Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two UofL Men’s Basketball players test positive for COVID-19, activities suspended

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two UofL Men’s Basketball players test positive for COVID-19, activities suspended

Two UofL Men’s Basketball players test positive for COVID-19, activities suspended

By
    Bryan Kennedy
    -
    July 7, 2020
    FD435EE6-9C50-4F8D-8EF6-4F2ADD473ABB
    LOUISVILLE, KY (UofL Athletics) – The University of Louisville has temporarily suspended all men’s basketball voluntary activities for two weeks after two members of the program tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. All proper procedures and protocols are being followed, including the quarantining of those impacted. We look forward to a resumption of men’s basketball activities in the near future.
    Last edited by BearKatz; 07-07-2020, 11:40 AM.

And so it begins... I wonder if we will even have a College Basketball Season this upcoming year.

Comment

This seems like a good time to bring this up... We have to quit fixating on the number of positive cases. If they test positive without become real sick and requiring hospital time... ITS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. Now.. I don't mean to minimize the whole thing but... theoretically, if 95% of the country tested positive.. without overwhelming the health care system.. that would be a GREAT thing. So.. just a word of caution about ONLY concentrating on positive results without digging deeper.

Comment

Look the testing numbers at this point are way above where they were at two months ago so your point is a valid argument. When you factor in many folks have very little side effects of it, it's really hard to compare any numbers from one period to the next as there were probably a lot of people in the early days who had it and were never tested to begin with as their symptoms go away. I think the hospitalization and maybe the death numbers are really the true read on where it's at. I say maybe in the case of deaths as those numbers can be manipulated easier. I really don't think they'll come up with a vaccine so this thing is going to have to be worn down with the old herd immunity as i see it. That likely includes a lot of folks being exposed to it. Hope they develop a magic pill or shot, but it's a lot more involved/difficult with these covid deals than a lot of other virus's.

Comment

For what it's worth, as it relates to COVID, it's important to remember a few things:
          1) We still don't really know what we're dealing with and its true severity other than it has a much higher mortality rate than the typical coronavirus variants
          2) It seems to have more serious lingering / long-term impact than the seasonal flu
          3) Asymptomatic carriers and those with mild effects can still transmit the virus to other people
          4) There is not much evidence that indicates long term immunity (or even seasonal immunity) at this point, which would be the core requirement for herd immunity

To sum it up, we still don't know enough, other than it's a bear of a virus, so public health experts continue to be cautious. Just because it isn't Ebola, doesn't mean it isn't a serious, serious public health risk.
          Last edited by nabeel; 07-08-2020, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I wonder if these players had the virus prior to Team Activities ? That's a huge factor...

Comment

Originally posted by nabeel View Post
              For what it's worth, as it relates to COVID, it's important to remember a few things:
              1) We still don't really know what we're dealing with and it's true severity other than it has a much higher mortality rate than the typical coronavirus variants
              2) It seems to have more serious lingering / long-term impact than the seasonal flu
              3) Asymptomatic carriers and those with mild effects can still transmit the virus to other people
              4) There is not much evidence that indicates long term immunity (or even seasonal immunity) at this point, which would be the core requirement for herd immunity

To sum it up, we still don't know enough, other than it's a bear of a virus, so public health experts continue to be cautious. Just because it isn't Ebola, doesn't mean it isn't a serious, serious public health risk.
              There is additional reporting stating that chest X-rays showed lung damage in asymptomatic people who had not known they were infected, which can lead to buildup of scar tissue and long term damage. That sounds like something an athlete wants to avoid.

Comment

Ohio State Football just stopped all voluntary workouts for Football... I do not think we will have Fall College Sports...I truly hope that's not the case.

Comment

We've got like 3 threads for shutdowns going on. I just tried to consolidate them in one place. It's in the football forum.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X