S M U 1/28 7:00 ESPNews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S M U 1/28 7:00 ESPNews

Well if you asked me 5 years ago I would have not predicted this game would be on ESPNews but here we are. Tickets are still available for this. The Mustangs are 14-4. The four losses are to Georgetown before attrition, at Georgia, at ECU and at Houston. They have wins over UNLV, Vandy, USF, UCF, ECU and Temple. The rest of their Ws are cupcakes.

There are no seniors on SMU's team. Jimmy Whitt Jr. grad transferred leaving the cupboard bare there. The NCAA sanctions are over so they might be close to 10 deep for a change. They are led in scoring by Kendric Davis and Isiaha Mike. Feron Hunt leads them in rebounding. The tallest regular rotation guy is Ethan Chargois at 6'9 so there's a nice height advantage for us. Chargois has typically struggled against our defense both home and away but that was during the last coaching era. The best player on the team outside of Isiaha Mike, is Darius McNeill (Cronin recruit), Who transferred in from Iowa St. and is sitting a year.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ster/_/id/2567
    Last edited by Lobot; 01-25-2020, 02:54 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Tuesday got harder. SMU came all the back from at least 10 down and beat Memphis at the Fedex Forum. Feron Hunt and Ethan Chargois came off the bench in this game too.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401169548
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This one scares me some. SMU is notorious for spreading 5 guys out and trying to go off the dribble. Once the defense sends help toward the driver, they kick. I haven't looked up their shooting % but let's be honest here...

Hopefully we can wear them down with Vogt and an aggressive/under control Trevon Scott. JC will need to continue his bulldoggedness. Jaevin could be the X-factor in this one.
      Cory Huffman
      Cin City

Comment

Originally posted by loshow22 View Post
        This one scares me some. SMU is notorious for spreading 5 guys out and trying to go off the dribble. Once the defense sends help toward the driver, they kick. I haven't looked up their shooting % but let's be honest here...

Hopefully we can wear them down with Vogt and an aggressive/under control Trevon Scott. JC will need to continue his bulldoggedness. Jaevin could be the X-factor in this one.

FG% = 46.6 as a team. Davis and Jolly shoot above 40 for the guards. Everyone else is 40 and down at that position.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here's today's Dallas Morning News article on the importance of this game to SMU. They, like UC, are looking to make an impression and get onto and, then, stay inside the bubble.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sm...nament-bubble/

Comment

This is another game where we have to get the ball to Vogt from the get go. My guess is they will go right at him on offense and try to get him in foul trouble. That will be the challenge keeping him on the court. I doubt they shoot as well on the road as they shoot at home, but as is usual it will be a 5 man wide openoffense for them. If we shoot well, we'll win. Need everyone to be productive, and we'll be ok.

Comment

Vogt has not played well from the get go... Missed some point blank shots... Tre Scott has not shown up for the game on the inside, hit (1) 3pt shot.... Cumberland is heating up and looking like the All American he is...Hopefully Jarron has 10-15pts in him for the 2nd half... Really need Vogt to chip in 7-10pts in the 2nd half.

Comment

So far so good. SMU looks horrible. UC swarming on D and fairly efficient on offense. Would Brannen ever consider playing Sorola and Vogt at the same time? Twin towers?

Comment

Welcome to the Jarron Cumberland show..... Vogt playing much better in the 2nd half.

Comment

Welcome back JC who would have guessed that we would have won this game by 20 pts and bring in some players that dont often get pt. Great win hopefully were witnessing the point when we start hitting on all cylinders. Go cats

Comment

Adams-Woods was absolutely fantastic in this game. The obvious player of the game is JC, but holy cow did MA-W put on a defensive clinic! A guy who averages something like 14-16 a game put up ZERO because he was just blanketed all game long.

Comment

Great game. The old Cumberland is back!
                        Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

Harvey shows recovery speed on defense, but he needs to be on his man from the get go. I do believe that he is improving and he is my favorite Bearct. Overall, it was a pretty groovy game besides the whole team not having a great game. I think it is pretty safe to say that JC took over the game. I was glad to hear the crowd step up and cheer for him.

Comment

Wow! What a commanding win over a decent team. They never got going & we didn't let up at all. JC was fantastic! If we keep up this type of play, we should be an NCAA tourney team.

Comment

That was something last night. Never trailed during the game. Kept their 2 top scores to a total of 7 points and the top scorer scoreless for the entire game. As fun as the offense was last night, the defense won that game. Nice to see both the offense and defense come together at once and also nice to see them play a pretty solid 40 minutes. That went extremely well last night considering it was a subpar night for Vogt and Scott offensively.

Here's the box: https://gobearcats.com/documents/202...200128_SMU.pdf
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X