No announcement yet.

Zach Harvey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its very hard for some players coming out of todays pampered AAU system to adjust to the reality of earning playing time at the D1 level. I want a coach with principals and disciplines who has got the balls to enforce them. Some arbitrary high school rating system and inflated numbers all get thrown out once you arrive on campus. There are no entitlement carryovers - its time to put your big boy pants on, show some heart and character, and prove you deserve minutes. Zach couldn't make the transition. Coach will play whoever he thinks understands his process and gives us the best chance to win.
    There are very good players who fall through the recruiting cracks all the time and have very nice college careers. Diamonds in the rough are fun to root for. Maybe we have some?
    There are entitled, overrated players who never quite fit the college game and underachieve. Maybe we have some of those also.
    Its too early on most of our guys, Zach included, to evaluate their careers. Most guys don't pay dividends until year 2 or 3 and we just aren't there. Years 1 and 2 are often spent developing skills, practice habits, strength, and learning the game. If you don't have the patience for the process, you may not have had realistic expectations coming in.

Comment

I remember a kid huggs recruited, a big kid to play the 5. Cant remember his name, but last name started with a B, Barger or Barker, something like that maybe one of the UC bball gurus will remember but highly recruited, hyped up, and lauded over. But only made it in just a few games and Huggs would yank him after just a few minutes of play. He was lazy, uncoachable, refused to listen to any direction and was soon gone from the program. The point is reiterating RedDog is that sometimes a completed recruiting maybe isnt as good in person as it appears on paper. I wish Zach nothing but good in all that he endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
        I remember a kid huggs recruited, a big kid to play the 5. Cant remember his name, but last name started with a B, Barger or Barker, something like that maybe one of the UC bball gurus will remember but highly recruited, hyped up, and lauded over. But only made it in just a few games and Huggs would yank him after just a few minutes of play. He was lazy, uncoachable, refused to listen to any direction and was soon gone from the program. The point is reiterating RedDog is that sometimes a completed recruiting maybe isnt as good in person as it appears on paper. I wish Zach nothing but good in all that he endeavors.
        You're not talking about Robert Whaley by chance?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-whaley-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
          Playing time + production should equal more playing time. Not the case with Harvey. A top-50 guy isn’t going to wait 3 years for a chance to play. He’s not going to sit behind MAW and Mason Madsen.
          Come on, his production in games over 15 minutes the past couple years has not been off the chart. He's definitely shown better this year when he's been healthy, but we're not talking about a guy who the other team scheme's to shut down. Time will tell when you see first 1. where he lands and 2. what he does there. However, his offensive production was not off the charts whereby he was going to be playing ahead of both Madsen and MAW who have been solid contributors in this hot streak they're on. It's not an all or nothing process. I would be willing to wager as i posted above, if you are at practice on a regular basis those two consistently shoot the ball better from the perimeter and ft line than Harvey did. Since practice began back in the fall the reports have been Madsen was easily their best 3 pt threat. On a team with really tough luck shooting 3's, those guys are not going to not get minutes in place of Harvey particularly when they're winning. If Harvey would have come into the Ucf game and scored early and often i'm sure he would have had more minutes. However, the objective is to win the game. I think Eason was a top 100 guy. Does anyone think Harvey was far ahead of Eason being top 50? Harvey was a 4 star which they're are quite a few of. I can't think of to many top 100 programs right now he would be currently starting on based on what he has shown in his interrupted year and half here. He's shown he's really not above the other folks that are playing night in and night out.

RE: Madsen, The Cats are 5 and 1 since he started playing. He's averaging about 5 points a game in 11 minutes. Also, has also shot 11 ft's off the bench the past two game which he's iced. That is exactly what they were missing early in the year. There is no way he's not going to get minutes if he's healthy. He's in the rotation until he plays his way out of it. Harvey played 11 minutes Sunday and had no points, a turnover a couple fouls and a rebound. If you leave because your team won and you didn't play enough, everybody is probably better off. If you want to be a 30 minutes a game guy right now, probably go to a lower conference or show more. I liked the guy, but he's not where he needs to be to play starter minutes on most teams.
          Last edited by coach; 02-18-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I just would have liked to have seen Harvey start 4-5 games and get 25-ish minutes in those games, just to see how he would have done. It seemed like we were almost at that point, then not. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Come on, his production in games over 15 minutes the past couple years has not been off the chart. He's definitely shown better this year when he's been healthy, but we're not talking about a guy who the other team scheme's to shut down. Time will tell when you see first 1. where he lands and 2. what he does there. However, his offensive production was not off the charts whereby he was going to be playing ahead of both Madsen and MAW who have been solid contributors in this hot streak they're on. It's not an all or nothing process. I would be willing to wager as i posted above, if you are at practice on a regular basis those two consistently shoot the ball better from the perimeter and ft line than Harvey did. Since practice began back in the fall the reports have been Madsen was easily their best 3 pt threat. On a team with really tough luck shooting 3's, those guys are not going to not get minutes in place of Harvey particularly when they're winning. If Harvey would have come into the Ucf game and scored early and often i'm sure he would have had more minutes. However, the objective is to win the game. I think Eason was a top 100 guy. Does anyone think Harvey was far ahead of Eason being top 50? Harvey was a 4 star which they're are quite a few of. I can't think of to many top 100 programs right now he would be currently starting on based on what he has shown in his interrupted year and half here. He's shown he's really not above the other folks that are playing night in and night out.

RE: Madsen, The Cats are 5 and 1 since he started playing. He's averaging about 5 points a game in 11 minutes. Also, has also shot 11 ft's off the bench the past two game which he's iced. That is exactly what they were missing early in the year. There is no way he's not going to get minutes if he's healthy. He's in the rotation until he plays his way out of it. Harvey played 11 minutes Sunday and had no points, a turnover a couple fouls and a rebound. If you leave because your team won and you didn't play enough, everybody is probably better off. If you want to be a 30 minutes a game guy right now, probably go to a lower conference or show more. I liked the guy, but he's not where he needs to be to play starter minutes on most teams.
              Going back 6 games SMU - Harvey 13points 3 reb 1 assist 18 min. Madsen 3 pts 0 reb 0 assists3 minutes
              5 games WSU Harvey 19 26 min 3 re 1 assist Madsen 4 pts 1 reb 0 assists 9 minutes
              I see who had the bigger contribution even though they were 1 and 1
              I want Madsen to have great success, but Harvey was very vital and getting better.
              I would take caution in saying he iced the last game going 1 for 2 even though it did increase the lead to four,

Comment

You're not talking about Robert Whaley by chance?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-whaley-1.html

yes it is, i was way off on the name wasnt I. But yea thats the guy. I dont remember him playing that msny ball games for us. All I remember was Huggs was all the time on his butt trying to get him motivated.
                Last edited by Rufus; 02-18-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                  I just would have liked to have seen Harvey start 4-5 games and get 25-ish minutes in those games, just to see how he would have done. It seemed like we were almost at that point, then not. Who knows.
                  I would have liked to see him start everygame and average double figures. That's where a 2nd year 4 star recruit should be. That's exactly the point - why wasn;t it happening?? The whole premise of this argument is those of us that say that's on Zach vs. those that say its on the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

Going back 6 games SMU - Harvey 13points 3 reb 1 assist 18 min. Madsen 3 pts 0 reb 0 assists3 minutes
                    5 games WSU Harvey 19 26 min 3 re 1 assist Madsen 4 pts 1 reb 0 assists 9 minutes
                    I see who had the bigger contribution even though they were 1 and 1
                    I want Madsen to have great success, but Harvey was very vital and getting better.
                    I would take caution in saying he iced the last game going 1 for 2 even though it did increase the lead to four,

He was 3/4 in the last 11 seconds of the game and got the final rebound. He also hit both ft's at Temple with 10 second left to win that one. Sure he had less minutes when he first came back than Harvey, but he didn't quit.

Comment

He was 3/4 in the last 11 seconds of the game and got the final rebound. He also hit both ft's at Temple with 10 second left to win that one. Sure he had less minutes when he first came back than Harvey, but he didn't quit.
                      Coach you know you can't brag unless you go 4 for 4 in those tight games. Plus with a head to head comparison, you saw the result. Do you know what was said to ZH or what was promised to Madsen, You can't speculate about a kid and then call him a quitter to prove your point on the net. Head to head it was obvious. Unless ZH was a real pain, i don't see how this s a win for UC, If he was a pain a walk on would hae taken the minutes as we saw in other games. Perhaps ZH confronted CJB or maybe his folks. everyone including the athletic and BCJ saw his posture on the bench. Three others didn't get 2nd half time either. Close game I understand, but the ones who got the minutes just barely survived instead of blowing that team out as they should have. I am still a bearcat fan as I have been for over 60 years, but I ever liked Tay Baker over this guy. I want him to win and perhaps he needs another year, but ZH was one of his and not Mick's/ That's is two so far. I hope CJB has some ready and skilled replacements. Not upset with you as we are in a discussion, but I am frustrated with the program currently. I wonder if others will feel the same if the cats don't keep on winning. I hope they do.

Comment

STOP IT. Mason Madsen is 6’3”, slow, unathletic, and can’t shoot. He’s a low D1 guy at best.
                        My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

AND................... this thread is officially CRAP. None of us are in a position to know what went into the coaching decisions that were made. Be disappointed that a skilled player has decided to leave.. be concerned as to the reasons why but... good lord this thread has turned into a whole lotta people talking about stuff AS IF they were in the know.. but are not. SHEESH !!!

Comment

The sad thing about this is he was starting to play well, and I expected major strides as he became an upper classman. I thought he had the potential to be a really good player for us, especially in his senior year. It appears that's not happening now. I don't know the reasons behind what happened here, all I know is it sucks for UC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

yes it is, i was way off on the name wasnt I. But yea thats the guy. I dont remember him playing that msny ball games for us. All I remember was Huggs was all the time on his butt trying to get him motivated.
                              I was thinking BJ Grove

Comment

Cincinnati coach John Brannen on guard Zach Harvey opting out of the rest of the season: "For me, mental health and well-being is what's most important. ... That young man's gone through a lot. I fully support his decision." Brannen would not address if Harvey will return.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X