Coronavirus thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus thread

I hate to do this but I need to post this.

Texas govt officials have not said anything about public events here. Tarrant County, which is Fort Worth and suburbs, does have a presumed positive test. It has not been confirmed by the CDC as of today. The state labs in North Texas, just got the ability to test for Covid19 two days ago. This means it’s in the North Texas area undetected and people aren’t getting tested.

I don’t know what the AAC will do but I know they should go players and staff only. I haaaaaate this idea because I’m local and have been waiting for this tourney for two years.

Im still planning on going to the games if I’m allowed to and here’s why. This is a pandemic. Your chances of getting the virus are high regardless of what you do. The chances of you picking it up here are decent if you come down here. Everybody needs to make their own decision on whether to travel for this.

For those who don’t already know, my wife is in health care. We’ve seen the data and checked the sources. This thing is not a hoax and cases are likely to expand exponentially over the next 2 weeks.

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I’ve just been informed all alumni events at the AAC tourney are canceled
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If they have games without fans, I'm not going.

Comment

Just cancel the tournament and give the automatic bid to the top seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
          If they have games without fans, I'm not going.

If they have fans, something tells me they will be giving away tickets at this point.

Comment

I agree with Lobot. I’ve been running my company’s business continuity plan for the last week or so and we pull data from the CDC and WHO as well as state governments and other businesses. The virus is spreading quickly and the death rate is higher than that of the flu at this point. The numbers are skewed to some extent by China (50% of males smoke, respiratory issues due to pollution and very poor healthcare) but are still real. If you have an auto-immune disease, any type of respiratory issue and unfortunately over (I’ve seen multiple age ranges so someone may have better info than me - but say 60 or so) then you are high risk. Some countries have done well with keeping the death rate down - South Korea, Germany for example but it’s still early in the US so we’ll see how well we can handle it. I have to say - I don’t ever remember sporting events keeping the fans out in my lifetime.
            Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

From on campus...
              • Effective Saturday, March 14, 2020, UC will suspend face-to-face instruction, lectures, discussion sessions, seminars and other similar classroom settings, and move to remote instruction. Face-to-face instruction will resume Monday, April 13, 2020. Instruction that involves labs, studios, music lessons, clinical experience, e.g., may meet at the discretion of the dean provided that social distancing is observed and respected.

This is a bit longer than the suspension announced by Ohio State earlier this week.

Comment

Problem I have with all of this is the death rate is highly skewed to the elderly and people with compromised lung issues, while the seasonal flu affect just about everyone. I'm no health expert so please correct me if I am way off base here.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcat95 View Post
                  . I have to say - I don’t ever remember sporting events keeping the fans out in my lifetime.
                  I do in mine; in 1989 Siena College experienced a measles outbreak. Watching games with no fans was odd. BTW, Mike Deane was the coach at Siena at the time (remember him from CUSA days?). BTW part two, the article below referenced this occasion because Baltimore was going to play in an empty Camden Yards due to civil unrest (aka, rioting).

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...y18f3wkkidl6kh

Comment

Anybody know if this is a virus if once you get it it's unlikely to come back? I've not seen that addressed if it's something that you build immunity to it once you've gone thru it.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                      Anybody know if this is a virus if once you get it it's unlikely to come back? I've not seen that addressed if it's something that you build immunity to it once you've gone thru it.
                      Some of the sources I've seen, Johns Hopkins etc. are saying that reinfection is common. It's uncertain at this point whether that's actually happening or whether people are not fighting it off completely when their symptoms disappear and it's still showing up as a positive test.
                      Last edited by Lobot; 03-11-2020, 09:56 AM.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat1996 View Post
                        Problem I have with all of this is the death rate is highly skewed to the elderly and people with compromised lung issues, while the seasonal flu affect just about everyone. I'm no health expert so please correct me if I am way off base here.
                        The media is blowing this out of proportion, but taking precautions to snip this in the bud, so to speak, is a good idea. The goal is to prevent spread period, so it doesn't get spread to people who are compromised. Most generally healthy people will have flu-like symptoms and likely fully recover. The strain has both a high infectious rate and a high mortality rate (though that may be skewed because many people who get mild symptoms may not have been tested for flu type).
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Well the person that’s infected in Tarrant County is an episcopal rector in Fort Worth. Not sure how big the congregation is but that potentially adds a lot cases to the total in Tarrant.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

The media is blowing this out of proportion, but taking precautions to snip this in the bud, so to speak, is a good idea. The goal is to prevent spread period, so it doesn't get spread to people who are compromised. Most generally healthy people will have flu-like symptoms and likely fully recover. The strain has both a high infectious rate and a high mortality rate (though that may be skewed because many people who get mild symptoms may not have been tested for flu type).
                            I get all that - makes perfect sense. So if you are elderly and / or have lung issues, keep away from large crowds (i.e. stay home). The symptoms are so mild (from reports), that healthy people may not even realize they have it. There is no way to stop the spread, regardless of how many events are cancelled Its silly and irresponsible to think otherwise.

Comment

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...c-2e2d24d2363a
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X