Game Rotation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Rotation

I would look to shrink the rotation to the following off the bench for a few reasons:

Harvey
    Diarra
    J Cumberland

Mcneal out bc: he lacks complete confidence. You can tell based off how he looks late in shot clocks, at the FT line & from deep.

Sorolla out bc: the game is simply too fast for him. I’ve never seen someone fumble the post pass more & unless he gets the ball in good position, a poor shot is going up.

Harvey in: bc he’s big enough & quick enough to guard multiple positions, which offsets the positives that McNeal brings.. he’s good going at the rim & if given McNeal’s minutes, would get us a bucket or two at the rim; whether that’s attacking or stick backs. Finally, because uc needs him in a large roll next season.

Diarra: he’s a more polished version of Davenport in the fact that he doesn’t have fear & attacks with the ball in his hands. Sometimes you just need that even if it’s not always effective. Diarra allows the Cats to have two PF in when Vogt is on the bench. If Vogt is in foul trouble or the situation allows it.. to 4 guards.

Jarron’s ability to run the offense does multiple things in terms of ability to shrink the rotation. Jaevin is more effective when Jarron is running point bc the offense has more flow to it. Jaevin isn’t a creater of shots & isn’t big or quick enough to attack Consistently. He also allows the Cats to go 4-guards at times.. which eliminates the need for Sorolla even more.

the offense goes stale when the ball is in Harvey or McNeal’s hands.. but at least Harvey has time to get comfortable in the offense & his pros outweighs NcNeal’s.

Anyone have thoughts on this??

I think you're pretty close. You have to give Sorolla minutes if the opponent has a good big man simply becuase Vogt can't be out there all day and Diarra doesn't have enough weight to bang around. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night in relation to this against Memphis and Achiuwa. Achiuwa is really good but he's even thinner than Diarra.

I think you're right on McNeal unless there's a need to press. Then you put him out there. He's a good on ball press defender. He almost single handedly got us back in the game against Iowa with steals and ball pressure.

I'd actually like to see Diarra take a few more shots when he's in. He has a good jumper and doesn't use it much because there are normally better options.

Where the rotation has a major issue is when you get Sorolla, Diarra, McNeal, Harvey and Jaevin out there at the same time. That should really not happen unless there's foul trouble.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

TBH I’d rather have Jeremiah in instead of Harvey. Harvey gets very handsy when he’s in there and always gets called for touch fouls. He’s never aggressive on offense. Jeremiah on the other hand is extremely aggressive. He brings energy, rebounds, he’s never afraid to drive or shoot when the offense has nothing going on.

Comment

I am not ready to give up on McNeal or Sorolla. I like the idea of getting Jeremiah, Zach, and Diarra either higher in the rotation or more PT as we will need them next year, but we also need to put the best foot forward to winning now. At 3-1 in conference, there's a lot of basketball yet to be played this season. The Bearcats are not completely out of the Tourney nor am I ready to throw senior transfer student-players to the wayside because they won't be here next year. Diarra is starting to show up as Trevon's primary backup and Zach looks to be a player much in the mold of Keith Williams. I would like to see Keith, Jeremiah, and Zach with the ball when Jarron is off the floor. I have a feeling the point-forward position is critical to fully implementing Bannen's offense. Should Vogt need to sit, I don't mind going "small" with Trevon and Diarra or Trevon and Sorolla. Hopefully, there isn't a great need to have Diarra/Sorolla on the floor together as I think we go with 4 guards/small forwards instead. Brannen's offense reminds me more of some combination of picket line skirmishing except with calvary - attack and pull back until we find an opening then attack quick with assertion.
        Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 01-15-2020, 04:52 PM.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          I think you're pretty close. You have to give Sorolla minutes if the opponent has a good big man simply becuase Vogt can't be out there all day and Diarra doesn't have enough weight to bang around. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night in relation to this against Memphis and Achiuwa. Achiuwa is really good but he's even thinner than Diarra.

I think you're right on McNeal unless there's a need to press. Then you put him out there. He's a good on ball press defender. He almost single handedly got us back in the game against Iowa with steals and ball pressure.

I'd actually like to see Diarra take a few more shots when he's in. He has a good jumper and doesn't use it much because there are normally better options.

Where the rotation has a major issue is when you get Sorolla, Diarra, McNeal, Harvey and Jaevin out there at the same time. That should really not happen unless there's foul trouble.
          I agree with a lot of this as well! Yes, McNeal should be in there in certain situations like the Iowa game or kinda like the game we had @memphis last year when we need to make up points in a hurry & our shots are not falling & we have to press.

agree, we can’t have 3/4 minute periods where we have all of those backups in... need to split them up with some starters.

Comment

I hate to say this about McNeal but if he's out there for defense and gets a steal, he needs to pull it out and wait for a shooter unless he's got a run out. I can't count the number of times he's blown a layup with a defender on him this year.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Im kinda thinking along with Lobot except for Memphis I think I would start McNeal in the stead of MAW simply to have McNeal guard their best scorer to kick things off. MAW tends to get intofoul trouble. McN. could also start instead of Williams but we need his scoring when he decides to show up. If we can suppress their main scoring threat we may just sqeak out a win tonite

Comment

McNeal has looked better recently on the offensive end, and his defense has always been good. He puts a lot of pressure on the ball which is a nice mix to add in. He's got very good historical offensive numbers. You don't quit on a guy because he started slow. He's also been the recipient of a number of questionable passes at the very end of shot clocks by our veteran players when he has to launch a hail Mary. Sorolla's been solid. You have to use him to backup Vogt. Diarra isn't a good passer at all. He can't take over the post role at the point. A non starter.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                  McNeal has looked better recently on the offensive end, and his defense has always been good. He puts a lot of pressure on the ball which is a nice mix to add in. He's got very good historical offensive numbers. You don't quit on a guy because he started slow. He's also been the recipient of a number of questionable passes at the very end of shot clocks by our veteran players when he has to launch a hail Mary. Sorolla's been solid. You have to use him to backup Vogt. Diarra isn't a good passer at all. He can't take over the post role at the point. A non starter.
                  In response to everyone.. the offense stalls when Chris McNeal is in.. I think it's hand-in-hand with his shooting issues right now... CONFIDENCE. He doesn't have confidence in his FT shooting or jumper.. similarly, when you watch him run the defense he looks to John every time for direction.. that is appropriate to do when you are bringing the ball up.. but he's getting the ball with less than 14 on the clock and is looking to coach for answers.. I think it is all confidence.

If you are suggesting Sorolla has been solid based off his #'s alone, sure. But anyone his size will get buckets if given the ball in good positioning. Time and time again he loses the ball on tight passes and is soft with the ball. He is also too easy to push off the block. You can just tell the game is a little too fast for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                    Im kinda thinking along with Lobot except for Memphis I think I would start McNeal in the stead of MAW simply to have McNeal guard their best scorer to kick things off. MAW tends to get intofoul trouble. McN. could also start instead of Williams but we need his scoring when he decides to show up. If we can suppress their main scoring threat we may just sqeak out a win tonite
                    Scoring comes and goes, but Keith's defense is consistent.. he is the second to last person on our roster you would take out of the starting lineup. Keep in mind, the offense does not run through him.. so he won't be the leading scorer every night. He good for the tough buckets and put backs, in addition to the good defense.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X