No announcement yet.

Non Conference Schedule 2020-2021

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xavier Dec. 6 at 5/3 . Book it. Coach Brannen said so.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      Xavier Dec. 6 at 5/3 . Book it. Coach Brannen said so.
      https://twitter.com/coachbrannen/sta...93034179907584

Comment

Also, we are out of the preseason NIT per Matt Norlander. Not sure why nothing was announced but the 4 teams are Texas Tech, Gonzaga, Auburn and Houston . Go figure.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Also, we are out of the preseason NIT per Matt Norlander. Not sure why nothing was announced but the 4 teams are Texas Tech, Gonzaga, Auburn and Houston . Go figure.
          As a coach/AD, I would say let's play anyone anywhere, any time. As as a fan, I'm actually okay not getting pounded by Gonzaga, let Houston have it. Houston and Texas Tech are both top 20 in the pre-season rankings. We have a lot of new people and few experienced people taking new leadership roles. IF we can get roughly equal payday in another tournament, then no need to face that bunch. I don't think we pulled out to avoid the competition, but some early season success could help this team build upon those successes.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

On the X game, Xavier was just a tad inflexible and insisted it be played as agreed on. Keep in mind there’s no written contract for this series. It was part of a 10 year agreement after the brawl. The agreement ends in 2024.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Timely piece from Mike DeCourcy, who gets this nugget from one Michael Cronin: "Everybody should schedule with their players in mind, not selfish thoughts of who gets a home game with fans."
              https://twitter.com/sportingnews/sta...26030895202305

Coincidence or Mike DeC (who I normally like) getting a sound bite for Cronin to take a shot towards UC (and, I suppose, Chris Mack)?

Comment

On the X game, Xavier was just a tad inflexible and insisted it be played as agreed on. Keep in mind there’s no written contract for this series. It was part of a 10 year agreement after the brawl. The agreement ends in 2024.
                I say get rid of it, and go back to playing Dayton every year.

Comment

Well X's TSteele fits right in line with all of other D_ck Heads that coached XU. He wants to play here this year because he knows there will be very few fans if any at the Shoe. If reversed, he would want to either
                  not play or postpone the game. Total lack of class. Then again, what do you expect from XU!

Comment

Chad Brendel has been arguing with people on Twitter for a couple of days on how there's not a written contract for this X game. The Enquirer says they have it but what they actually have is a copy of the memorandum of understanding. All I know is that the memo dates to 2014, is for 10 years and is not an actual contract.

Therein lies the problem. Why is there no contract for this game? Even though we're a bout 2.5 miles away from each other and an MOU is nice, It seems like a game this big would have an enforceable contract. The only thing I can think of is that they did the memo in 2014 after the brawl and wanted it to be flexiable in case something happened again.

The game is being played as agreed on and I don't think UC really has an argument with that outside of not having fans in the stands for our home game. It's 2020, what are you going to do?

Here's a nice breakdown on what was offered instead of that option and how this whole thing went down. ($)

https://theathletic.com/2138157/2020...twitter-video/

Just in case you can't read that, here's the important part. This is what UC offered instead of the home game with no fans.
                    1. Play the 2020 game at a neutral site, and then reset the rotation in 2021 at Fifth Third Arena.
                    2. Play the 2020 game at Cintas Center and 2021 at Fifth Third Arena.
                    3. Play the 2020 game at a neutral site and two Shootouts in 2021, one at Cintas, one at Fifth Third.
                    4. Play the 2020 game at a neutral site, 2021 at Cintas, and then 2022 and 2023 at Fifth Third.
                    Xavier balked at all of these options.

Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Chad Brendel has been arguing with people on Twitter for a couple of days on how there's not a written contract for this X game. The Enquirer says they have it but what they actually have is a copy of the memorandum of understanding. All I know is that the memo dates to 2014, is for 10 years and is not an actual contract.

Therein lies the problem. Why is there no contract for this game? Even though we're a bout 2.5 miles away from each other and an MOU is nice, It seems like a game this big would have an enforceable contract. The only thing I can think of is that they did the memo in 2014 after the brawl and wanted it to be flexiable in case something happened again.

The game is being played as agreed on and I don't think UC really has an argument with that outside of not having fans in the stands for our home game. It's 2020, what are you going to do?

Here's a nice breakdown on what was offered instead of that option and how this whole thing went down. ($)

https://theathletic.com/2138157/2020...twitter-video/

Just in case you can't read that, here's the important part. This is what UC offered instead of the home game with no fans.
                      1. Play the 2020 game at a neutral site, and then reset the rotation in 2021 at Fifth Third Arena.
                      2. Play the 2020 game at Cintas Center and 2021 at Fifth Third Arena.
                      3. Play the 2020 game at a neutral site and two Shootouts in 2021, one at Cintas, one at Fifth Third.
                      4. Play the 2020 game at a neutral site, 2021 at Cintas, and then 2022 and 2023 at Fifth Third.
                      Xavier balked at all of these options.

And that's why -- while I enjoy listening to his podcasts and radio/TV appearances about UC/college hoops, he has good scoop, he runs a good site, etc. -- I have him muted on Twitter.

Honestly, it is what it it is. I get UC's perspective, I get Xavier's perspective -- and I'm pretty sure if the roles were reversed, UC fans would be praising Brannen (for the way Steele is coming off) and saying the same things X fans are probably saying about UC fans. And, quite honestly, if the game did get canceled for some time, it would be both unfortunate/disappointing and a relief. It's great when they win, and it's insufferable when they lose (fortunately, once in the last 10 years has their been a winnable game that slipped away). It's definitely a love/hate relationship with the Crosstown Shootout. And the pettiness on social media is exhausting most of the time.

I remember in the Big East Days, when I attended a UC beat down of Louisville at home (Chane Behanan era) and it felt more gratifying and significant than the Xavier game. In the moment, and the week of, the Crosstown Shootout means everything. But, sadly, we are removed from the days where it was front and center on ESPN (back when it was a Dickie V game), obviously referring nowto when UC is at home and has TV rights to the game. It's definitely cool for the city, and most diehard fans and knowledgeable media members know where it stacks up in terms of a great rivalry, but otherwise most people nationally don't care (unless brawling).

And, whether we care to admit it or not, X is in the Big East and we are stuck in the AAC. I will maintain that the game still means more to them and they are more obsessed with UC than the other way around. But until we can reclaim the series (i.e. start winning an occasional game at Cintas and defend our home court), it's going to be much of the same as long as they play. So, with that in mind, hopefully UC can beat their @sses this year and Brannen can fare better than Cronin.

Ok, rant over, GoBearcats31 out -- happy Saturday! Go Cats!
                      Last edited by GoBearcats31; 10-17-2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Im all in favor of just eliminating this series altogether. To X a win equates to their entire season being a success, whereas the UC players just see it as another game. The hype that goes on in the week of is insufferable not to mention the the lack of cordiality from them after a win.

Comment

I agree,cancel the series.

Comment

Just end it.

Comment

End it? Just check out the crowd's energy during that game v. ANY other game - it's hyped no matter the team's rankings. X has generally quality team and adds to the OOC nicely. We don't really have a rival in the AAC,- and that's very apparent in football. This game isn't (and shouldn't) go away.

Comment

Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post
                                End it? Just check out the crowd's energy during that game v. ANY other game - it's hyped no matter the team's rankings. X has generally quality team and adds to the OOC nicely. We don't really have a rival in the AAC,- and that's very apparent in football. This game isn't (and shouldn't) go away.
                                I agree. Why would you end it? One of the better rivalries in college basketball. Just because we have been on the losing end of the series lately is no reason to end it.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X