jerseys. I think we're fine leaving the system as is, which is super-selective. If we're going to expand the list, I would consider Yates and Thacker, who were the only two players to start on each of our 1961 national championship team, our 1962 national championship team and our 1963 national champion runner-up team.
                        Yeah, You can't retire the numbers of all these players for exactly the reason you mentioned.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

You cant just retire the numbers worn by great or outstanding players as has been already made aware, there would soon be none left to be worn by current players. However hanging the jersey of players who were outstanding somewhere visible or a " ring of honor " of sorts would be nice. The question is then becomes of what the criteria would be to be included in this group because some of the names mentioned were all good at there time but not all worthy of ring of honor status. There are definitely some though that do deserve some kudos.

Comment

If you look around the base of the Oscar statue. there are paving stones with the names of our All-Americans. I doubt many people have really noticed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Mac View Post
                              If you look around the base of the Oscar statue. there are paving stones with the names of our All-Americans. I doubt many people have really noticed them.
                              I did see that in November but had forgotten about them. Seems like something a little more prominent wpould be good.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X