• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Carolina 1/19 6:00 ESPNU

Guard Jaylen Gardner. (more later)
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Just leave it at that lol shut down the leagues leading scorer and we win the game. All there is to it.

Comment

You're not wrong. If we can channel the Huggins/Cronin defense for a game and shut down the best player on their side, this game gets a lot easier.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Gardner leads the Pirates in scoring and rebounding at 21 and 9. No one else on the team averages in double figures in anything. Gardner has taken double the amount of shots from the field as the next player on the team. He takes double the amount of foul shots compared to anyone else on the team. Keeping Gardner off the line is key. He takes a ton of foul shots and makes 75% of them. This is not a good 3pt shooting team. As a team they shoot 28% from behind the arc. ECU has three 7 footers on the roster. They rotate and none of them average more than 15 minute per game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/151
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          You're not wrong. If we can channel the Huggins/Cronin defense for a game and shut down the best player on their side, this game gets a lot easier.
          Our defense against Memphis was decent, we just didn't score any points to go with it.

Comment

Just looked at the standings in the AAC and the only team worse than we are on the road is in fact ECU.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This is in regards to ZH not being happy about his lack of pt. I may be wrong and I really hope that I am but it seems that when he does get into the games like tonite the other four deliberately avoid going his way with the ball. I have noticed that when he does get in he ultimately heads to the corner and camps there instead of working to get open/ an easier shot and that may be part of the problem. And that be what hes told to do until the system is better learned but in my mind if Im a newbie to the team I would at least volunteer to put the ball inbounds. Im just trying to figure out how a four star recruit looks so lost out there. Am I just imagining things here or do some of you all notice these things too

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                This is in regards to ZH not being happy about his lack of pt. I may be wrong and I really hope that I am but it seems that when he does get into the games like tonite the other four deliberately avoid going his way with the ball. I have noticed that when he does get in he ultimately heads to the corner and camps there instead of working to get open/ an easier shot and that may be part of the problem. And that be what hes told to do until the system is better learned but in my mind if Im a newbie to the team I would at least volunteer to put the ball inbounds. Im just trying to figure out how a four star recruit looks so lost out there. Am I just imagining things here or do some of you all notice these things too
                I noticed that before... however I thought tonight he looked much better and much more aggressive. He didn't overthink things, tonight he just played.

Comment

Harvey just has to slow down and learn to play with some control. The players at this level are big and quick compared to what he was used to seeing, and he's really hurried things. He's developing better basketball IQ. For the most part he didn't force things tonight which he has had a tendency to do. That said, it sounds like from Brannen in the post game that JC is the pg for the duration. They made some modifications, and it looks like that is the plan down the stretch. Good move in my opinion. Now let's make a few shots at Temple.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                    Harvey just has to slow down and learn to play with some control. The players at this level are big and quick compared to what he was used to seeing, and he's really hurried things. He's developing better basketball IQ. For the most part he didn't force things tonight which he has had a tendency to do. That said, it sounds like from Brannen in the post game that JC is the pg for the duration. They made some modifications, and it looks like that is the plan down the stretch. Good move in my opinion. Now let's make a few shots at Temple.
                    An intentional side benefit of moving Jarron to the lead guard, per Brannen, was to get Harvey on the floor more. Cumberland won't be blocking him. Just as important (maybe more so), is that Jarron no longer will have to work to get the ball. He's the best passer and has the best basketball IQ. He will have the ball now, or at least considerably more than in the earlier games.

Comment

I thought Harvey played reasonably well. Early in the game when he first got in he was getting rid of the ball quickly rather than looking for a shot or to make a move. Struck me as a lack of confidence. He's got a good outside shot if he's willing to take it. I've also noticed that when he drives to the basket he either goes in too far or directly challenges a taller player. At this level his shot gets blocked more often than not and he doesn't get the foul call. Yesterday he got stuck under the basket a couple of times on his drives.

It's all fixable stuff that you sometimes get with freshman regardless of how good they are. I can remember Keith doing a lot of driving into doubles teams and traffic when he was younger.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The true frosh who really are ready to contribute in year 1 are a minority. The big asset Adams-Woods has/had which has gotten him a lot of playing time is he plays in control and doesn't force things. It's pretty rare for him to try to force anything and that is a major asset. Talent level is a major leap for the majority of these kids. Back court guys really have to learn to be patient and take what the D gives them. He's much more aware of that versus early Harvey and Davenport. They try to make a play on every touch. It's a learning process.

Comment

Held Gardner to 13 and 8 last night. I thought the press was great from the start and the defense was pretty good too. They only breakdown was in the transition defense after we make a basket. They ran at us a few times and we weren't able to get back. It seemed like we shot better than the stats showed and I thought throughout the game we were up by more than we were. Scott played well with another double-double. There were a lot of fun plays like the backboard pass for the dunk. Good game for the Cats to get some confidence. Now we just need that to bleed over to a road game for once.

Comment

I don't think the team looks to Adams-Woods enough on offense. He is shooting 49% overall and 42% from 3. He passes up on shots to get Tre or others the ball. Like Coach mentions he plays in control and doesn't force things, but I would like to see him push his offense a little more. Keith is the same way. His shooting percentage is 2nd only to Mika (other than the big men) and he just disappears regularly from the offense. In January, Tre has taken 8 3's (made 1). Keith has taken 17 (made 7). MIka has taken 13 (made 3). Tre is away from the rim way too much and should not be allowed to take a 3 pointer. When they play in and out and drive or shoot is where they are successful. Even Harvey got good shots yesterday when they moved the ball in and out.

Comment

Keith's biggest problem is he's not real sure if he should shoot a jump shot or drive the ball. He often let's his first miss from the perimeter impact his decisions after that. You can almost see it when he's indecisive. To his credit he gets to the ft line, but he let's missed shots impact him more than other guys we have. It's great to go to the basket when you can get an advantage, but sometimes he drives himself into trouble. Much improvement, but still can improve.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X