Usf 3/3 7:00 espnu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usf 3/3 7:00 espnu

Very short turn around with air travel. Not a good thing after an exhausting game on Sunday afternoon. This building also tends to give our shooters issues

USF is 13-16 overall and 6-10 in conference. The bulls are coming off a w at Temple over the weekend. They are lead by David Collins and LaQuincy Rideau. Rideau is built like a truck and can get into the lane and to the hoop at the PG position. I can see us employing some zone against the Bulls if Rideau is a problem driving. We just have to hope Collins doesn't shoot the Cats out of it. USF goes about 8 deep which is helpful since we have a short bench now with Davenport not traveling.

I would look for lots of minutes for Diarra at the 4 and 5 just due to the short bench. I'm hoping Vogt will come out of his slump a bit in the game but he's got to contend with Michael Durr at 7'0. What I'd like to see from this UC in this game is Mika Adams-Woods and Zach Harvey taking a few more shots when they're at the SG position. I think that would unclog the defense a bit for Cumberland and Williams.

I don't think this will be the easy game that it appears to be on paper.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../stats/_/id/58

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Agree Woods and Harvey should shoot the ball more. They can't shoot it any worse than Cumberland right now. Somebody else has to emerge as a shooter because our offense is in a major funk right now.

Comment

Yea we have struggled mightily on the road. Unfortunately this game probably won't be any different. Going to have to grunt one out to keep out tournament hopes alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        V
        . I'm hoping Vogt will come out of his slump a bit in the game but he's got to contend with Michael Durr at 7'0.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../stats/_/id/58

Unfortunately IMHO I don't believe Vogt is in a slump but is simply playing to his current capabilities -which were quite good against Horizon League types of centers, but not nearly as good against high major types.

Comment

Given how Vogt has struggled as of late and with Scott graduating Brannen needs to add another big man with one of his 2 open scholarships. If not, we will see more days like yesterday with us getting crushed on the boards.

Comment

Obviously they cannot make big changes at this point but some ideas that are at least worth considering.
            1. Have Diarra start over Vogt. Diarra is more athletic and it might help to have Vogt's scoring off the bench given Jaevin's inconsistency. I'm not suggesting it should change Vogt's minutes much.
            2. Take Jarron off the ball at times. Every team in the conference has seen Jarron at PG. They are just better at defending now. Even if it was just a few minutes a game with Mika bringing the ball up it might help.
            3. Maybe more minutes for Harvey with the Jarron, Keith, Tre' core? He's been good defensively in AAC play.
            4. Is there a way to get Keith Williams more involved on offense? Earlier in the year he did well in screen-roll with Vogt. They need a 3rd scorer to go with Jarron and Tre'
            My thoughts are more about adding some wrinkles to give other teams additional things to think about. Again, Brannen may have the right approach but I think they are a little predictable at this point and might want to change it up a little bit.

Comment

BG703 - I like your train of thought on try something different. Everyone has us figured out at this point and we haven't played well against anybody even though we've managed to win some games. It is easy to defend us and everyone has our number. Diarra has to play more. He brings energy and he has a soft touch with his shot compared to all the clunkers everyone else is heaving up. I'll give Brannen the benefit of the doubt about implementing his system once he gets his players in here but for now please do something different with this group of guys. Also it goes without saying that they need to defend better and rebound that's just effort.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

Unfortunately IMHO I don't believe Vogt is in a slump but is simply playing to his current capabilities -which were quite good against Horizon League types of centers, but not nearly as good against high major types.
                I tend to agree with you Richard. I probably could have described that better.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I doubt that any great changes are coming this late in the season, especially for tomorrow night's game in Tampa. There isn't time. At this point, the Cats need to play with great effort, overcoming the current lack of depth.

Jarron and Trevon are the heart of this team. They need to be the leaders. Trevon gets it. He's busting a gut on every play. I'm not saying Jarron isn't. During a timeout in the first half yesterday, Cumberland was sweating profusely. He plays at a different speed.

Sampson doubled Jarron every time he touched the ball on the perimeter. Someone else needs to step up, or other coaches will do likewise (although probably not as effectively as the hair-on-fire Cougars did).

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

I believe they refer to that as playing to the back of your baseball card

Comment

Here's some info on the Bulls from the USF Athletics website.

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2020/3/2...-out-game.aspx

Comment

At least we don’t have to deal with the human highlighter uniforms. I missed Rideau’s steal stays. Cumberland better be careful
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

According to Dan Hoard: John Brannen has told the team this is a must win for the tournament. Let's see how that goes. Hopefully they play and don't press too hard.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Jarron is out

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat9796 View Post
                              Jarron is out
                              Well, since my DirecTV package does not include ESPNU, I won’t be frustrated watching UC lose tonight.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X